Come on people, let's post more.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, although its not easy. Its a catch 22. People will not starting posting until there is some activity. But, there won't be any activity until people start posting.

People who used to post a lot, like myself Jay, Mandrake, and Merkan, to name a few, haven't been nearly as active and for obvious reasons. We all have lives to live but it was nice to jump on the forums during a bad day or just to join the conversations. Now it's just extra work to get the ball rolling again.

-Dukkha

Agreed, although its not easy. Its a catch 22. People will not starting posting until there is some activity. But, there won't be any activity until people start posting.

People who used to post a lot, like myself Jay, Mandrake, and Merkan, to name a few, haven't been nearly as active and for obvious reasons. We all have lives to live but it was nice to jump on the forums during a bad day or just to join the conversations. Now it's just extra work to get the ball rolling again.

-Dukkha

Left me out <_< . BTW Jay found out about the new site from me. He posted once and then not hear from him since.

The membership has gone down considerably. When I was monitoring the board there were many people who came and went and alot of people who were on for a long time, went away for a while and then came back again. You Dukkha for example.

Also much content, certainly not all quality, but enough quality postings info and sharing to be interesting and at times informative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It depends how bad things get, you may get forced into a corner and have no choice but to fight it. Fuck giving up.

I think most of us long timers from the other board did not give up but may have given in, i.e. accept we have this, try to learn to cope, and keep looking for relief and try different approaches. Since ther is no magic pill, many have tried investigating thigs that aggrivate the conditionm analyze it and set out to make changes. Also much alternative methods of healing seem to have been attempted. Some met with success.

It seem to be, for those persistant, that we go through phases of trial and error, effort and then rest about it all for a while until we then try something else.

Since no one says this has to be permanent but we don't have the solution, it seems natural that people continue with trying to figure out ther own solution.

I will attempt to post every week or so. I suppose I have begun to post less frequently because, not to sound too negative, but nothing really works....keep in mind I have had this for 18 years and this makes it harder to shake so you "new-comers" have quite a bit more hope of clearing things up completely. So I suppose I am completely focused on acceptance. This does not mean I will not continue to hunt for help but that sometimes continual studying of the topic does little more than frustrate me. I made a post in the SUPPORT/FELLOWSHIP section (I think the only one). I think in my case this forum provides solace by way of the group. Uncovering remedies is crucial and posters like Shaolin, Larry, David, Gill etc...have excellent scientific theories. I pay close attention to these but try to derive a greater sense of acceptance through related experiences. I intend to post more none-the-less, if only to create some momentum here.

Thanks for that post Mandrake. Agree, it is mostly about adapting if there is no great reduction of symptoms. But it may happen by a stroke of luck someday for anyone, no matter how long you haave had it.

Posting for the reasons you mention would be good. Thanks.

I am here because of a recurrance afte 18 years free of symptoms. Now for several years I have worse in some areas and more symptoms than I have ever had before. Now since 2003, almost 8 years. No let up in site and this is the longest I ever has bad hppd symptoms. Does not look good fo me either but I am open to new information always (asuming it has practical application, not just another neurological, biological theory that we can't make change in our life to get a benefit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I know that for myself, I watched these forums for about a year and a half or more before I became a member. We need to make this place more welcoming to people who have HPPD. It is not that the forums are unwelcoming. I agree also that I think there is some degree of denial going on, as if to say "If I don't join HPPDonline, then I'm not one of them, I don't really have HPPD like they do." This, while so easily seen as foolish when written down, can be incredibly powerful in the subconscious, and I think really is hampering people from joining. The labeling effect, as its knowin in psychology, is a powerful phenomenon.

I think what people have said about the more we post, the more it will encourage others to post is true as well.

I also think the format of the website could use improvement. Perhaps we could create a tutorial of how to use the site. For example, the "Follow this topic" feature... I have no idea how to use. Perhaps I just click on it, but I haven't bothered yet, as I have so much studying to do I don't want another thing to learn, and I'd rather just mosey around the forums. I think this is innefficient though, obviously.

But for a person with severe HPPD, this might be a very real probelm, because when I had bad HPPD, I literally might not have been able to figure it out, or it would have been a really huge task.

Also, there might be some paranoid thought about privacy being an issue by joining the site. "What if my employer finds out... or my parents... or I leave the computer on and my landlord sees it or"

I think we could use a tutorial. If I get time, I will work on one. And if there already is one, sorry for my ignorance.

• 1 month later...

Drinking hasn't worsened my symptoms over the years, I only drink moderately but I do wonder whether this has stopped a full recovery.

I used alcohol especially in the early days almost like a medicine enabling me to keep a social life

• 1 month later...

No offense to anybody but it seems like the more I post/read this forum, the more worried I become about my HPPD...I check in maybe once every day or two but I have other shit to do in life, I need to keep my mind OFF the HPPD! I won't leave this forum though, because it's full of good people and I think we can all help eachother :)

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable when posting something to a thread when the last activity is like half a year ago. maybe time solved the problems already and then it is useless or at least no one is interested in it...

and I feel the same as IthinkIdosed2much, when reading here about all the symptoms I feel like developing them too...

I am pretty new to this forum, but it is a good community. I won't leave that quickly ;-)