merry christmas, old member, the new cocktail I found that best helps HPPD

joe

Curious drug ... favorite part is that in increases dopamine. Also reduces some acetylcholine (ideal combo for Parkinson's)

The NMDA action is confusing since it can cause neurotoxicity (brain injury) but surely they must have this one well behaved, else they wouldn't give it for people with Alzheimer's - yet text also talks about its NMDA action as being neuro-protective [ guess I'm just too tired to understand what I'm reading right now ]

Will certainly add it to the list on ones to talk to the doc about.

Glad it is helping you.

• 3 weeks later...

of course dude, i've had this for over ten years. i've been put on everything at some point or another unfortunately, that was my life. For me, Namenda seemed to fill this gap I had so to speak, and just seemed to even out my mind. Maybe just really knocking out the depersonalization aspect and visual slightly yet leaving at least me feel normal enough that none of the other shit even bothers me. I really don't think about it that much or feel this like never ending search to find an applicable treatment. I guess if I look back over the last eight months or so, I've made quite a lot of positive improvement overall even though I've had a ton of stress placed on me personally, I probably would not have handled life half as well if I hadn't come across this if I want to be honest about it.

I had this for 10 years before I even knew the name, let alone the treaments... So, you never know. it just seems that these more unusual treatments only seem to be helping those that also use klonopin.

Anyway, i'm glad something is working for you. If anyone else has success with this, please make a post.

• 1 month later...

well since noone really picked up on this too much, i want to throw a couple more things into it. First their seems to be a synergistic applicability with the use of namenda and exercise combined with whey protein. There's all kinds of crap in whey protein, I just get mine from wal-mart. but it contains glutamine and taurine along with who knows what else that I don't want to get into that's is probably facilitating a healing process. Chiropractic has helped too but I've had back and neck problems for years. I went through the fibromylagia aspects of this too way back as well. I know I wrote a ton on say naltrexone and I'm not writing so much about this. I've been rather hesitant due to it's positive effect I have had with it and not wanting to steer people down a wrong road. Some people have had some success with NAC supplements, if you read up a little on it, NAC supplements work on NMDA receptor modulation as well. Also, Namenda has been the least side effect prone medication I've ever taken in this realm, I didn't gain weight, so on and so on. If you do take this route you will have to compliment it with klonopin or diazipam. The half life of namenda is 60 to 80 hours so it seem to neutralize the buildup, you can even look that up. NMDA modulation is where several of the newer meds are looking to work on that haven't come out yet. Also, don't go wacky with the whey protein working out thing, it can get completely backfire on you, take it slow, the brain is the slowest organ the heal so be patient with yourself, I get the feeling they may be finding all sorts of new applications for this drug. if you need to know more, just hit me up, but take your time with it...

first off, mental clarity, I don't feel like i'm freakin all over the place, physical pain associated with the condition, go slow with it, I don't know if this would go for everyone but it did for me, it trickles down from there. there's more but go slow. it's not really a rough med by any means

btw, try to avoid things like sunglasses and such as much as possible. Using these sorts of instruments help compensate with the fixed situation, but if you grit through it, you brain starts to adjust back. just my two cents, I would imagine vestibular rehab would help too i.e. gaze stabilization but take it one step at a time, I doubt I could be the only one. Just the quietness of mind makes it worthwhile. best of luck folks, any questions, ask.....

Recently spoke with a doctor about trying Mematine (Namenda). He is willing so it is in the cue (which is getting rather long). Its considered a crapshoot but should be harmless to try. If possible it is best to work with meds that have minimum side effects and are not hard on the liver or kidneys.

try to avoid things like sunglasses and such as much as possible

Curious, what has your experience with sunglasses been? Visuals?

I would imagine vestibular rehab would help too i.e. gaze stabilization but take it one step at a time

Do you have vestibular problems?

A doctor who specializes in visual problems from brain injury mentioned vestibular problems can be involved since the function helps to establish a baseline for where you are in space.

Also, one technique employed is to do multiple things at a time – such as walking in a figure 8 and reading out loud from a page taped on the wall. Multitasking exercises help the brain to ‘expand’ function since often injury causes focus problems.

in my opinion, sunglasses are are used for compensation obviously, you'll find that if you try to avoid them while taking namenda that your brain will desire to adjust back to where it was, the same as you brain adjusting to low light or low sound. Yes I have had vestibular problems which also seems to run with HPPD and mine may be more unique to my own situation. HPPD seems to blow out or confuse the vestibular ocular reflux hence inability to hold a gaze on an object without an exaggerated trailing effect. Look this med isn't perfect, no silver bullets, but life is more than tolerable, exercise is important too it seems, and whatever is in these whey protein supplements either glutamine/taurine or whatever works with the namenda just don't go overboard. I started taking NAC supplements of late as well too and havent' seem any negative effect from that, anything else, ask, good luck.

suboxone is like naltrexone, it hits a plateau, this is different and your probably taking that for other stuff too, yeah it helps with visuals, afterimages, ect, brighter light sticks around some but I don't even worry about it, is that what your waiting to hear? your mind is calm, it's damn near boring for a minute if your so use to all this up and down shit, god, it's not perfect and probably won't work for everyone, nothing will, but better for that keppra? fuck yeah, naltrexone? fuck yeah, so on and so on, best side effect profile? fuck yeah, I threw this shit out here over christmas, go slow with it, exercise, damn

make sure you have klonopin too and don't run through it or something retarded, you'll figure it out, get healthy, health will breed health, and I would imagine one not hit so hard or that have had the condition so long would bounce back quicker, but nothing is a magic bullet, i could have swore I wrote this at christmas, and the visual aspect dissipates more in natural lights, that's always been the case for me, I don't really even think about it so much, I guess one thing if any if I want to generalize and I may be a little off target with this is that that ultra focus you get on things in that acid state diminishes......good luck, take it slow, and balance with klonopin......

• 1 month later...

I need to absolutely state this, stay away from the whey protein type supplements, I had an accident and had all kinds of problems coming off of this stuff, probably similar to getting off steroids, it's fucking hell and I wouldn't wish it on anybody

• 4 months later...

Absolutely need to state this, I took namenda for roughly ten months? or so until I started tapering off. I don't think this is any long term solution for HPPD. Though I had an incredibly stressful year, year and a half and they may have attributed to coming off of it, I still don't believe it be a long term solution . It for sure helped for a period of time in an overall sense but it seems to be kind of like a stimulant sort of effect, that's why I always had to take it with klonopin and I get the feeling that you could hurt yourself if you took it for an extended amount of time by itself. After awhile, I only started taking it maybe once every two or three days and a small dose, it has a really long half-life. And though I can't deny it's beneficial effects in the beginning it just seemed to burn itself out after awhile and you just get what you get. I honestly couldn't tell you if the benefits were long term because I've had a rollercoaster of a summer after a pretty brutal car accident I was in several months ago and got pretty beat up, lucky as hell to be alive. I started taking neurontin about a month ago for nerve pain and in some sort of twist have gotten quite a bit a relief from HPPD from it, maybe more of the mental aspects and after an increase in visuals when I started taking it, that aspect seems to taper off and actually has made it slightly better too, I totally wasn't even looking for it or expecting it. I plan on staying on it for at least several months and see where I'm at then. It made me pass out the first time I took it and made me feel wasted when I started neurontin but that goes away unless you increase to dose. I took neurontin a long time ago, years and years ago and don't remember getting anything from it but I was for sure in a completely different mind state and place with HPPD. I also plan on giving sibelium a try in the near future too so if I get some sort of symptom relief from that as well I will let people know. I really hope I didn't send anybody down a bad alley, I don't want that on me, it worked for awhile but I don't think it's a long term solution, it just feels like there's too much risk of some sort. Wish everyone the best and try not to think about this so much, it's too easy to stop it all and obsess if you start.

• 2 weeks later...