Dopamine Agonists

A while back I read that apparently dopamine might help restore sensory gating in tinnitus and chronic pain:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-09/gumc-nub091615.php

similar to Dr Abraham's theory about vs/hppd.

I would like to know how many ppl here have tried dopamine meds with success ?

- If so what did it exactly do for u ? Did it reduce ur vs , after images and trailings ect ?

- what were the side effects and how long did they last ?

- Did the positive effects last after withdrawal?

Personally I believe that they should come up with a new dopamine agonist for visual snow/hppd , tinnitus and chronic pain . But I would like to know what members here think of the current dopamine agonists.

Edited by SaraSara

Hate to keep repeating it but this is yet another instance where HPPD and Visual Snow symptoms are tied to some sort of injury. This is without question a reoccurring theme in many of these studies. 

I've always felt better on substances that promote dopamine and it seems pretty popular in this community. If I remember correctly I think Dr. Abraham even suggested dopamine receptors could somehow get destroyed after ingestion of hallucinogens. I've taken a few supplements that supposedly boost dopamine, never any pharmaceuticals, and of course altered my diet to allow for more vitamin C which is an antioxidant especially beneficial to those with neurological disorders and one that helps promote the production of dopamine. Sometimes when I eat an orange I even get a little bit of a natural food high! 

Edited by K.B.Fante

It's all so confusing. lets just say our dopamine receptors are damaged, how can we fix this ? Do we need something like stem cell therapy? They're currently trying stem cell therapy in Parkinsons :

https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2017/04/26/first-dose-group-parkinsons-stem-cell-trial-successfully-transplanted/

Or do we need gene therapy ? So that the dopamine neurons get new instructions to create new receptors?

Tinnitus and chronic pain researchers seem to believe that the brain has the plasticity to basically reverse these symptoms . 

Anyway can u pls tell me which dopamine boosting supplements u took ? 

I've tried to find old posts about the effect of dopamine antagonists on the forum but none of them said anything about eliminating vs or palinopsia. That's why I decided to post again to get some clear answers .

6 hours ago, K.B.Fante said:

Hate to keep repeating it but this is yet another instance where HPPD and Visual Snow symptoms are tied to some sort of injury. This is without question a reoccurring theme in many of these studies. 

I've always felt better on substances that promote dopamine and it seems pretty popular in this community. If I remember correctly I think Dr. Abraham even suggested dopamine receptors could somehow get destroyed after ingestion of hallucinogens. I've taken a few supplements that supposedly boost dopamine, never any pharmaceuticals, and of course altered my diet to allow for more vitamin C which is an antioxidant especially beneficial to those with neurological disorders and one that helps promote the production of dopamine. Sometimes when I eat an orange I even get a little bit of a natural food high! 

I don't know about destroyed. Downregulated maybe but I don't think you're going to see actual receptor destruction unless you're doing heavy amounts of MDMA and that's serotonergic receptors. Even hardcore coke and meth addicts "recover" after 4 or 5 years sober.

11 hours ago, SaraSara said:

It's all so confusing. lets just say our dopamine receptors are damaged, how can we fix this ? Do we need something like stem cell therapy? They're currently trying stem cell therapy in Parkinsons :

https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2017/04/26/first-dose-group-parkinsons-stem-cell-trial-successfully-transplanted/

Or do we need gene therapy ? So that the dopamine neurons get new instructions to create new receptors?

Tinnitus and chronic pain researchers seem to believe that the brain has the plasticity to basically reverse these symptoms . 

Anyway can u pls tell me which dopamine boosting supplements u took ? 

I've tried to find old posts about the effect of dopamine antagonists on the forum but none of them said anything about eliminating vs or palinopsia. That's why I decided to post again to get some clear answers .

I've tried tyrosine, rhodiola and theanine, which I've read can increase dopamine, but this was a while back when I was throwing all sorts of different drugs at my body so I didn't get a good idea of whether they worked or not. Also, I think SAM-e might increase dopamine. That was the one med I actually felt pretty good on. I've just been so sensitive to drugs I haven't stuck with any aside from supplements. I'm much happier with going slow and recovering using nutrition.