Motion Sickness

Br0k3nS41nt

First post,

Anyway, yeah it appears I have acquired a hopefully mild case of HPPD from my first and definitely last (really good) mushroom trip last Friday. My only symptom is constant breathing and distortion through almost all of my visual field, I do not have visual snow, DR/DP, or other symptoms so far so I am quite fortunate. I also have learned to cope with the visuals so I do not have much anxiety so the medication route is really out of the question. Here is my point, the only really negative symptom I find harm in is a slight tint of motion sickness omnipresent throughout my day. Anyone with breathing objects who also experience motion sickness? If so how do you deal with it?

I wouldn't call it motion sickness in my experience becasue I wasn't moving (everything else was) but I think I know that twisted stomach feeling that is reminiscent of motion sickness.

Consuming ginger (ideally in its natural form but even ginger can work a little bit) helps settle the stomach. Get the ginger root and make tea with it our just juice it and drink it like a shot of liquor. It really helps to settle the stomach.

Dukha

There's probably two main possibilities for the motion sickness your experiencing.

One, it could just be that you eye are trying to adjust to movement they are experiencing/seeing. Simple enough right and hopefully it will work itself out.

The other and it may be related is a vestibular issue that you've picked up from the HPPD. Vestibular issues usually entail an ear/eye/balance coordination that may have gotten off a little bit. There's a pretty simple way you can check to see it that may be the case. Have somebody shake your head back and forth quickly while your trying to focus on an object and see if one of your eye's trail or both, don't try too hard, just be natural. Or have someone shake your head around rather rapidly and just see if one of both eyes trail or if they snap quickly to where they are suppose to be looking at. This type of problem usually involves and spinning sensation(vertigo), dizziness, balance coordination, and most of the time effects one side more than the other so you might start leaning one way more than the other. That may or may not be what your experiencing, couldn't tell you. Could just be fluid in the your ears too which can lead to vestibular problems. Actually it's all kind of related meaning the first main possibility about HPPD. A neuro-ophthalmologist can diagnose it using something called a nystygmography (misspelled) but the first thing they'll usually do before that is shake your head around to see if your eyes trail. It's a fixable condition so don't get too worked up about it if that's the case. They'll just have you do some exercises that reset and strengthen the vestibular system and you'll be good as new.

I'm only saying because it was something I had to go through like two summers ago. With a nystygmagraphy they'll lay you on a bed and blow hot and cold air into your ears and take some readings to see if you fall in the range I guess. My guy had the machine in his office.

Vestibular problems is one of the overlooked issues concerning HPPD in my opinion, even to people that have already been to neuro-ophthalmologist because we'll go in there focusing on the our strange visual phenomenon and I have concurred that with a couple of other people if that amounts to anything. One of the exercises I had to do was stare at an object and shake my head back and forth at particular paces. It's kind of weird because once you vestibular system starts picking up again it starts spitting out useless information that comes into your visual field, meaning like if you turn your head and things get blurry relatively easily the blurryness subsides if that makes any sense, like the trails, or if objects seems jumpy if you move your head too quick. It will help your vision a little bit overall if your experiencing problems like this. Just my experience.

Hope that helps, it's nothing to really be scared about.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice,

Now that I researched vestibular issues I have come across the different problems that come with a screw up that part of your body. Its been three weeks now and while things do not as much breath on me anymore it feels like I am on a boat in rough sea, things still move in my visual field some of the words as I type are bending, but it is very minor and I can tune out my symptoms if I am doing something where I cannot focus on it, like I said in my first post. This got me thinking about the day and the day after the trip, I was sick, minor fever, bad soar throat, bad cough, really bad nose run. Perhaps, I got labyrinthitis which can develop from upper respiratory infections, and can lead to severe vertigo. Perhaps, it was coincidence that I did shrooms then got labyrinthitis the next day, then misread the illusion of movement of vertigo as the illusion of movement of HPPD. I have read vertigo can be more than just a spinning feeling, it can be a rocking motion (which I feel). There is other symptoms that lead me to believe it is this, such as the severity of the rocking motion inside my body, which gets worse when I close my eyes or lay down. My sense of direction is a bit wacky, as well as feeling like I am pulled to one side or the other. I have been experiencing tinnitus. There are two things that make me still believe it may be HPPD, I experienced this change the day after my shrooms trip, the slight bending of straight objects, and some of the weirder distortions in objects that occasionally occur. I am probably going to go to the doctor complaining of vertigo and see what they come up with.

The internet describes vestibular disorders very similarly to the version of HPPD I may have, many of the symptoms overlap. I am very confused.

Thanks for the advice,

Now that I researched vestibular issues I have come across the different problems that come with a screw up that part of your body. Its been three weeks now and while things do not as much breath on me anymore it feels like I am on a boat in rough sea, things still move in my visual field some of the words as I type are bending, but it is very minor and I can tune out my symptoms if I am doing something where I cannot focus on it, like I said in my first post. This got me thinking about the day and the day after the trip, I was sick, minor fever, bad soar throat, bad cough, really bad nose run. Perhaps, I got labyrinthitis which can develop from upper respiratory infections, and can lead to severe vertigo. Perhaps, it was coincidence that I did shrooms then got labyrinthitis the next day, then misread the illusion of movement of vertigo as the illusion of movement of HPPD. I have read vertigo can be more than just a spinning feeling, it can be a rocking motion (which I feel). There is other symptoms that lead me to believe it is this, such as the severity of the rocking motion inside my body, which gets worse when I close my eyes or lay down. My sense of direction is a bit wacky, as well as feeling like I am pulled to one side or the other. I have been experiencing tinnitus. There are two things that make me still believe it may be HPPD, I experienced this change the day after my shrooms trip, the slight bending of straight objects, and some of the weirder distortions in objects that occasionally occur. I am probably going to go to the doctor complaining of vertigo and see what they come up with.

The internet describes vestibular disorders very similarly to the version of HPPD I may have, many of the symptoms overlap. I am very confused.

When I first got hppd after mushrooms I remember having that motion sickness feeling you're describing. It def has gotten much better. The only time it really bothers me is when I don't sleep well. Like you said, try not to focus on it by staying active your body is trying to adjust. Also the more you keep reading even though you're just educating yourself, the more you'll focus on these bothersome problems.

Wish I had an explanation for you, Just have to take this disorder one day at a time...Feel better!!

Oh ya, I actually got food poisoning from the shrooms I ate. Haven't heard any others mention that but who the hell know what kind of poison I ate. Also the food poisoning lasted 3 days, Hppd has been since 1998......Hope this makes some sense I'm falling asleep as I type Later

btw anxiety will make you feel dizzy and possibly sick to your stomach as well

Weird turn today,

I just had(having) a strange ass experience, which leans me even further toward a vestibular problem. I was sitting on my computer and had the weirdest feeling come over me, like my room was rotating upside down, it got so bad my head went with it. This freaked me the fuck out, I could walk but it felt like something was pushing me to the wall. Things are relatively steady, except perhaps some of the edges of objects which look like they are somewhat moving, it just seems like the world I am in is slowly tumbling down a hill over and over and over. I am probably past my peak of this thing whatever it is, but wow... just wow. I feel like I am sitting sideways on a wall.

I don't think it is from shrooms anymore, I have not touched a drug excluding a shot of alcohol last weekend and this very sudden onset feels like it maybe from something else.

PS Sorry I don't mean to journal through my problems to you guys, I know you have your own problems probably far worse than I. I just helps me reason if I write things down.