Negative After Images and Floaters

I have constant negative after images; for example I look at my keys and look away and see a yellow-ish flashing after image . The after images are always either white or yellow looking and only last a second.

I just read that negative after images are caused by retinal neurons and not the visual cortex neurons. 

My question is whether this theory is correct or whether these negative after images can be caused by brain hyperactivity ect and finally: Do u guys know of any cases where these negative after images were severe but eventually totally disappeared ? 

I'm starting to get worried that many of our visual symptoms might also be related to retinal neuronal dysfunction and not just the visual cortex . Please correct me if I'm wrong .

And what about floaters ? Can floaters also be linked to this brain hypermetabolism that was found in the visual snow PET scans ? Is it possible that due to a dysfunction in the brain we are starting to notice them more ? I have to add that I had literally zero amount of floaters prior to this nightmare. 

Edited by SaraSara

I doubt my visuals are caused by retinal neurons.  I see shapes, designs, patterns, etc.  They can become quite complex if I stare at something long enough.  Seems to me that if I'm seeing Aztec glyphs in the carpet something is happening deeper in the brain.  However, it makes sense that after images (which I don't get) might be more immediate.  If I understand it correctly, you're seeing a visual representation of something you just looked at.  Thank you for looking into this.  Interesting!

I see designs and cartoon candy ? looking things when I close my eyes before sleep . They go around and around and get bigger and smaller and eventually disappear.They're literally stuck to each other and move with the same rythm . I'm not quiet sure if it fits in the category cev or whether it's something different. 

I know that trailings ( which I also have from time to time ) are definitely illusionary palinopsia and therefore brain related but I'm not quite sure about my negative after images . Can negative after images be a part of palinopsia and therefore originating in the brain ?

Edited by SaraSara

I have negative afterimages too, but mostly I only see them when I look at bright objects (the sun is the worst) or high-contrast settings (like a black tire against a white wall for example). Thing is, these have gotten better at the same rate as all my other symptoms, so clearly they're all tied together, which would make me think they're more brain related rather than retinal. I know light sensitivity is a common symptom of quite a few neurological disorders. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

When I was studying to become a dispensing optician. We learn about after images and secondary colors. If for example you take a red highlighter pen and draw a cross.stares at that cross for w while and you will start to see around the edges another color forming.and if you look at a white wall and blink your eyes you will see that color.

And floaters I find for me are caused by taking antidepressants.it has always been that way for me even before I got permanent derealisation. And before I got dr permanent i used to get episodes of them.and always had a floater in my one eye since is was young.interesting