How well do you understand HPPD? Or any non-proven theories?

alice-acid

What parts of the brain is effected? Why? How? I have researched it ALOT of course but just can't get to grips with it all....

I kind of understand the fact that it's at least partly to do with our brains no longer editing things out properly.

Also like it says anyone got any theories about it? I'm just very interested in it all and have little patience with difficult to read sciencey bullshit haha.

From what I remember, the qEGG tests done by hppd sufferers showed increased activity in the area of the brain thought to be connected with visual activity. This backs up your idea of the brain no longer editing things out.

I think of hppd as lowering a filter on our visual activity.... all the stuff we see is natural, but is filtered out by a normal brain. Drug use has led to that filter being lowered to the point where we can see all that natural stuff.

Why natural? floaters are natural, visual snow is natural (white blood cells), after images are natural (many tests online for the normal person), seeing faces (very human thing), seeing patterns (again, very human trait).

dp/dr, anxiety etc are harder to understand. I'm not sure if they are a side product of the constant visuals.. or a seperarte issue. The fact that benzos seem to help all these aspects leads me to think they are connected.

hahaha, no probs. I spent a good few years researching it all too... Think it's good to have an understanding of what we are fighting.

how's life in Manchester? My family are from the north, plenty of mates in stockport (brinny, nice!) and manchester.

yea, it's worth doing, even if it's just for a while. My life got so much better when I went travelling, new people, new places, new experiences... Not so much time to sit and dwell on hppd... and sun definitely makes me feel better. Nothing like strutting along the beach in the blazin sun.

From what i think, is that hppd is possibly a genetic disorder where LSD and other hallucinogens may alter inhibitory neurons in the perceptual pathways of the brain. Like jay1 said, this is thought to lower the visual filter. I also think that the random blobs of colors we see are colors of the visible light spectrum we're not supposed to see. Which could explain why some people find the world to be more bright (or the brightness to change) because visible light is not being registered properly.

I think the stuff alters the nerve pathways in the brain so that you become more sensitive to visual stimulus. But it's not just visual. Perception I notice is related to emotional states, so it's important to focus on emotional health, and this will make hppd less of a big deal.

yeah ive noticed that when i used to get panic attacks when my visuals were at thier worst, that actually if when i forst noticed it happening i just ignored it and powered on, rather that glimpsing at the patterns on the wall every 2 seconds anxiously that the panic attack never came, and my visuals calmed back down again alot faster ;P

From what I remember, the qEGG tests done by hppd sufferers showed increased activity in the area of the brain thought to be connected with visual activity. This backs up your idea of the brain no longer editing things out.

I think of hppd as lowering a filter on our visual activity.... all the stuff we see is natural, but is filtered out by a normal brain. Drug use has led to that filter being lowered to the point where we can see all that natural stuff.

Why natural? floaters are natural, visual snow is natural (white blood cells), after images are natural (many tests online for the normal person), seeing faces (very human thing), seeing patterns (again, very human trait).

dp/dr, anxiety etc are harder to understand. I'm not sure if they are a side product of the constant visuals.. or a seperarte issue. The fact that benzos seem to help all these aspects leads me to think they are connected.

Pretty much the same conclusion I've came too.