Sleep meds - questions

415_stylee

I just got hold of some Zopiclone (Imovane). So I wanted to ask if it works good and don´t tangle with HPPD, and if one can fall asleep after taking it without beeing sleepy before.

I´ve been having insomnia and a VERY disturbed sleep cycle for the last 4 years, now I´m perscribed hydroxyzine (Atarax) and propriomazine (Propavan), but they don´t help much. Atarax is quite weak. I´ve stayed awake on Propavan many times (unwillingly), coupled with terrible side-effects.

I basically need good sleep at the right times. If you have any suggestions on good meds, or any other tips, please post.

Some may disagree with me on this and although I dont use anymore myself, certain strains of marijauna are very effective for inducing sleep. Too much disrupts sleep cycles but a few doses or "hits" before bed usually does the trick. I know most people's lifestyle, epecially if they're afflicted with HPPD, cannot allow this.

One example of how this can work without swallowing somewhat dangerous pills for sleep everynight is that my friend was diagnosed with insomnia in 7th grade and had been taking anti-psychaotics just to induce SLEEP. After he started smoking at night before bed (he doesn't do it at any other time during the day) he has been able to stop taking the AP's and has never had a problem with insomnia since.

Thanks for the reply.

Some strains are really good for inducing sleep, the "Black Afghan" strain is probably the best. But I don´t think I´ll ever use any cannabis again, since I also have psychological problems related to an PTSD episode. There´s a too much risk too use it.

On the previous forum, I read that some used Melatonin against sleep problems. I know it is the sleep hormone, does it work good? And most importantly, does it have any annoying side effects?

Thanks for the reply.

Some strains are really good for inducing sleep, the "Black Afghan" strain is probably the best. But I don´t think I´ll ever use any cannabis again, since I also have psychological problems related to an PTSD episode. There´s a too much risk too use it.

On the previous forum, I read that some used Melatonin against sleep problems. I know it is the sleep hormone, does it work good? And most importantly, does it have any annoying side effects?

I've used melatonin before and honestly i dont like it. I got ridiculous hangovers from it and it made me feel like a zombie for half of the next day. Also if you get into the habit of using it a lot, it has the potential to reduce your own body's melatonin production.

Everyone is different though and melatonin is definitely effective at inducing sleep. Give it a try.

I've been taking Ambien for some years. I only take half a tablet and it has an amnesia effect; you don't remember the time just before you fell asleep. This is great for me because when I turn off the lights and close my eyes I see all this dark and light crap and I get really panicked. But with the Ambien, I don't remember the panic when I wake up.

Some may disagree with me on this and although I dont use anymore myself, certain strains of marijauna are very effective for inducing sleep. Too much disrupts sleep cycles but a few doses or "hits" before bed usually does the trick. I know most people's lifestyle, epecially if they're afflicted with HPPD, cannot allow this.

One example of how this can work without swallowing somewhat dangerous pills for sleep everynight is that my friend was diagnosed with insomnia in 7th grade and had been taking anti-psychaotics just to induce SLEEP. After he started smoking at night before bed (he doesn't do it at any other time during the day) he has been able to stop taking the AP's and has never had a problem with insomnia since.

I personally can't use cannabis because of my anxiety, I think if I were able to smoke enough and I could relax and the negatives would dissapear but after my last expirience I don't even want to try.

I have been reading about "Cannabidiol" one of the active components of cannabis, and what I have been reading sounds interesting, I don't know if it could benefit HPPD but I do think anxiety could be treated with it effectively without the side effects you would get from the THC.

https://medicalcbd.wordpress.com/2009/08/23/cannabidiol-anti-anxiety-improves-cognition/

" “CBD and the Neural Correlates of Anxiety,” by Jose Alexandre Crippa and colleagues at King’s College, London, and the Universidade de Sao Paulo. They measured blood flow in various parts of the brain as subjects viewed upsetting images and found that those who had been given an oral dose of CBD had markedly reduced responses."

I don't know if this is something you could even purchase (legally/illegally) but this is something I'd be interested in trying as I can't say I am a big fan of the effects of cannabis (I've had some good times on it though, I will admit)

I would not use zopiclone/zolpidem (Imovane and Stilnoct in your country)

It did effect my HPPD to the worse the day after though i always got better. with time

But it is better then not sleeping at all of course.You may start to hallucinate on these pills. I ran around in my appartement with a couple of binoculars scooping my neighbours only in my underware when i took em..

Thanks for all your replies!

Imovane doesn´t sound all too good, since I think I´m prone to get those nasty side effects. Ambien is from what I´ve learned close in effects (and side effects). Hmm, seems quite risky to try those..

But Melatonin seems quite good, since it seems to be able to put one to sleep whenever (without nasty hallucinations I suppose). I only use sleep meds when I really need them, and now I need to adjust the sleep cycle (I usually fall asleep at 6am-12am, if at all) and for to counter the random insomnia . And I´m quite used to zombified states, the nasty propriomazine (my current sleep med) is a maestro in producing those.

Maybe I´ll try Melatonin, but I don´t know how to obtain it (without a hard-to-get recipe). Is it possible to buy online and have it shipped to Sweden (where I live)?

I believe it is otc. in Sweden. Not sure but i think thats how i got them, from a healthstore. Actually amazed it worked cuz everything else that works in Sweden is illegal :D

Just remember that it has to be dark around you when you take em.

Works great but i had some weird reaction in the morning so i stopped taking them and my sleep is ok anyway. but this is the safest imo

Yeah I tried that stuff when I wasn't sleeping do to intense closed eye blobs and static. It fucked me up. The biggest problems I had were grogginess and headaches the next day and more anxiety/shortness of breath. I stopped after 3 days of it. I don't personally recommend it, but good luck dude.

melatonin is good, just make sure you get a brand that is pure. the unpure/no name brands sometimes make you feel a little sick

I'll talk to my doctors to get a recipe for Melatonin, then I'll get a good brand from the national pharmacy.

So there's a lot of fake Melatonin out there?

I'll talk to my doctors to get a recipe for Melatonin, then I'll get a good brand from the national pharmacy.

So there's a lot of fake Melatonin out there?

I don't think there is fake melatonin, not something I think they would be able to get away with, I think it is the quality that makes the difference in how it works and makes you feel.

I used melatonin once, I did not sleep at all, although I did lay there for the whole night feeling as if I was getting some sort of sleep while being awake, it was weird, it's like the melatonin compenstated for the sleep I wasn't getting, but when I got up I still felt like I had no sleep, I have never tried it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is fake melatonin, not something I think they would be able to get away with, I think it is the quality that makes the difference in how it works and makes you feel.

I used melatonin once, I did not sleep at all, although I did lay there for the whole night feeling as if I was getting some sort of sleep while being awake, it was weird, it's like the melatonin compenstated for the sleep I wasn't getting, but when I got up I still felt like I had no sleep, I have never tried it again.

Weird.. I guess sleep meds all have side effects. Some are less bearable than others. Best to use those meds with the more bearable effects, I suppose.

I´m trying Promethazine (antihistamine) right now. Definately better than Propriomazine (which actually is a weak antipsychotic, marketed as a sleep medicine). Promethazine feels like a strong dose of Hydroxyzine, but it can´t put me to sleep whenever I want.

Having a job and exercising daily is a healthy way to fall asleep of course. Although I went yrs. when even doing that mixed w/ my Klonopin wouldn't even let me sleep at night (monster drinks at work didn't help lol)

Anyways, Ambien will cause a few ppl to do odd things in there sleep like somebody said, but for the most part as long as you take it at bedtime (no earlier) It help's me.

Your system get's used to it in less then a week, so only take as needed (I know that's every night :(

Melatonin really helps me, but some do get a groggy hangover for 4 hrs or so the next day, but that didn't last for more then a week w/ me.

SLEEP AID, (diphenhydramine HCI) they usually come in 25mg. tablets. Two of them help as well.

Besides benzo's and muscle relaxers that's the best I've found.

If your doc will prescibe muscle relaxers flexeril and soma def help!

Don't do this but I actually cycle all these meds so my body doesn't adjust to any of them and I can sleep at night. I'm going to live the best I can w/ hppd even if that means dying for it.

Remember Ambien is in the benzo family and Melatonin can't be good for you since your body produces such a small amount in the first place.

Later/ be careful not to overload w/ any meds, especially if you already take benzo's it amplifies (need spell check) everything later

• 5 weeks later...

I also was having problems falling asleep, having to be absoultely exhausted in order to get some rest, usually crashing at around 5 or 6 am and wakin up around 10. Whats really helped me is VALERIAN ROOT, not to mention my anxiety as well. I got some at walgreens that also comes infused with a calming blend of several other plants, and so far its really done the trick. Some people say valerian doesnt work, but you should definitely try it.