DPDR question

Yayoe10

This is a question for those whoseHPPD especially anyone with DPDR has improved a lot . When your DPDR started improving and you started to feel more connected , were you able to actually feel your anxious and depressive feelings like in every detail? I feel like when I had high or medium DPDR I had a wall between me and the anxiety/depression (although I still felt them all the time) but I felt when my anxiety/depression got high my DPDR would kick in higher but now that my DPDR has lowered I feel like I'm more vulnerable to my anxiety at times and depression I can tell they're at LOW levels but I can FEEL them more. It's kinda hard to explain but I feel like the better I get the more vulnerable I get lol 

Random example : having extreme all over your body vs having extreme pain in just your arm. Which would you be able to describe more in detail? Obviously the pain in just your arm because it's in a certain spot, you can describe it more how it feels, you can feel all the painful sensations rather than just pain all over your body. Might not be the best example but yea lol thoughts ?

Yes completely. I know my DP/DR was entirely anxiety induced, and throughout my recovery I have gone through cycles where I feel intense dp/dr for a week, followed by a week of high anxiety and panic attacks, which then seems to receed into a state of dp/dr. 

My conclusion is that the anxiety is ever-present, but, as you stated above, you feel more disconnected from it when you are experiencing full blown depersonalization symptoms. Makes sense, considering dp/dr is a self protection mechanism; essentially your brain protecting you from your own anxiety. 

Edited by Kilgore_Trout
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kilgore_Trout said:

Yes completely. I know my DP/DR was entirely anxiety induced, and throughout my recovery I have gone through cycles where I feel intense dp/dr for a week, followed by a week of high anxiety and panic attacks, which then seems to receed into a state of dp/dr. 

My conclusion is that the anxiety is ever-present, but, as you stated above, you feel more disconnected from it when you are experiencing full blown depersonalization symptoms. Makes sense, considering dp/dr is a self protection mechanism; essentially your brain protecting you from your own anxiety. 

Yes !!! You understood exactly !! Haha same way I was seeing it that the DPDR is really a protection mechanism which most likely proves my DPDR is anxiety driven. So makes sense the lower my DPDR the more I notice my low anxiety issues and all that

How long?  Hard to put my finger on that.  I was so busy during my 20s and 30s raising a family and working that it my mental state was always on the back burner.  I'd guess around the time I turned 40 I started to feel like my skin fit me.  Sounds like a long time but it goes by in the wink of an eye.  I drank during my 20s.  Not to the point of dysfunction but probably too much.  It wasn't until I gave that up that I could see real progress.

Not a clear answer I realize but sometimes memories can be a bit turbid.