ketogenic diet those tagged may be able to enlighten

• 3 weeks later...

Try and keep protein intake normal - keto is not a high protein diet. The aim is just to replace carbs with fats. Fibrous veg like leafy greens are low carb, whereas tubers and grains are high. Roots tend to be high but are more variable. Eat lots of low carb veg. Avoid most sweet fruit - tho berry's are ok, low sweet fruit like lemons are good. Eat plenty of virgin oils especially olive. Cream and butter are basically carbless and low protein. When eating protein, always get the high fat variety eg non-lean meat (and eat the fat), greek yoghurt, full fat cheese milk or cream. Organic meat has a better fat profile than normal, as well as ethical benefits. Xylitol is an ok sweetener for most things, and stevia is ok but is a bit bitter so better for things like coffee where this is disguised. Nuts tend to be good, especially almonds, hazels (peanuts, cashews less good), careful with brazils as they can be too high in selenium if you eat regularly. Keep water intake fairly high as there is a statistically higher risk of kidney stones. I make a bread substitute from flax seed that is nice, but not exactly bread - more of a savoury cake that you can eat like bread that is very filling, lots of omega 3, lignans, fibre etc. Ludwig has a recipe for sweet almond snack bar, and also can use almond flour or no flour to make cakes, or have creamy desserts like posset sweetened with xylitol or stevia. Get the Atkins book for carb info of individual foods, and dont be scared of atkins - the image that it is basically steak and butter is a media invention, and he stresses importance of veg consumption.

I had similar things going in, remember that its more or less like detoxin from a drug. At the two-four week point your brain switch fuel from carbs to ketosis.

A typical daily menu for me is:

Breakfast: 200grams of russian yoghurt (17% fat) and two boiled eggs.

Lunch: chicken thigh fillet cooked with real butter or olive oil. Then i add plenty of cream for it to cook further

Dinner: Some kinda meat cooked in butter/olive oil and then i add either spiced butter or a puré made of mashed broccoli and cream.

If i need snacks i eat some fine cheese or smoked sausage.

Stay away from processed stuff and dont over do sausages, even if they are low in carbs (some sausages contain 10gram+ carbs/100grams.) Too much of processed meat like bacon and sausages can cause bad health. However, bacon and eggs makes the ideal breakfast.

And do not go easy on the fat! You'll need it to stay full.

I did 2 weeks, felt anxious and manic with morbid thoughts. Im now up to around 70 carbs a day

blimey merkan, that is pretty hardcore keto, not much veg in there - you must have been shitting diamonds! Never heard of russian yoghurt before, greek is the best i can get (10% fat). I generally eat not much differently to normal, just replace spuds, rice etc with fibrous veg eg fry-up with boiled cabbage, fish with stir-fry veg, stew with buttered cauliflower.

I do eat some veggies like asparagus. The thing with keto is that the need for water based vitamines is reduced. For instance the inuits survived on whale meat. Also, the tooth issues from sailors was solved by adding fruits when they started eating crops and potatoes alone. The carbs fuels inflamation and with a low carb diet, less vitamines are needed. The essential vitamines one get from meat, fish, cheese, eggs etc.

blimey merkan, that is pretty hardcore keto, not much veg in there - you must have been shitting diamonds! Never heard of russian yoghurt before, greek is the best i can get (10% fat). I generally eat not much differently to normal, just replace spuds, rice etc with fibrous veg eg fry-up with boiled cabbage, fish with stir-fry veg, stew with buttered cauliflower.

Well there is a menu above you can use, just skip the eggs and meat. If your goal is 30grams try to find that yoghurt i talked about and eat more. Use cinnamon. 400grams is plenty and if you find that yoghurt that would be like 16 grams of carbs but plenty enough fat to make it til lunch. If you dont like meat, eat the unprocessed chicken of your choice with cream at lunch. That will give you like 2-3 carbs from the cream as long as its full.

For dinner you can eat salmon with cream cheese spread on (like butter on a sandwich). That is if you arent over sensitive to omega 3 that many with HPPD get. In that case you can make stuffed paprika where you cook the paprika whole in the oven and the cut the top and fill it with cheese and perhaps some grinded meat and mushrooms. If money isn't the issue you can use portabello mushroom instead of meat.

I do not really know how to replace meat (i guess we are talking about red meat here) with anything

else then chicken, fish, portabello or eggs but eggs was out of the equation. Maybe someone else with vegetarian recipes can pitch in.

But do use butter, cream and healthy oils to get full.

Il try it again then. The problem is I hate eggs. I hate meat but iv grown to like it. Any chance you could write me a little menu merkan. Like what would be suitable? Maybe 2 or 3 days worth to give me an idea. Of say sticking to 30 g of carbs.