Hppd = schizophrenia or dementia in the future?

holly

I highly doubt it, as schizophrenia and dementia are genetic predispositions. HPPD is drug induced. However, there have been multiple cases of drug abusers (specifically celebrities) who have developed schizophrenia through the repeated use of substances like LSD. 

All of the above. 

Worse?  I don't know about worse.  

But if you have this mysterious 'HPPD', it is fairly close to schizophrenia, in my own opinion.   I can't speak for others' opinions.   I don't mean to stir up fear.  But I'm gonna call a spade a spade. 

I don;t think we will ever know... So probably better to not even think about it!

There are people here who have had hppd since the 60s and have shown no signs of this, so it's unlikely.

I don't think, in my case, it's anything like schizophrenia.  I see visuals but my head is clear and my reasoning is sound.  I also know nothing I see is real.  That being said, at one point I wondered if I had developed a form of schizophrenia because why else would I have persistent visuals?  It just didn't add up though because I didn't have any of the debilitating symptoms that accompany schizophrenia .  Then I heard about hppd and the light bulb shined.

Edited by MadDoc
Foolish typing

There are specific deficits in brain matter and function with Alzheimer's patients (shrinking of the hippocampus, diminishing acetylcholine), and schizophrenia is still being researched but they've pretty much targeted it down to dopaminergic and glutamergic dysfunction. Onset of schizophrenia can occur from the early teens to the late 20s but usually appears in the mid 20s. Most HPPDers would already be exhibiting positive (psychosis) and negative symptoms if that were the case. From the scans done I havent seen anything that would suggest shrinkage of the hippocampus but correlation does not equal causation, so you really wouldnt know until you got older. However, PTSD sufferers have shown shrinkage in areas such as the hippocampus, doesnt necessarily mean they'll get dementia.

No, I don't think so. If so it's not because of HPPD, but rather genes and lifestyle. If you have HPPD there's a good chance you also have mental illness yourself or have family members who suffer from an illness of some kind or another. This, and not contracting HPPD, is what will likely raise your risk of dementia. I really can't emphasize how much this sort of thing can be prevented though. If you eat healthy, exercise and limit stress your chances of getting some form of dementia are extremely low even if you're exposed to it genetically. 

I would argue that diet plays a key role in the development of Alzheimers disease. Nigerian blacks have the lowest rate of AD but have the highest number of people with the apoE4 gene and thats very likely due to their low intake of dietary cholesterol. Therefore, I would think that having HPPD does not correlate with increased AD.

• 4 years later...