Second hand marijuana

Hi folks - my heart goes out to all of you. I have had this for nearly two years now, and I have improved loads (my vision, not so much...aspects are better for sure, but it's still there). My mental health is generally good. I maintain a successful career and happy marriage. Life is good except for hppd :) I live a psychoactive drug free life - actually I don't take any drugs as I'm too nervous. I recently birthed my baby with no drugs and didn't even take a Tylenol after.   I have experienced major flare-ups (hppd became much worse with added symptoms that have never dissipated) due to second-hand marijuana twice....not even marijuana that was particularly close to me (ie, I wasn't even standing next to someone smoking). The first time I was at a party and the smell of campfire disguised the weed smell. The second time I accidentally walked past a marijuana cafe where people were smoking on the patio (I didn't know this was a thing! I thought they had to smoke inside). In any case, I've learned that I can't attend events where there will be marijuana outside, and I am vigilant while I walk down the street. I hate living this way, but it is what it is. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this? Or can you attend parties and just be a normal person? :) 

Are you able to take drugs such as tylernol, Advil, etc? Coffee? Coke and pepsi?? I haven't dared to try them.

this is by far the worst part of it for me. I can deal with visuals and perceptual oddities (except the disequilibrium is a challenge!), but having to restrict my activities is a real bummer.

best wishes to you all!

I can take "over the counter" pain relievers with no problems.  I have visual "anomalies" pretty much constantly and those medications don't make it worse.  However, cold medications that contain  pseudoephedrine makes it much much worse.  I literally feel like I've taken speed and my visuals are really distracting.  As for second hand MJ smoke, that has no noticeable effect on me.  I go to lots a concerts still and MJ and vape pens are everywhere but fortunately it doesn't bother me.  That being said I never smoke myself.

Congratulations on your recent child birth.  You're a brave soul for doing it naturally.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently experiencing a set-back/flare up due to what I think was due to second hand pot smoke. Could have also been due to stress or a combination of the two.

I was doing pretty well before but I feel kinda messed up now, almost back to square 1 again. My DP/DR is terrible again, which I had learnt to manage, and now I have some balance issues and sometimes I can see some movement in my visual field again, which I hadn't experienced in over a year.

You say your visual increases havn't recovered since...but has anything else? I can deal with the visuals...I just hate the DP/DR.

• Upvote 1

Over the years all of my symptoms have moderated.  Anxiety hasn't been an issue for a long time.  The "closed eye" visuals inside my skull are, for the most part, completely gone.  Depression is also something that's in my past.  The visuals however are always there and probably always will be.  The brain is elastic and changed to handle how I perceive reality.  I still feel like an alien who has been dropped into a strange world but I really don't mind.  Life is good.  Good luck with everything and hang in there.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for these replies folks!

Im so happy for those of you whom second hand pot doesn't affect....MadDoc that's fabulous! that's awesome! Thank you for the info regarding cold medications. And the long term perspective :)

to Martainnn...I imagine it's the weed that caused your relapse. Stress wouldn't cause a relapse in visuals, but may affect DP and mental health in general. The balance issues are tipping me off to weed too. I imagine they will clear up with time. Certainly, it will get better with time even if it doesn't completely dissipate. 

DP and DR also very likely will improve...most people seem to find that the mental health stuff improves or disappears completely and visuals are what tend to remain semi-permanently or permanently.

when I had those second-hand pot relapses, what helped me was a lot of exercise, tlc, and don't forget you can try clonazepam or levitetacetam to help. Yes you will become dependent but that's okay - keep the dose small (1 mg a day or less of clonazepam) and weaning off one day won't be too bad. I had to wean off before getting pregnant and it wasn't fun but it was completely manageable. 

best wishes.