19 and beat

jborj653

Hey so two months ago i decided to sober up completly. I used to drink and do Ex everyonce and a while (i did it more in highschool). and everything was fine the first three weeks,but then i got a panic attack and overall my anxiety levels were extremely high. Then i noticed some of the weird little visuals like little speckles on the walls when its dark., silver little dots in the sky during the day, halos over lights, after images, weird moving things on walls, and the more i noticed these things the more i started to freak out. It got to the point where i was obbsessing overy every little thing, was constantly anxious, and was convinced that i was developing schizophrenia. Lately the visuals have gotten even worse. The worst part of the day is during the day because i have so much anxiety now and by the time its night time im so tired from all the mental exhaustion that i dont even care about the visuals but honestly its a living hell. Now im even feeling like im in a dream and everything feels so weird. Its hard to hold a conversation with someone, its hard to focus, its pretty much hard to do anything because i just feel like my brain is so foggy. Every damn day feels like a battle to just get to the end of the day. I even saw a psychiatrist and all they did was give me zolaft. I dont know if i wanna take it tho, im just afraid of the side affects. But yeah i guess thats my story. Im only 19 and life is already an ongoing battle. But yeah any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Stay away from the meds, for now.

There is a good chance that this will go away, possibly even within the next few months. I know it seems like there are not many success stories here.... but there have been, especially on the old hppd forum.

I'm not sure what your current situatoin is (School, work etc?).... Is it possible to take a month off and just get your head together a bit, in your own enviroment? Then start slowly introducing yourself back into "normal life".

Take a look at this topic - http://hppdonline.com/index.php?/topic/745-general-advice/

Good luck, Jay

Thanks man. and yeah im only taking one class (had to drop the other two due to stress) and im working with my dad so its not so bad. But i was wondering can hppd cause increase sensitivity to sound? oh and this is another new symptom, sometimes i see like random light purple blob like things mostl on white walls or at night

welcome to the forum dude, i too am 19 and iv had hppd for just over a month after i took some mdma, then a little MXE and just, didnt seem to come down properly

i too at first thought i was going insane and it still concerns me now and again but a few tips i have in dealing with it is that remember like normal u will have good and bad days. i thought i was about to be fully healed then it relapsed over the past 3 or 4 days but wel see.

the main thing is stay away from drugs, cafeine, alcohol. try eating healthy, lots of fresh OJ and vitamins etc. and try ur best to ignore. telling urself u dont have hppd is pointless its like ignoring a broken leg..its not gunna help i dont think but dont dwell on it. when u feel good make the most of it, try and live ur life and do things, dont let it hold u back and it should hopefully heal up.

yea, sound can be affected... and if you look hard enough, you will find all sorts of visual strangeness.... even people who don't take drugs will see all sorts of crap if they actively search it out. I know it is hard not to focus on what is in front of your eyes... but you have to try.

It might be worth stopping reading about hppd for a while, once you have researched the basics on what to do and what to avoid.

yeah imma try to stay off this site for a while, i need to just chill out. But now that i actually think about it maybe ive always had this and never really noticed it. Its just once my anxiety levels got super high so did my hddp. I wonder if it has to do with the psychological stress that comes with beginning sobriety

Just try to keep yourself busy doing normal things. You will probably be fine in a few months. Looking for symptoms can only make you worse.

Remember that it is extremely unlikely that you are schizophrenic. I know that that fear can be disturbing but just try not to worry about it because worrying will only make your recovery take longer..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 19 as well. Strange. I feel for you man, i cut back on the bud, and the beer. Sweet Jesus, the beer :( But, as most wise men say, this too shall pass. In some form or another. Just keep on keeping on. Get excited about other things. Maybe go for a walk, play a sport, develop other interests. I think a big problem is an inherent dependency or, desire for drugs. Which obviously has a lot of us in the same boat. Just keep your mind off it, I find movies to be a really nice way of zoning out lately.

-Cheers man