Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
K.B.Fante

Should I get an MRI?

9 posts in this topic

Seems like nothing shows up, so I'm not sure I should even get one. I've searched the site for "MRI" and pretty much all anybody's said is that they don't show anything for HPPD. Just curious if it's even worth it and if anybody has had first-hand experience with this. 

20 minutes ago, K.B.Fante said:

Seems like nothing shows up, so I'm not sure I should even get one. I've searched the site for "MRI" and pretty much all anybody's said is that they don't show anything for HPPD. Just curious if it's even worth it and if anybody has had first-hand experience with this. 

I got an MRI maybe about 6 months ago. Nothing showed up. 

If your symptoms are caused by HPPD then there will be no pertinent findings.

7 hours ago, Ghormeh Sabzi said:

If your symptoms are caused by HPPD then there will be no pertinent findings.

That's what it sounds like. Do you know why?

11 hours ago, K.B.Fante said:

That's what it sounds like. Do you know why?

Because any structural changes in HPPD (if they even exist) are too small to see with the resolving power of an MRI, which cannot image or even make any indirect suggestions at the level of individual neurons, other cells or microstructures, which you would think might be more pertinent. An MRI can show atrophy/lesions if they are substantive enough to appear on a scan, but keep in mind practitioners assessing the images from the scan are known to occasionally miss something pertinent e.g. small tumours - this gives you an idea of the limitations of an MRI scan. If HPPD has caused physical damage or changes in the brain then those are too small to see with an MRI.

I had an MRI done and recall that nothing showed up other than "possible microlesions". I probably should go back and look at it myself, maybe those microlesions were potential for neuronal loss.

Ghormeh Sabzi gave a very good response. 

Edited by dasitmane

My mRI in Feb 2016 talked about abnormalities in certain regions that could cause migraines and demylenization but they said it wasn't anything to worry about.

3 hours ago, TheMythos said:

K.B. I can actually upload the results of my mRI if you want to see it.

Sure, why not. I won't be able to tell much but perhaps others will be able to.