Help me out. Feel like I'm losing my mind

Ever since coming on this website and realizing that HPPD is pretty much a life sentence of anxiety and depression I've become so discouraged about my future and life in general. The cortisol is going to absolutely destroy my intelligence and appearance. How can I manage this stress? 

Does meditation help you guys with this? Why do we have anxiety,depression and derealization? How can I muster up enough courage to embrace the possibility of a successful future. 

Why do we get anxious and depressed as a result of HPPD? The visuals themselves don't bother me at all, it's just the associated mental symptoms with it...

PLEASE HELP

Often times drug use can bring to the surface and exacerbate underlying mental illness. As far as I know CBT is the best evidence based therapy for anxiety and depression, along with living a healthy lifestyle.

I had non stop panic and anxiety for over a year straight. Lately my OCD has been questioning my cognitive abilities but I just read 20 pages from Kierkegaard's collected works in one sitting (thick philosophical jargon and 19th century verbiage). So I wouldnt worry about your intelligence. 

If you're really that worried about cortisol try the adaptogen herb ashwagandha. Supposedly it helps in balancing it.

Trust me, it's not a life sentance. Or so I'm told. Many many many people have recovered. It's mind over matter, if you take the steps to get better you will. But if you go into a dispair of endless, "will I ever get better" it'll hinder your healing process. Obssessing over this and continually reading shit here will make you more obssessive and make things worse. Live your life, I've got mild symptoms so I'm not gonna pretend to know the world of emotional and psychological pain you dealt with. But you'll make it. Trust. Also, one outlook I've heard is that your dp/Dr is just anxiety. Conquer anxiety and make it your bitch, then your dp/Dr will fade. Hmu if you want to talk, I'm always an open ear.

I don't know where you came up with this idea it's a "life sentence." There are recovery stories up and down this forum. It's a well known fact people recovery from HPPD all the time. Get a therapist, exercise, eat healthy and give yourself some time. You'll be OK eventually. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone who has read my posts soon realize that I continually repeat myself.  I'm going to do it again.  Here goes.

Meditation worked wonders for me.  It literally allowed me to deal with anxiety and finally silence the negative mental chatter.  That being said, it takes practice every day not unlike learning to play an instrument.  Through the practice I've found peace and life leveled out.  You don't need a guru, crystals, or anything.  Each of us is born with this ability.  It takes time and commitment but it works.

Finding the courage to face the future is something everyone struggles with.  Those of us with hppd have the added burden making our way because we have a disabling condition.  However, people with challenges time and time again have successful and happy lives.  

We're all stonger than we give ourselves credit for.  I think finding ones skills, getting focused, and moving forward is how we overcome the anxiety posed by an uncertain future.  Step by step one day at a time.

I hope some of that made sense.  

One more thing, I'll probably have elements of this condition for life but I was a psychonaut to the Nth degree for quite a while.  That being said a lot of my symptoms cleared up.  There are many people who recover.  Don't get caught up in thinking this is a life sentence.  For many it's not and for many it becomes quite manageable.

Edited by MadDoc
More babblin'

2 hours ago, Originally said:

Trust me, it's not a life sentance. Or so I'm told. Many many many people have recovered. It's mind over matter, if you take the steps to get better you will. But if you go into a dispair of endless, "will I ever get better" it'll hinder your healing process. Obssessing over this and continually reading shit here will make you more obssessive and make things worse. Live your life, I've got mild symptoms so I'm not gonna pretend to know the world of emotional and psychological pain you dealt with. But you'll make it. Trust. Also, one outlook I've heard is that your dp/Dr is just anxiety. Conquer anxiety and make it your bitch, then your dp/Dr will fade. Hmu if you want to talk, I'm always an open ear.

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. So people are talking about the associated mental symptoms of depression and anxiety. Is this a result of how we react to our visual disturbances or is it a direct result of HPPD itself causing depression and anxiety that is uncontrollable as long as you have it?

The visuals don't bother me at all. I just keep getting reminded of the associated mental symptoms of anxiety and depression and stuff everytime I look at a dark wall and notice visual snow and warping.

The one thing I want is just peace and happiness. Is this possible with HPPD still?

2 hours ago, MadDoc said:

Anyone who has read my posts soon realize that I continually repeat myself.  I'm going to do it again.  Here goes.

Meditation worked wonders for me.  It literally allowed me to deal with anxiety and finally silence the negative mental chatter.  That being said, it takes practice every day not unlike learning to play an instrument.  Through the practice I've found peace and life leveled out.  You don't need a guru, crystals, or anything.  Each of us is born with this ability.  It takes time and commitment but it works.

Finding the courage to face the future is something everyone struggles with.  Those of us with hppd have the added burden making our way because we have a disabling condition.  However, people with challenges time and time again have successful and happy lives.  

We're all stonger than we give ourselves credit for.  I think finding ones skills, getting focused, and moving forward is how we overcome the anxiety posed by an uncertain future.  Step by step one day at a time.

I hope some of that made sense.  

One more thing, I'll probably have elements of this condition for life but I was a psychonaut to the Nth degree for quite a while.  That being said a lot of my symptoms cleared up.  There are many people who recover.  Don't get caught up in thinking this is a life sentence.  For many it's not and for many it becomes quite manageable.

Thanks for your input again MadDoc. Are most HPPDers depressed and anxious due to some brain chemistry alteration that causes the HPPD in the first place? Or is it how we react to our condition and the visuals. If it's the latter, I'd feel a lot more reassured and in control of my anxiety/depression 

My advice is to forget the HPPD title and recognize that you are depressed and anxious.  A huge swath of the population has similar stuff.  If it's any consolation I had this for about 25 years before I found the name for it online.  Pre internet, I had no idea if I was schizophrenic or brain damaged or whatever.  I was amazed to find there were others with the same symptoms.  The best cure for depression and anxiety is activity.  Get on with your life, exercise and the panic etc WILL subside.  Accept your present self and work on that.

On 7/2/2017 at 2:59 AM, Georgecarter24 said:

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words. So people are talking about the associated mental symptoms of depression and anxiety. Is this a result of how we react to our visual disturbances or is it a direct result of HPPD itself causing depression and anxiety that is uncontrollable as long as you have it?

The visuals don't bother me at all. I just keep getting reminded of the associated mental symptoms of anxiety and depression and stuff everytime I look at a dark wall and notice visual snow and warping.

The one thing I want is just peace and happiness. Is this possible with HPPD still?

Idk, I feel like having hppd makes you uncertain of your future. Thus anxiety manifests. And not being able to enjoy things like the way people used to makes them depressed. For me I'm on vacation and having imprints all the time while I'm outside is annoying. But manageable, at night my symptoms are worse. I smoked like a week and a half ago and the first few days I was terribly anxious. But now I don't feel anxious at all, mainly cause my symptoms are light work. Hppd on its own I feel as if let's loose anxiety and depression. 

Look hppd is No life sentence. Its what you make it some make it life sentence and some make it a gift. And hppd offten goes away if you stay sober. I Can take a long time with No caffein or alcohol. Ive had it for 4 months now and i Can see it fading a little every month. Mabye i dont notice it but what is the difference. And dont go Hard on your self for getting it. If you knew this would happen would you Then take the drugs. Probably NOT Right? So its NOT your fault. and its sounds Like a life sentence becouse peopel on this page still have it the ones that recover Never look back