Hey! so who all has speech problems due to their HPPD

Gmo, on 05 May 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

You said in you had speech problems??? Like what?? I had/have speech issues after my bad trips.......it's gotten better over time but I still fumble over my words more than I think the normal person does. I also think I kinda mumble a lot cause I find people are always asking me to repeat myself.

Oh god, yea I had (still kind of have) speech problems that I got after having two bad acid trips, back to back. I have the same issues as you, stutter, say the wrong word, say a word that sounds similar to the word I wanted to say, mumbling and sometimes my sentence structure is out of wack. Thankfully, it's gotten better since I started to take the medication. But before Keppra, I hated talking because I thought I sounded like an idiot and I paid too much attention to my voice, causing me to fumble over my words even more.

i have issues. i substitute words that begin with the same letter or on the same topic. its hard to explain, i fumble words, tend to dither and say uuuuh, alot. it sucks, i used to be so sharp and fast witted ( wanted to be a stand up comedian ) and now im alot slower and not as sharp. plus my bad memory :(

I get those too. It's weird though, sometimes drinking makes me hella DPd (that's when i know that the next day is gonna suck, symptom-wise haha) and other times it makes me, well, drunk and happy. Drinkin really doesnt affect HPPD for me, just the DPDR/Cognitive aspects. But yeah, i just deal with it by staying quiet alot, which sucks. Reading actually helps me both formulate thoughts, and recall things/situations/words that I "used" to know, for at least a while after i do it.

I have speech problems......it's gotten a lot better since it first started though. It used to be near constant but now it's just anxiety related. I don't know how to describe it though, cause it's not like a stutter it's more like it just takes me a while to say what I need to say.....I just fumble over my words a lot but not it a stuttering sort of way. I mix words up too.....and in the beginning I think the inflection in my voice changed and I would pronounce words the wrong way, like emphasize the wrong syllable or something like that, but I don't really do that anymore. For a while there my speech was close to how it used to be when I would trip, just really jumbled and kinda strange.

^^^^^Yea this......I noticed my speech is way worse when I'm anxious cause I'm constantly observing it and wondering if I'm talking normal or not. But when I'm chillin with my roommates my speech problems are near non existent, unless I'm tired or something. Also I feel really clear headed after I exercise, specifically cardio. But other than that I feel like you just gotta be like "fuck it I talk how I talk and I'm not gonna worry about it" and over time your speech'll start to clear up.

• 2 weeks later...

My speech itself is fine and hasn't been directly affected, however this shit made social interaction way harder, which sometimes in social awkwardness. During these periods I observe my speech very carefully as others have noticed, which can lead to fuckups. I also sometimes have trouble not talking in a monotone, but that only appeared around the time I started using Ritalin (before any of this).

I fumble my words around, can't find the right ones some times (luckily i have a big vocabulary and can substitute other words). Some times I stammer over sentences or slur certain words. I think anxiety has a lot to do with it, and how medicated I am (or aren't).

I would suggest working on your anxiety to deal with it.

I fumble my words around, can't find the right ones some times (luckily i have a big vocabulary and can substitute other words). Some times I stammer over sentences or slur certain words. I think anxiety has a lot to do with it, and how medicated I am (or aren't).

I would suggest working on your anxiety to deal with it.

Agreed, I think the speech issues are due to anxiety, not brain damage. Once I got over listing to myself speak and the fear associated with social situations all my speech issues dissipated. :)

sometimes i just dont hear.. people have to repeat things because im in Hppd realm lol,,, tho .. i have worked alot on my speech and especially body language, as it counts for at least 90 % of communication,, also i have worked alot on voice qualitys, i.e. tones etc. I find this to be helpful, because body leads mind and mind leads body to some extent, so it is a good way to change ones state at will.. :) at times im sure i do stumble with words / speaking every so often :)

I have a difficult time processing what people are saying, especially if there is multiple stimuli going on at once. I ask people to repeat themselves a lot. If I know they are getting aggravated I tell them sorry I have hearing issues sometimes. That's usually the end of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i recognise everything here, but i am so much better than i was. It was like your mouth was a pipe and if there was more than one way of saying something then all possible permutations would try and squeeze out of the pipe and get stuck so it came out a bit jumbled. I also thought i had a hearing problem - but my hearing sense is fine but understanding goes if hard to follow or background noise. A freind who was a confident talker took lsd and ended up with hppd - he would sit quietly in the corner with a thesaurus in his pocket and would sit there looking at it, working out what he would have said if he could remember the word.

May help to get a job where you have to talk to the general public. I have to and i think it helps as you have to say basically the same thing so not too demanding but do have to explain yourself to a wide variety of people, tho my speech starts to go when i'm tired.