Did anyone else get this suddenly after long term drug use

As the thread title suggests, did anyone else get this randomly after using drugs for a long time?

For me I started using cannabis at around 13/14 then was using mdma from about 15 and then used other compounds occasionally (2cb, lsd, mushrooms etc....). This carried on until i got hppd when I was 24. Which means I was using drugs (excluding cannabis) for around 8 years before the onset. 

What confuses me is that ive read that it can occur on the first trip or can slowly occur over multiple trips. Yet I never noticed any visual problems at any point during my use. Ive seen posts on this forum of people saying i noticing static etc etc but I never had any of that. I always had breaks between taking drugs as well so its not like I just thought I was on a comedown or whatever.

At the time of onset I had been recovering from a long term relationship (8 years) which had ended badly and left me in an extremely bad state, which is what I think contributed to whatever happened to me the night HPPD kicked in. I was on mdma and ketamine and was also using nitrous oxide too. I had my 3rd line of ketamine and a few minutes later I had what I think was a panic attack. I felt my brain burn in my head and i thought i was going to die. 

Also, I was fine for a couple of weeks, minus a ligering headache and a bit of dizziness before it all began.

Im just interested if anyone else experienced something similar? 

I felt nearly cured by 2015. Then I had a series of panic attacks that lead to extreme hypochondria and hypervigilance and I'm still trying to recover from the strange thought patterns and hallucinogenic perceptions I see in my head.

Anxiety and panic always make it worse. 

I had somewhat of a similar story. I'd been doing drugs since about age 14 and then shortly thereafter a period of extreme stress I took a hit of acid which gave me HPPD. I'm utterly convinced it was a combination of stress, sleeplessness and bad drugs that gave me HPPD. Had I not taken the acid I wouldn't have had HPPD obviously, but I'm still fairly sure that if I didn't have the stress and sleeplessness I wouldn't have HPPD either due to how many drugs I had taken prior to this all happening. It sounds like HPPD can be the result of doing too many drugs over a long period of time wherein the brain simply burns out, but there's also a fair number of people who haven't done that many drugs and end up with HPPD right off the bat due to some sort of coinciding emotional problems or an anxiety attack. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the response man, I guess I find some comfort in knowing other people have had similar experiences. One of the things Ive had trouble coming to terms with over the past year and a half is whether I actually damaged my brain when I was high. I understand HPPD kinda is brain damage but I mean the feeling of my brain melting and frying in my head, which was probably just the effects of having a panic attack whilst high, left me rattled for months and I was sure my brain was damaged. 

Mine started after my first trip.  I didn't think anything of it really.  It wasn't until about 5 years of continual dosing that I though i might have a problem.  Every time I would smoke cannabis I would have vivid hallucinations.  Oh well, water under the bridge.  No regrets, it simply "is".

Edited by MadDoc

I saw a quote recently about regret that basically said we all make the best decisions with the information we're given almost all the time, so in this sense regret is sorta meaningless. I totally agree. If any of us knew this was a possibility we wouldn't have taken the drugs that got us here. No sense in looking at the past with regret knowing what we do now. 

HPPD is an injury of some sort, no doubt about it. The question is what causes it and why. Given the relation to tinnitus as well as a general sensitivity to sound and light waves I'm starting to wonder whether there's some connection to the nervous system in particular. My only wish is that I just knew what happened...

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2017 at 1:17 AM, K.B.Fante said:

I saw a quote recently about regret that basically said we all make the best decisions with the information we're given almost all the time, so in this sense regret is sorta meaningless. I totally agree. If any of us knew this was a possibility we wouldn't have taken the drugs that got us here. No sense in looking at the past with regret knowing what we do now. 

HPPD is an injury of some sort, no doubt about it. The question is what causes it and why. Given the relation to tinnitus as well as a general sensitivity to sound and light waves I'm starting to wonder whether there's some connection to the nervous system in particular. My only wish is that I just knew what happened...

I believe there is (a connection to the nervous system).