Should I get an MRI?

Seems like nothing shows up, so I'm not sure I should even get one. I've searched the site for "MRI" and pretty much all anybody's said is that they don't show anything for HPPD. Just curious if it's even worth it and if anybody has had first-hand experience with this. 

20 minutes ago, K.B.Fante said:

Seems like nothing shows up, so I'm not sure I should even get one. I've searched the site for "MRI" and pretty much all anybody's said is that they don't show anything for HPPD. Just curious if it's even worth it and if anybody has had first-hand experience with this. 

I got an MRI maybe about 6 months ago. Nothing showed up. 

11 hours ago, K.B.Fante said:

That's what it sounds like. Do you know why?

Because any structural changes in HPPD (if they even exist) are too small to see with the resolving power of an MRI, which cannot image or even make any indirect suggestions at the level of individual neurons, other cells or microstructures, which you would think might be more pertinent. An MRI can show atrophy/lesions if they are substantive enough to appear on a scan, but keep in mind practitioners assessing the images from the scan are known to occasionally miss something pertinent e.g. small tumours - this gives you an idea of the limitations of an MRI scan. If HPPD has caused physical damage or changes in the brain then those are too small to see with an MRI.

• Upvote 2

I had an MRI done and recall that nothing showed up other than "possible microlesions". I probably should go back and look at it myself, maybe those microlesions were potential for neuronal loss.

Ghormeh Sabzi gave a very good response. 

Edited by dasitmane

My mRI in Feb 2016 talked about abnormalities in certain regions that could cause migraines and demylenization but they said it wasn't anything to worry about.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, fruitgun said:

Will have an MRI tomorrow. Also an EEG and a VEP screening in a couple of weeks. I am curious if any of these procedures will show something.

Nice! Please keep us updated. I didn't get one because people said nothing would show up. Maybe EEG will be different though. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/26/2018 at 10:55 AM, dasitmane said:

Did anyone end up uploading their mris? Can you guys that posted and had an mri please upload them?

I'll login to my account and try to pull it up later. 

It was pretty benign. Some abnormalities that might cause migraines or demylenation issues.

I've had like 2 migraines since I quit smoking 5 months ago compared to once a week or more.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:37 PM, TheMythos said:

I'll login to my account and try to pull it up later. 

It was pretty benign. Some abnormalities that might cause migraines or demylenation issues.

I've had like 2 migraines since I quit smoking 5 months ago compared to once a week or more.

Yah mine had "migraine" related abnormalities as well.

Do post up your results if you get a chance.

Edited by dasitmane

On 6.4.2017 at 6:19 AM, dasitmane said:

I had an MRI done and recall that nothing showed up other than "possible microlesions". I probably should go back and look at it myself, maybe those microlesions were potential for neuronal loss.

Ghormeh Sabzi gave a very good response. 

Could it be brain lesions that cause us this vision https://www.medicinenet.com/brain_lesions_lesions_on_the_brain/article.htm#

https://www.webmd.com/brain/brain-lesions-causes-symptoms-treatments

Edited by danjoking

14 hours ago, danjoking said:

Its a possibility, brain lesions on MRIs are simply... neuronal or axon damage/loss, which if its the case here is most likely to do with excitotoxicity. There supposedly is never anything that shows up on HPPD MRIs, but honestly a few members here have reported microlesions. 

Edited by dasitmane

59 minutes ago, dasitmane said:

Its a possibility, brain lesions on MRIs are simply... neuronal or axon damage/loss, which if its the case here is most likely to do with excitotoxicity. There supposedly is never anything that shows up on HPPD MRIs, but honestly a few members here have reported microlesions. 

So it’s permanent there is nothing  to do ?

54 minutes ago, danjoking said:

Demylination shows up as white matter lesions, that would be classified as reversible. Neuronal loss is considered non reversible, but there is potential by finding something that stimulates neurogenesis. Long distance axonal loss is considered non reversible, and most likely non recoverable even with possible neurogenesis techniques if they were found.

1 hour ago, danjoking said:

Yeah. It's permanent. You'll never EVER get better so start making plans to end it bro. No one has ever recovered in the history of hppd. The thousands of people who have moved on and no longer read these forums are just out there suffering endlessly.

4 minutes ago, TheMythos said:

Yeah. It's permanent. You'll never EVER get better so start making plans to end it bro. No one has ever recovered in the history of hppd. The thousands of people who have moved on and no longer read these forums are just out there suffering endlessly.

The only people suffering on this forum are the ones forced to look at your avi ?

3 minutes ago, dasitmane said:

The only people suffering on this forum are the ones forced to look at your avi ?

Lol. What is this, middle school?

You look like a chode and a dudebro. Am I supposed to be impressed?

12 minutes ago, TheMythos said:

Lol. What is this, middle school?

You look like a chode and a dudebro. Am I supposed to be impressed?

Was that supposed to be clever? Im not impressed. You're trying though. Soon youll be able to read. ?

I am a dude, bro.

Edited by dasitmane