EMDR possible cure?

cs1234

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_desensitization_and_reprocessing

Lately I've been researching hppd a lot and have seen multiple internet sources relate it to post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Well, I was thinking maybe if HPPD was like PTSD then maybe the cures would be similiar. after researching treatments, i came across eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy. in a nutshell, its pretty much this therapy where you think about what your mind cant seem to let go of while your eyes follow a moving object. apparently, eye movement allows the brain to sort of 'unfreeze' itself (or at least thats what the guy who made this process thought).

this last phrase kind of sunk into me, because even if you never had a bad trip and technically dont have ptsd, then maybe the brain just hasnt unfrozen itself from the trip; and maybe thats whats causing hppd. Anyway, this is merely my theory and I know the logic is flawed because there are people with hppd that have never tripped, but like I said its just my theory for people who got hppd from hallucinogens.

So anyway, I included a link to emdr's wikipedia page. the whole 8 step process sounds pretty expensive for something that probably wont work, but it has cured PTSD in the past and I think it might be able to help out with hppd.

Share your thoughts.

my huge worry for things like this is that il be left out. like id love to try all these things but most of the studys are done in america, im stuck in north rural scotland, the local doctor hadnt heard of hppd and had never met a hallucinigen user. a huge part of hppd for me is fear. im scared my vision will get worse, im scared il go insane and im scared im missing/will miss a treatment that might help

When I was in rehab I did 12 sessions of EMDR. In the YuhEss, a therapist needs to be certified in order to conduct sessions, however, my awesome therapist was discussing it with me and it is actually something you can almost do with just a friend to listen and take notes. The way it works is they hold a dry-erase marker and move it back and forth (or if you have bad tracers like me, you tap your left leg, then right leg, then left, etc. tapping each leg about 2 seconds apart from each other). As you are doing this, your accomplice is telling you to focus on a one specific event that you are trying to work through (this event obviously being a traumatic incident i.e. abuse, bad trip, etc) As you focus on this, the person waves the marker left, right, left right, for about 2-3 minutes. At the end of this, you name all the emotions you are feeling and rate them on a 1-10 scale. After this, you repeat and do another "set". At the end of this set, you state the emotions.. If they are the same emotions as before, then you rate them once again (they will most likely be the same list of emotions). Continue this up to a maximum of 20-30 sets, you should notice an improvement in the ratings by about set 4-6. I probably shouldn't be writing this because I am not a registered therapist (yet!), let alone I am not EMDR certified. I have never tried this with my HPPD, however, mine was not induced by a specific "bad trip", I don't really consider any of my experiences with psychedelics to be bad... Other than PCP and that experience did not lead to my HPPD. As far as trauma goes, it has done WONDERS for me! I am going to be a year sober in a few months and I don't think I could have done it wifout therapy, including EMDR.

The theory behind it is that, during traumatic experiences, some of our emotional/psychological energy is locked and barricaded within the emotional hemisphere (left vs. right brain argument). In doing so, our psyche is rigid in the fact that emotional memory can not be brought into the left hemisphere of logical thought or reason... Therefor impeding our ability to process events and work through them in a logical manner. EMDR allows for emotional processing by increasing communication *hence the bilateral stimulation- left,right,left,right. between the laterally divided sections of the brain. In doing so, EMDR is a conduit to plasticity and openness in our judgment and understanding of emotion. Hope this helps, and if anyone has some more specific questions about EMDR, PM me. I am a firm believer in its affinity for trauma reprocessing, and I am an advocate for sure. Never tried it for HPPD, but maybe I will think of some core beliefs that revolve around my condition and try to work through those with some other psychology majors... Thanks for the idea! Great post!

Just think about it...when people here think that years from now there's gonna be a cure for HPPD, they think about a pill. Maybe the answer lies somewhere else...

*edit*-lol I just remembered theres like a whole other forum section about other remedies I thought I was onto something for a second

"

hankmode

Sep 08, 2009

To: anyone

I suffered with derealization/depersonalization for the last ten years and have recently banished it with the help of EMDR.(eye movement desensitised reprocessing). Totally natural and works on the basis of REM (rapid eye movement), which occurs when we sleep. Derealization is usually brought on by trauma that our brain can't process. EMDR stores the trauma away where it should be, allowing us to stop reliving that bad experience, hence derealization. Look EMDR up. No medication involved and no side effects. I have weekly 1 hr private sessions. £65.00 per session. Not sure if on the NHS. Your GP should be able to recommend EMDR therapists in your area. This is the only thing that has worked. And it's good to feel 'normal' again. If you want to ask me anything, feel free. All the best."

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/Is-there-anyone-here-with-Derealization-Depersonalization/show/971954

Nice to try.

i believe this is very possibly something that might work

my BPD is also linked to PTSD as well as anxiety and various dissociative symptoms, and i have aid on this site before that i think without my BPD i dont think i'd have this either, like i have a certain part of my brain (that i cant remember the name of) that is alot more vulnerable than most peoples

maybe thats the case for us all, and ppl with PTSD etc!

very intersting thankyou ;D