diphenhydramine (Benadryl/ sleep aid) and HPPD

Sam

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about diphenhydramine and HPPD. I've read on a few websites that it can cause or worsen HPPD. There has even been anecdotal cases of people getting HPPD by taking high doses of diphenhydramine to get high.

I used to take diphenhydramine to as a sleep aid from time to time but haven't been taking it ever since I got mild to moderate HPPD 3.5 months ago. My HPPD has improved by about 50% in the last month and is improving so I don't want to do anything to ruin that. I was wondering if it safe again to take diphenhydramine to help me sleep. My doctor is reluctant to prescribe me any sleeping pills so this is the only option I have.

I took Diph to get high. And well, I got high. Really high. It's not enjoyable. I wouldnt worry about it too much. As long as you arent taking more than one or two, and not very often. You have to take a lot to get high off of it. Anything it would impact would be visual most likely, so as long as visuals remain at baseline, I wouldnt be too worried. Either way relying on Benadryl as a sleep aid isn't a good thing Hppd or not.

i know antihistamines have very strong neuroreceptor actions. Doctors experimented with them in neuropsychiatry and i believe they were used too. I think that in low doses they could make people feel ok. But i know with the antihistamines that have been around a while, in large doses can make you feel terrible for long periods of time. While these things are OTC, these chemicals can be very, very, very strong and detrimental.