Melatonine helps

Samm

Yes I mean melatonin, people use it to sleep but it also helps for HPPD.

It's not my doctor that adviced it, but i read an article about some guy who got it from the doctor to get rid of his HPPD.

He took it 1,5 year and he didn't had any anxiety anymore, no depression, no hallucinations, no obsesive thoughts. I can show you his article but it's in Netherlands.

So thats wy I started to take it, it was before i discovered this site.

I am taking it for 5 months now and I am noticing a very good change in the depersonalization and also a little of my derealisation.

I do also notice a little change in my visuals, but maybe 10 %, I'm hoping that if i take it every day ( before i go to sleep ) that after a year or 2 i'm cured like the guy from the article.

I am going to cominate it with keppra or naltrexone.

melatonin - N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine

tryptamine

that kind of alarms me and turns me off taking melatonin. i thought that lsd, psilocybin, and DMT also had scientific names ending in tryptamine. Maybe melatonin is totally unrelated to them and I'm just worrying about nothing though.

Good that it can help! For me it does absolutely nothing. I've been on Circadin (Melatonin) and Valdoxan (Agomelatine) (a kind of melatonin reuptake inhibitor). Melatonin is completely useless for me - it cannot put me to sleep. Valdoxan makes me sleepy but cannot make me sleep on it´s own. I do get clearer dreams from both though.

You should not use melatonin supplements for more than 3 weeks straight, as it can knock out your body's internal production. Keep some space between uses - 2-3 times a week maybe.

Valdoxan is more fitting for long term usage, and usually gives more noticable effects.

melatonin - N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine

tryptamine

that kind of alarms me and turns me off taking melatonin. i thought that lsd, psilocybin, and DMT also had scientific names ending in tryptamine. Maybe melatonin is totally unrelated to them and I'm just worrying about nothing though.

Melatonin is the endogenically produced tryptamine sleep hormone. More endogenically produced tryptamines are serotonin and DMT - all vital for normal functioning.

• 2 months later...

Ok, i copied the article :

Er bestaat niet iets zoals 'er in blijven hangen'. De stoffen die je laat trippen die worden wel afgebroken en kunnen niet maanden in je lichaam blijven. Wat wel zo is, is dat er veranderingen optreden in het brein. Deze kunnen wel zeker overgaan. Ik heb zelf zo'n anderhalf jaar geleden HPPD opgelopen na het veelvuldig gebruiken van Paddo's. Ik ben na een aantal maanden naar de huisarts gegaan. Ik had last van depressie, HPPD, dissociatiestoornissen, dwanggedachten en veel angststoornissen (angststoornissen zijn een onderdeel van HPPD). Ik kreeg melatonine mee van de huisarts en nu, anderhalf jaar later, ben ik er zo goed als vanaf. Ik heb geen depressie meer, geen dwanggedachten, hallucinaties zijn zo goed als verdwenen en ook de angststoornissen zijn verdwenen.

In de DSM-IV (een handboek dat wordt gebruikt door psychiaters en psychologen wereldwijd) staat dat het enkele jaren kan duren voordat HPPD volledig verdwenen is. Een psychose is natuurlijk nog een stapje erger. Bij een psychose ben verbinding met de werkelijkheid kwijt en zul je niet meer goed kunnen nadenken over je situatie. Voor al die mensen die HPPD hebben: HET IS GENEESLIJK! Als je hallucinaties te erg worden ga dan naar de huisarts. Ik hoop dat naast mijn huisarts andere huisartsen ook weten dat je met elke dag een flinke dosis melatonine (5 mg) een heel eind komt. Als je merkt dat je je toch last hebt van een trip dagen na de trip zelf, dan raad ik aan om minstens een half jaar geen paddo's te gebruiken. Laat je brein even het normale evenwicht terugzoeken.

thanks for sharing the article

haha now i can use the little dutch i had on elementary school^^

but iam able to understand the most.

hmm i think its possible this guy recovered because of time which part the melantonine plays you cant say for sure.

its not mentioned which effect the melantonine has directly after the intake, isnt it?

he said after 1 1/2 year he is free of depression, anxiety and DPDR but still has visuals but they have improved.

a lot of people report recovering even without meds after a few month or years.

for me it seems to be the same, no mental comorbid diseases. they disapeared after the first month(s), also my visuals seems to have improved after my onset 10 month ago.

i think melantonine is realy good for all HPPD sufferer who didnt get enough sleep, which is a important step to recovery. but as mentioned before there is sometimes a (temporary) increase in visuals.

lol i think thats my worst english post i ever made its very hard to translate dutch to german and than respond in english now my brain is messed up^^

Its hard to know when so much time goes by, like, did they get better on their own?

Another plus for melatonine is it is a very good antioxidant. And crosses the blood-brain-barrier freely, unlike many antioxidants.

For sleep: take up to 5 mg before bed ( 1mg > 30 years old, 2 mg > 40, 3 mg > 50, ... stop at 5 mg)

To slow the progress of leukemia and other blood cancers, take 20 mg http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16448397

For radiation exposure, 10 - 20 mg daily http://www.naturalhe...rg/nhri/?p=4906

It is great stuff ... but it IS a hormone so best be respected ... just isn't butt-kick hard like many meds/hormones/neurotransmitters.

Doesn't hurt to try it for HPPD ... very mild yet valuable stuff.

lol^

but I forget where I heard this, it might of even been here, but if you take melatonin every day it supposedly makes your brain make less so it's harder to go to sleep when you get off it. I wish I had a source for this

Melatonin helps me sleep but makes my visuals worse the next day. I've only taken it about 3 or 4 times in the past few months. I took it once last night and just took another a few minutes ago (I plan to stop after today for a while, but tomorrow is an important day and I must get good sleep). I have never heard of anyone having long-lasting problems from taking a melatonin so Mandy, I would say you are fine taking it.