Anxiety

I've realized that this is my main issue. Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing anxiety to a manageable level? I'm going to quit smoking this month after my abilify wds are over and start working out vigorously. Is there anything else I can do?

For me meditation has been extremely helpful.  The practice allows me to intercept intrusive thoughts.  When some negative thought arrives I can recognize it as being part of me, even welcome it, but i can choose not to unpack the contents of the thought.  Over time the negative thoughts don't get exercised and the mental pathways on which they arrive start to atrophy.  Just like learning to play a musical instrument, you need to practice.  

• Upvote 1

That's what I'm trying today. I realized that the images are just another version of intrusive thoughts and I'm trying to cut them off at the root without actively resisting them.

My anxiety is down 99% getting off of abilify. Id say I'm at a 2/10 right now, a level I haven't experienced in a year and a half. 

Just to be clear, I'm not a doctor.  When I was a kid I was called the "Mad Doctor" because I was pretty good at chemistry especially refining plant extractions.  Like the way Bugs Bunny calls everyone "doc".   I'm a lot more like Elmer Fudd.

Edited by MadDoc
Foolish typing/clarification

MadDoc is correct about the pathways. I had terrible anxiety off and on for most of my adult life, but ever since I made a concentrated and holistic effort to address it I've basically seen those pathways fall by the wayside. 

Like HPPD there's no cure for anxiety, but there are many different treatments that work and if you combine them all you can really begin to make a difference. 

For me, I'd say the most important has been diet. I eat a loosely-based paleo diet, no gluten (increases anxiety), potatoes (increases anxiety), excess sugar (increases anxiety) and junk food (increases anxiety). This has worked wonders for me and on days when I don't eat well I can tell. Eating changes your gut and hence your neurotransmitters so there's really no better way to alter your brain chemistry than through eating. 

Yoga is also great. It trains your brain and body to handle stress, therefore when stressful situations occur you're more ready to tackle them without worry. 

Meditation is also 1A behind food. It's worked wonders for me over the last few years. I really think it's transformed my brain after practicing nearly ever day before bed. I think half the battle of anxiety is not understanding what's happening inside your mind, not being able to take a step back and really examine your thought process. Meditation totally changes this and has entirely rewired my brain for as far as I can tell. I literally don't even think the same way I used to after meditating for two years. I'm much more at peace with myself and my thoughts and am finally an expert at watching things from afar, which I never could do before. 

As far as supplements go, I think a B-complex vitamin, magnesium, passion flower, fish oil, and lavender tea have really helped me out. I also hear taurine is good for anxiety as it promotes GABA. The combination of all these has really helped me transform my brain. I haven't had anxiety in about a year now and I think it's largely due to a combination of all this stuff. 

• Upvote 1

So I'm 20 now and started smoking heavy amount of weed throuout HS. All my friends decided the wanted to be the next poblo escabor so they started selling big amounts of weed... so we would smoke about 7g in one sitting for about 4-5 years straight. Everyday... when I got into junior year LSD came around and I tried it about three times.(All separated apart like about 5 months each time.) They told me what I tripped was something like 25i and c. And they told me it was RC(reasearch chemicals). After I stopped smoking weed about 5 weeks ago I noticed that I had visual snow on flat surfaces and especially the dark. I thought it was normal until I got curious one day and did some research to find out it was not normal:( now I'm really paranoid and have crazy ass anxiety that I might be suffering from hppd. I don't get any visuals unless I stare at something hard for like 10 sec and when I'm not thinking about it I don't notice any of it including the visual snow. It's been a year sense my last RC/LSD trip. Am I just paranoid? God bless you all that have This syndrome to. I might be the next one to join y'all on this life TRIP. 

You're obsessing about the visuals which don't appear unless you think about them. You're probably creating it just by thinking about it.

As someone with health anxiety ocd I've had everything from cancer to strokes just by thinking about them. In 2010 I had chronic pain all year long convinced I had some sort of cancer. After going to numerous doctors who told me nothing was wrong with me I finally accepted that it was just anxiety and the pain went away the next day. Literally over night.

• 4 weeks later...

I find that when I'm anxious my brain is more active but not in a focused way.  All that misdirected and unfocused energy make my hallucinations worse.  This also happens if I drink too much coffee.  When I'm calm and focused on something I don't really notice the visuals.  That being said, I don't have too much anxiety in my life anymore.  Just riding the wave.