Star-bursting

Anybody have this go away? It just showed up overnight, so shouldn't it go away just as easily? Its really the only symptom I can complain about, that and slight head pressure, which comes and goes.

Interestingly enough, I have practically no VS. A little, but Id almost say its normal.

On a side note, I told my brother about HPPD, and asked him to be careful, he woke up this morning and has been complaining about static haha, I think hes fine though, just tripping himself out. Makes me wonder how much of this could be psychological.

• Upvote 2

No, not so much during the day, a little bit off the reflection of shiny surfaces, enough to annoy but not really do any harm. At night however it's god awful. Every light in the world looks too bright, and all the rays stretch way beyond my normal field of vision. It pisses me off, I literally didn't have it one night, and the next night I had it.

• Upvote 2

Your lucky, mate. I have that during the day so every reflection of light from the sun is a massive star burst, car parks are hell, peoples jewellery absolutley everything, reflections from lights indoors appear as two so it creates 2 starbursts, there is no escape for me. Everything is saturated in colour for me as well so like the sky is overly blue, greens are overly green etc. If im facing the direction of the sun without sunnies there goes half my vision due to those rays, if i have sunnies on the "laser rays" become more visible.

I also have it at night, but it does not bother me as much, its relief from a full day of it, i have massive auras around light sources and a bunch of pin stripe rays coming off them as well, just be thankful you don't seem to have it as bad as i do, if however it does start in daylight only tips i can give you is SUNGLASSES AND HATS! lol also kinda obvious one but don't stare directly into them, causes massive blotch after images which take a while to dissapear, i find the ones at night cause lots of small after images that flash red to green quickly. Its wierd man, i wish i had a way of being rid of it, it is my worst symptom and like you it appeared over night after drinking but all you can do is try to manage it as best you can.

• Upvote 3

I didn't realize it could be that bad. Was it immediately that bad, or has it worsened over time? I'm sorry to hear that your symptoms are so severe. That is truly a detriment to your quality of life. The whole drinking thing just doesn't make sense to me. I got a little drunk, and it made everything worse. Thanks for the advice though! I just ordered a myriad of supplements to try out, and if that doesn't work ill have to look into something like Keppra. I haven't seen anybody on the internet with starburstng that has gotten rid of them, which is worrisome. There must be a way! Id assume it can go as easily as it came!

• Upvote 2

I noticed it the night after drinking but it was everywhere, it gradually progressed to that level over the course of say a month to where it is now, i can't tell if its still increasing or not as it changes due to the time of day. Its fucked. but anyway im dealing with it as best i can. Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either like prior to that, i was drinking for about 9 months into my hppd before this happened and i stopped, i did notice my ghosting appeared while i was drinking but since stopping no new symptoms. Drinking definitley does affect it. Let me know how you go with those supplements, i have been thinking of trying some multivitamins or something but don't know where to start :S I've been paying attention to the people that have started keppra on here recently and it doesn't seem to affect their visuals but who knows everyone is different with this shitty disorder. I'm afraid to start keppra in fear of the side effects like depression, i already have some pretty bad days so yeh...

• Upvote 2

Yikes, well it's been about two weeks, and I haven't noticed an increase. Hopefully it stays the same. As of now it seems tolerable. Ill be sure to let you know! I've read certain supplements such as Bilberry and Beta-Carotene help with visuals. So i'm going to give that a go. Ive been using magnesium and fish oil. Can't really say if that's helping or not. Ill be sure to let you know after I try the other two. I think I could possibly tolerate some depression from Keppra if it helped significantly enough. Of course, if I was in your shoes, I probably wouldn't risk it. Sorry to hear you feel down sometimes. It's not fair dealing with this. But who knows, things may get better with time.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, that would be great :)

http://www.cornealdystrophyfoundation.org/html/cd_defined.html Have you read up on Corneal Dystrophy before? A lot of people who have one of these mention star bursting, it is making me wonder if i should go back to my eye doctor again, my vision is supposedly 20-20 but this makes me wonder, Have you had your eyes checked at all since it started? There is a whole lot of information on starbursting if you search it in google, should check it out. It is strange that we even have this because it seems only people who have had some sort of eye surgery or people who have inherited it from their parents have it if im reading the information correctly.

• Upvote 1

I haven't read much about it. It happened fairly recently. I just hope it goes away. . . this shit pisses me off. Anyways, no I haven't had my eyes checked. I'm afraid this will somehow make it worse, plus i'd have to tell my parents about it. Anyways I started taking St. Johns Wort and it may be helping a little bit, certainly feel just overall more well. Could be placebo, I don't know. That Corneal Dystrophy seems interesting. . . But honestly, the thing that scares me the most is the lack of people on the internet who have said anything about recovering from this symptom. I haven't found one damn person. People recover from DR/DP, and snow gets better. Or trails go away, and after images stop. Or they take more psychedelics and that somehow helps or changes symptoms to be more tolerable. Such a strange disorder. Nothing to be found about starbursting in my search, yet. Maybe I just suck at searching. I hope I just suck at searching. Though, i'm fairly sure a gerbil could use Google.

• Upvote 1

How long have you been taking it? Any bad side effects? How long does it last and when you say much less do you mean significantly or slighty? Also is it something you could take over a long period of time?

Sorry for all the questions, im very curious as this is my strongest symptom.

• Upvote 1

3 1/2 years

No bad side effects - however, depth perception was a problem that began correcting with Sinemet, but it took a couple years to stabilize (so it was kind of weird)

Significantly as in greater that 50%.

Low dose Sinemet 25/100 can be taken for life. How much is needed seems to vary a lot with people (as discussions have shown). I cycle off every few months to see where I'm at. Also, any med can loose effectiveness over time so cycling increases likelihood that it will remain effective. [ Some do this with Klonopin ]. Some symptoms remained improved even when off the med. Others seem to return to what they were. I think halos, fuzziness and starbursts remain slightly improved when off med - but several years becomes hard to compare without some sort of test/documentation.

Do you have halos and/or fuzzy vision as well?

• Upvote 2

Yeah i got halos and all sorts of visual disturbances, i'd say yeh fuzzy vision would be one of them, it is always playing up sometimes it even seems "foggy".

I'm going to hit the doctor up this week and see what he says about sinement and whether or not i can get it. I really,really, really hope so...

• Upvote 1

I might do the same. Try and cut the problem off before it gets out of hand. Can't say it's worsened though. Also can't say whether the supplements are helping yet. Bout to get a few in that are supposed to be good for the eyes, so ill keep you posted.

• Upvote 1