dna methylation/epigenetics

brendan

Epigenetics: how our environment effects genes

A good example of this is a disease called Phenylketonuria (PKU).

This is a genetic form of mental retardation that is not expressed unless the essential amino acid phenylalanine is ingested.

(phenylalanine is in all sorts of foods: dairy, meats, avocado, nuts, and diet soda etc.)

Basically, the PKU problem ends up being you can't turn phenylalanine into tyrosine.

Phenylalanine is the precursor to:

DLPA_RXN_Phenylalanine.GIF

Basis for a HPPD cure could be RNAi-facilitated de-methylation of nerve growth factor-inducible protein A (Ngfi-A) binding site located in the Nr3c1 gene exon 17 promoter. Expression of exon 17 containing mRNA seems to be unique to hippocampus, so that methylation of exon 17 specifically reduces Nr3c1 expression in hippocampal sites.

Or just some other de-methylation method (including that which can be induced by serotonin) of 5′ CpG dinucleotide region of Ngfi-A: to un-silence that expression.

http://www.jneurosci.../27/7/1756.full

http://www.schizophr...ail.asp?id=1496

[This is if you can find some similar chemical correlation

between childhood trauma and co-morbid anxiety disorders of HPPD]

• 1 month later...

Demethylation is the chemical process resulting in the removal a of methyl group (CH3) from a molecule. A common way of demethylation is the replacement of a methyl group by a hydrogen atom, resulting in a net loss of one carbon and two hydrogen atoms.

One example would be demethylation of neurotrophic factor genes in dentate gyrus neurons through

deep-electrical stimulation.

Neurotrophic factors are a family of proteins that are responsible for the growth and survival of developing neurons and the maintenance of mature neurons. Recent research has proven that neurotrophic factors promote the initial growth and development of neurons in the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system and that they are capable of regrowing damaged neurons in test tubes and animal models. Neurotrophic factors are often released by the target tissue in order to guide the growth of developing axons. Most neurotrophic factors belong to one of three families: (1) neurotrophins, (2) glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor family ligands (GFLs), and (3) neuropoietic cytokines. Each family has its own distinct signaling family though the cellular responses elicited often do overlap.

Currently, neurotrophic factors are being intensely studied for use in bioartificial nerve conduits because they are necessary in vivo for directing axon growth and regeneration. In studies, neurotrophic factors are normally used in conjunction with other techniques such as biological and physical cues created by the addition of cells and specific topographies. The neurotrophic factors may or may not be immobilized to the scaffold structure, though immobilization is preferred because it allows for the creation of permanent, controllable gradients. In some cases, such as neural drug delivery systems, they are loosely immobilized such that they can be selectively released at specified times and in specified amounts.

Deep-Brain Stimulation (DBS)

It has been shown in thalamic slices from mice[9] that DBS causes nearby astrocytes to release adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a precursor to adenosine (through a catabolic process). In turn, adenosine A1 receptor activation depresses excitatory transmission in the thalamus, thus causing an inhibitory effect that mimicks ablation or "lesioning".

[note: This Epigen/DNA thread I had crossed-out Radio-Frequency Ablation (RFA) {haha}]

• 6 months later...

I concur, epigenetics would be a promising research target. Sadly, it is far beyond my current comprehension.

Now I vaguely remember reading an entire article on how the erosion of Telomeres in DNA caused by chronic stress, were shown to be reversed and restored by initiating a healthy lifestyle with little stress (read: naturally induced indirect gene therapy).

Man I wish I could find that article, it was quite amazing, and very elaborate. But perhaps if someone here is motivated, they could find it.

And suddenly I remember a documentary "The 7-year old surgeon" about this kid who believes he could one day cure cancer with an oral epigenetic treatment.
But anyway, any updates on epigenetic theories?

• 3 weeks later...