Impacts of Sports on your Symptoms  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Does Sport have impacts on your Visuals

• My visuals are getting worse for a short time after Sports
    • My Visuals are getting better for a short time after Sports
    • My Visuals are getting worse while Sports
    • My Visuals are getting better while Sports
    • Sports has no impacts on my Visuals

I'm too uncoordinated to play any real sports, but I go running almost everyday. My visuals seem to get worse during runs, but that might just be because I usually just go running at night. However, when I was at track practice this one time when we did a bunch of sprints back to back with almost no break, not only was I completely out of breath but my tracers and snow got much worse and when I looked up at the sky the floaters were terrible! Jesus it looked like I was seeing all the little cells that make up my eyes.

My theory as to why other people get better during sports is that maybe they just get distracted from their visuals. For example, ferret said everything's gone while he plays soccer and tennis. Well, Soccer and tennis both require a ton of focus on the sport. But when your just out at night for a run, there's really not a whole lot else you can focus on other than your symptoms.

My theory as to why other people get better during sports is that maybe they just get distracted from their visuals. For example, ferret said everything's gone while he plays soccer and tennis. Well, Soccer and tennis both require a ton of focus on the sport. But when your just out at night for a run, there's really not a whole lot else you can focus on other than your symptoms.

I agree. In my case I think it is more the distraction than the physical exertion.

I work out every other day - running and weights. I often get a pulsing blind spot which usually goes away within an hour. In November the trainer took me through a more vigorous workout and after about 15 minutes the blindspot appeared and got bigger and bigger. It looked very like optical migrane symptoms. She was talking to me and the last thing I remember was saying to her 'your whole lower face has disappeared. She told me to sit down and the next thing I knew I was in an ambulance. Apparently I had a grand mal seizure. I don't know if it's HPPD related. I turned 50 last year so I'm no spring chicken but it's a worry and I've never had this before. Not had a reoccurance since though.

i have done a project while my vocational training about sports and mental health.

because of this i have a theory about the impacts of sports on HPPD, i will explain it later because i dont want to influence the poll.

if you cant wait i will give you a hint. its about the role of neurotransmitters while doing sports.

kk so thats only my theorie and i dont promise that i am correct.

as we know SSRIs and others antidepressants are able to make HPPD worse.(high serotonin =bad choice)

also people report that dopamine agonists are decreasing their visuals. (high dopamin= good choice)

furthermore there are case reports of Calcium-channel-blockers(Flunarizine) helping visuals they have an indirect effect on serotonin, too.

now a observation me and some others have made is that smoking cigaretts could decrease your visuals for a short time. but has no effect on others (dont want you starting smoking this is not proven!!)

if you smoke a cigarette the artifically attached sugar burns and releases acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde reduces the enzyme MAO-B. MAO-B reduces dopamine and serotonin in your brain. accordingly more dopamine and serotonin.

furthermore nicotine let your acetycholine receptors react because its very similar to acetycholine.

now i mentioned the main effects this would lead far if you are interrested in these effects you can read it up.....

Now the effects of sport on your brain:(they are not completly claried yet, but there are a few studies which give us an insight) i will share my theory now but this is only a slight insight, if you are interessted read it up for further informations.

studies with treadmill rats has shown that the concentration of the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Serotonin and noradrenalin significantly increases while sports and after the exercises returned to baseline. other studies in rats has shown the long term effects of sports on the neurotransmitters concentration with the result: regular exercise laeds to a reduced basalactivity, while the sensitivity of an acute "load charming" retained. (Meeusen 2001)

there are assumptions that diffrent kind of sports has diffrent impacts on the brain chemestry(note: you cant test it in an human brain)

Exercise, of any kind will have a positive effect on all four of our neurochemicals, but does the type of exercise we perform matter? To some extent, the answer is yes.

When we perform exercise at very high intensity levels, epinephrine levels tend to become elevated, more so than with low to moderate intensity level exercise. Power lifting, weight training, sprinting, interval training, plyometrics, and ballistic training can all create a rise in epinephrine levels. Likewise any sport that relies more on explosive, start and stop efforts than a consistent moderate intensity effort, would create a significant rise in epinephrine levels. This means that sports that utilize more fast twitch muscle fibers than slow twitch muscle fibers will have a noticeable impact on the epinephrine levels. When we recruit fast twitch muscle fibers, we create the same fight or flight response that would be created in response to real trauma. This response generates very high levels of epinephrine and adrenaline.

While explosive forms of exercise and sports generate a rise in epinephrine and adrenaline, low to moderate intensity exercise tends to create a rise in serotonin. Long distance running, cycling, hiking, swimming, yoga, and sports that rely more on endurance than power create a rise in serotonin levels. Therefore, any sport or exercise that recruits more slow twitch muscle fibers than fast twitch muscle fibers, will increase serotonin levels. When we recruit slow twitch muscle fibers, the purpose is to be able to perform moderate intensity exercise for a long period of time. While the chemical connection between moderate intensity exercise and increased levels of serotonin in not fully understood, one could speculate that completing a difficult task, such as a long run creates an increase in positive emotional states, which would positively affect serotonin levels. The rise in serotonin that is experienced with moderate intensity exercise, seems to be similar in nature to the rise in serotonin that is experienced when one is surrounded by good friends and family. In general, when one engages in positive experiences, including exercise at low moderate intensity levels, we see a rise in serotonin levels.

As indicated above, when the serotonin levels rise, the dopamine levels tend to rise in accordance. This means that exercising, or engaging in sports at low to moderate intensity levels would have a positive impact on dopamine levels. We have all experienced the good night’s rest that is typical following a good workout. However, we have probably also experienced the disrupted sleep that can follow intense exercise performed too late. It seem then that low to moderate intensity exercise has a positive effect on dopamine levels, while exercise that is very intense can lower dopamine levels, causing a disruption in sleep. In fact, one of the symptoms of overtraining is a disruption in the athlete’s sleep pattern.

source: http://www.clairedorotik.com/NLWC-EXERCISE_AND_MOOD.htm

or you can read it here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/424692-can-exercise-increase-serotonin-levels/

the same for dopamine:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/532699-dopamine-sports/

but notice there is no increase in dopamine without an increase in serotonin too.

So if you do a hard exercise unit there will be the point where your body gets exhausted a major role in this central nervous fatigue plays acetylcholine whichis important for your muscle to work

here is a good link:

http://www.nismat.org/physcor/muscle.html

IMO this is while the most people notice a decrease in visuals while sports maybe the same effect cigarretts coul have.

but there is also a point when serotonin plays a role in the central nervous fatigue:

Fatigue of voluntary muscular effort is a complex phenomenon. To date, relatively little attention has been placed on the role of the central nervous system (CNS) in fatigue during exercise despite the fact that the unwillingness to generate and maintain adequate CNS drive to the working muscle is the most likely explanation of fatigue for most people during normal activities. Several biological mechanisms have been proposed to explain CNS fatigue. Hypotheses have been developed for several neurotransmitters including serotonin (5-HT; 5-hydroxytryptamine), dopamine. and acetylcholine. The most prominent one involves an increase in 5-HT activity in various brain regions. Good evidence suggests that increases and decreases in brain 5-HT activity during prolonged exercise hasten and delay fatigue, respectively. and nutritional manipulations designed to attenuate brain 5-HT synthesis during prolonged exercise improve endurance performance. Other neuromodulators that may influence fatigue during exercise include cytokines and ammonia. Increases in several cytokines have been associated with reduced exercise tolerance associated with acute viral or bacterial infection. Accumulation of ammonia in the blood and brain during exercise could also negatively effect the CNS function and fatigue. Clearly fatigue during prolonged exercise is influenced by multiple CNS and peripheral factors. Further elucidation of how CNS influences affect fatigue is relevant for achieving optimal muscular performance in athletics as well as everyday life.

source: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2534413

note this is also only a possibility and not completly occupied!!

there are a lot more impacts sports has on your brain like it is supposed to help your brain plasticity grow and others

also the whole mechanisms i mentioned above are alot more complex and you can find a lot of interesting books about it on googlebooks for example.

its only a theory and you could read about it if you are interrested.

also i have a few problems with my "schoolenglish" explaining the scientific operations.....

maybe i will write alittle bit more in a few days...

what ur saying is a release of dopamine combined with seratonin produced by smoking AND sports temporeraly helps us heal visually? however lots of sport may permanantly help?

hmm as for smoking and sports i dont know i think that smoking is not good at all also the problem is dopamine and serotonin increase both but i noticed since i cut out cardio and only do wight lifting my visuals arent really worse after the work out only wen i am doing strengh-endurance my visuals seem to spike for an hour after sports if i smoke a few cigaretts after the workout they are back to baseline dont know if the nicotine has an effect or if they would return to baseline in the same time without smoking.

and yes exercise is IMO one of the most important parts of the recovery. there are assumptions that sports has a long term effect on your brain. but this is an other chapter too late today to write it down^^

also sports with a danger(bungee, motorsports and so on) seem to be more effective on dopamine than serotonin.

Sport is a cure for me, even if it only last for a short time... I love it.

I play football (soccer) twice a week here in portugal... most of the time it is blazing sun and blue skies.... I get to the pitch and i'm seeing crazy VS and after images.... As soon as we kick off, I don't even notice it... not one bit. Just pure focus. Surfing/boadyboard is the same, especially in big waves.... too scared to see visuals :)

I belive that's you riding bmx, that's just fucking bad ass. I feel high just watching that, unbelievable and I'm hard to impress. You look happy as hell on your bike hppd has nothing on you!

Aww naa man thats not me sorry, thats my hero. Im not as good as thatyet. I have some videos but nothing as crazy as that!

"Aww naa man thats not me sorry, thats my hero. Im not as good as thatyet. I have some videos but nothing as crazy as that! "

You were about to be my new hppd hero j/k (DK.) put a few videos up if you have time take care!

• 3 years later...