Klonopin vs. Xanax vs. Valium - how do they compare?

Xanax is good, but doesn't last long, I think that is why people prefer klono... It generally lasts all day. Valium last a long time too, but doesn't seem quite as effective for hppd.

BTW - taking valium on your days off another benzo will not help stop addiction/tolerance.... a benzo is a benzo and your receptors will crave the effects of the benzo, not the type of benzo.

skipping a day is probably too short too.... if you want to use benzos occasionally... you should try and have at least a 2 day break, preferably 3.

I'm thinking of self administering Kpins for my social anxiety disorder and HPPD. What would be a good starting dosage? What frequency might be appropriate? I read some folks take it like 3 times a day; the last one being at bedtime. I was imagining taking it once in the morning and again in the afternoon. Would it be necessary to take it to go to sleep?

I only take it late in evening, you will feel calm and relaxed for a few hours than it will just knock you out. 1mg or .5mg is better to start. Three times a day is excessive, I would take one dose once every 1-2 days as you build a tolerance very fast. It's good for anxiety though you should def get some. I honestly prefer Xanax as kpins are just to sedating for me.

Xanax is good, but doesn't last long, I think that is why people prefer klono... It generally lasts all day. Valium last a long time too, but doesn't seem quite as effective for hppd.

BTW - taking valium on your days off another benzo will not help stop addiction/tolerance.... a benzo is a benzo and your receptors will crave the effects of the benzo, not the type of benzo.

skipping a day is probably too short too.... if you want to use benzos occasionally... you should try and have at least a 2 day break, preferably 3.

how does valium compare to the other benzos for social anxiety?

I went to the doctor here in town to get some xanax. He basically refused to prescribe it to me because he is worried i will try to sell them for 5$ each..... fucking doctors.

Instead he gave me some clonozapem, which i thought was better than nothing. This med is a joke, the effects are mild even with 2-3 mgs and it just made me really drowsy. Xanax is officially the best benzo out there, great effects for anxiety and doesnt make you drag ass all day and fall asleep while your working (like i did today). I cant see why people are so crazy about the klonopin, its a mediocre drug, especially when compared to Xanax.

Each person responds to different meds.... It seems the majority respond well to klono, Xanax is better for you. Simple as that. I've tried both and both worked well, but the Xanax didn't last as long... So stuck with Klono.

Valium is good for social anxiety, I found a 10mg dose to keep me anxiety free for the day... Similar to 2mg of klono.

As I seem to say every day on here though.... think long and hard before you start taking benzos everyday. Are the better, less addicting ways to tackle your anxiety?

Why not just take klono when your anxiety is at its worst., rather than every day? It's a great method without addiction and withdrawal.

You will be amazed at the drop of anxiety JUST from having the knowledge you have a pill you can take, if things get too much.

• 4 weeks later...

Jay is right. Take it when you need it; not every single day, if you can. Eltrigor is right, i think Klonopin can be sedating and it is longer-lasting. Valium isn't used as much any more and it is one benzo that has been for a long time, like about 30-35 years. While i only have an RX for Klonopin, I felt that the best benzo for me was Ativan.

The starting/regular dose for Klonopin or Ativan would be like 1/4-1/2 mg. With Ativan, you could be a little more generous 3/4-1 mg. If you are "losing it" or having a panic attack or the visual disturbances are "crazy", you could take 1mg Ativan or,up to 2mg;; and about ~1mg for Klonopin.

• 2 weeks later...

hey mandy----xanax is a bad idea 'cause of addiction and seizure possibilities. Try Lorazepam (short acting) or Clonazepam (longer lasting).

in America, these drugs are: Ativan and Klonopin (respectively). There are probably like 10-20 different benzos (approx.), most of them outdated and have weird side effects.

It is standard procedure for psychopharmacologist to usually only prescribe Xanax to people who have been on Xanax for a while and people who are addicted to Xanax. Valium, Klonopin and Ativan are less addictive, i believe, than Xanax. V/K/A-->They can be abused and probably are addictive to an extent. But according to 1998, having HPPD alone seems to be handicap enough to dissuade you from getting your license and driving. There are old people who can barely see who have licenses. I think taking 1/8 mg of Lorazepam, is fine to drive on.

''But according to 1998, having HPPD alone seems to be handicap enough to dissuade you from getting your license and driving"

I said "bad advice telling you to drive on any drugs though" I don't mention hppd alone making you handicap from driving lol.

Xanax, klonopin, valium and ativan are all addicting as hell. Most ppl on this board already know this, but just incase I don't want you unintentionally pushing ppl towards these benzo's like my old Dr. did!! After taking these meds for yrs and trying to stop, you'll realize what I mean.

Good day all ;)

1998 is right. Though, i think that if anxiety/panic are going to cause you undue trauma, benzos are not going to hurt. Nobody should feel pressured to partake in any drug-taking no matter what the drug, legal or illegal. But believe it or not, a lot of prescription drugs help. The discovery of penicillin certainly gave the average life expectancy a least 10 years. ....And if you have a headache, taking two asprin is not reprehensible. Nobody can force you to take anything you don't want, even doctors. So make a decision for yourself. I guess you could try some supplements but about that i don't know much.

• Upvote 1

Magnesium, tryptophan, valerian root, kava-kava (hard on liver though) used to help me w/ anxiety when I took them.

Melatonin really does help with sleep as well, if you want to go the natural route.

like hundreds have said I miss the old board, there was so much advice ect..tons of topics I see had already been brought up 100x's over. It would of been great for newbies to just do a search.

Off subject, I was just watching a Documentary on Ozzy and if he doesn't have hppd wtf does he have lol

• 2 years later...