Lion's Mane Mushroom worsening it?

fruitgun

So I got some LMM capsules, each capsule is 620 mg and it says you should take three capsules a day.

I started today, I took one in the morning and felt kind of good. Later on I felt some anxiety but it was not such big of a deal. Than in the afternoon I took a second one and later on I noticed rather strong anxiety, my visuals also seemed to be getting stronger. Also it seems like I am thinking fast, especially when I lie down with closed eyes a lot of random thoughts and pictures are racing through my head. Furthermore I feel kind of depressed and desperate right now. 

It's 19:30 now here and I planned to take the third capsule between 21:00 and 22:00. But I am not sure, I do not want to increase the anxiety even more for nighttime. Maybe I will just leave it at two capsules per day for starters.

Is it normal for symptoms to increase when you start taking LMM? I do not want to give it up completely.

Edited by fruitgun

What does lion's main mushroom do?  Does it help with anxiety?  Some herbals can be very powerful and I can see how they might not always react well.  Someone recommend I try kratom for anxiety.  They swore it worked great.  It turned me into a jittering mess.

You have to be careful with supplements. Everything you put in your body affects your brain to some extent, even the stuff that seems harmless. Also, supplements are business and you have remember their goal is to always sell more of their product so they'll almost always recommend you take way more than you need. I can't tell you how many different supplements I've tried that I thought couldn't affect my mind yet ended up making me feel crazy. My rule is to always start off microdosing, see how I feel, then if I like it I increase the dose. But no matter how much I feel good on something I almost never end up taking what the bottle recommends. 

So today I still feel kind of anxious, but I have the impression that my DP/ DR decreased. I feel more like myself. I also seem to look less for visuals or maybe the visuals even decreased. Might be deluding myself there though.

@MadDoc: LMM is supposed to help with a lot of stuff, many people say it is one of the few supplements that actually work in healing HPPD. You will find a lot of posts about this online, for quite some people it helped to decrease their anxiety, DP/ DR and even their visuals. 

@K.B.Fante: Yes I think as long as I am feeling this anxious, I won't take a capsule today. I might only take one capsule every second day. SInce this supplement seems to have a strong effect, it might be enough.

Maybe I will take valerian with it do decrease possible anxiety/ nervousness.

Edited by fruitgun

The only supplement I take is CBD oil because it helps me get a good night's sleep.  That might be counterintuitive because I can't touch THC.  Some days my hppd is distracting while other days I hardly notice it at all.  My more "visual" days seem to follow a poor night's sleep. I think KB's suggestion of starting with tiny amounts of any supplement is a really good idea.  Everyone is different and you never can tell how it might effect you.  Supplements can also take a while to start working so you may have to give it some time.  I'm probably not saying you don't already know.  I'm going to read up on LMM.  Thanks for the info!

I feel really bad today, I do not think I will take LMM ever again.

I actually really improved during the recent weeks, but today is awful. I actually thought LMM will be the supplement that will help me achieve 100% recovery soon but it seems to throw me back like two months in recovery. I hope my current state is only temporary and the symptoms will decrease during the next days.

46 minutes ago, fruitgun said:

I actually really improved during the recent weeks, but today is awful. I actually thought LMM will be the supplement that will help me achieve 100% recovery soon but it seems to throw me back like two months in recovery. I hope my current state is only temporary and the symptoms will decrease during the next days.

Lion's Mane is a mushroom made into a supplement because of it's cognitive health benefits, but it's important to keep in mind it's still just a mushroom. You can't heal HPPD by eating lots of a single type of mushroom. Blueberries are one of the best brain foods in the world, but you're not going to heal your HPPD by eating a pound of blueberries every day. 

It's not a bad idea to take Lion's Mane, but you need to keep your dose low so that you can handle it and just keep taking a small amount every day over the course of months or even a year to see the benefits, and even then they're likely not going to be anything otherworldly. There's no cure for HPPD, but if you take a holistic approach and don't overdose on supplements and give yourself time to heal and time for everything to add up, then you'll likely see results. 

16 hours ago, K.B.Fante said:

Lion's Mane is a mushroom made into a supplement because of it's cognitive health benefits, but it's important to keep in mind it's still just a mushroom. You can't heal HPPD by eating lots of a single type of mushroom. Blueberries are one of the best brain foods in the world, but you're not going to heal your HPPD by eating a pound of blueberries every day. 

It's not a bad idea to take Lion's Mane, but you need to keep your dose low so that you can handle it and just keep taking a small amount every day over the course of months or even a year to see the benefits, and even then they're likely not going to be anything otherworldly. There's no cure for HPPD, but if you take a holistic approach and don't overdose on supplements and give yourself time to heal and time for everything to add up, then you'll likely see results. 

Yes I was exaggerating with 100% recovery, I just meant that my progress over the recent weeks made me optimistic and I thought LMM will make me feel even better. So it is kind of a disappointment that it actually makes me feel worse.

BTW in this discussion several people mentioned that LMM also increased anxiety for them so it might be a common issue: 

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/18730-lions-main-mushroom/

On other sites I read that it can have a stimulating efffect and one user even claimed that it has some effects similar to DMT lol but not sure if that is correct.

3 hours ago, fruitgun said:

Yes I was exaggerating with 100% recovery, I just meant that my progress over the recent weeks made me optimistic and I thought LMM will make me feel even better. So it is kind of a disappointment that it actually makes me feel worse.

BTW in this discussion several people mentioned that LMM also increased anxiety for them so it might be a common issue: 

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/18730-lions-main-mushroom/

On other sites I read that it can have a stimulating efffect and one user even claimed that it has some effects similar to DMT lol but not sure if that is correct.

Like I said, it's crazy how many supplements that are supposed to be good for you can really mess with those who have HPPD. I think you might be on to something about it being a stimulant. So many herbs have stimulant qualities and we all know people with HPPD don't handle them well. The key is to really microdose. I take stuff that's stimulating, especially in large amounts, but I just take very very small doses of it. If you're still into the brain-boosting mushroom thing you might try reishi mushrooms. I'm currently taking them and I think they're helping quite a bit. 

On 3/26/2017 at 0:05 PM, fruitgun said:

It was a good guess. I looked in to it as well as it showed potential, but I could not find anything on it that it stimulated neuronal growth, so I never deemed it a possible cure. I did take a little bit once but not enough to notice any significant change.

Edit: I have taken rosemary as well and it seemed to have stimulant effects and made my anxiety worse. Though I have read good things about its benefit for the brain.

Edited by dasitmane

• 2 weeks later...

@fruitgun I think you are like me - whatever I take or used to, take before (relaxing, stimulating, good for brain, improving mitochondria/cell metabolism etc etc) - it either makes me feel bad and it just keeps getting worse with every dose OR sometimes it makes me feel GOOD in the first place like Lion's Mane!!! and then after few days taking it i was becoming worse and worse and right now if I take a tenth of a dose I was taking before - it makes me wired. That happens with most substances I develop some weird sensitivity to them...

Before I took few grams of Vit C- it overexcited my brain.. now if i take a pinch - i will feel really bad.

It seems that I am mercury toxic as the only thing that has been helping me ever is DMSA - a mercury chelating agent -  I am doing Andy Cutler's chelation protocol - it is fucking genious regarding removing heavy metals.. Alpha lipoic acid is meant to chelate mercury from the brain then (while DMSA only from the body), but I cannot tolerate Alpha lipoic acid - smallest doses make feel bad for looong time. But I advice anyone to try it and if you do, DO IT ONLY BY ANDY CUTLER'S PROTOCOL. You can find lots of info on it on Andy Cutler Think Tank facebook group.

So if you feel similar to me maybe you should look into mercury toxicity.. you can find out if you have mercury by doing a hairtest and interpreting it in a right way or simply by chelating with DMSA and ALA and seeing your reaction to them (good or bad - it means the same thing - mercury toxicity).

Lot of people in that group experience Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.. some of them, just like me,  also cannot tolarate fish oil, omega 3 , magnesium, vitamin C and some other things..

Good luck.

Edited by onelovez

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to post my experience with lmm. I find it to be nicely synergistic with coffee (which I can now drink again after 6 years of hppd). It’s stimulating and also relaxing for me. However, after several weeks of daily use, I will enter a BLACK depression that lasts 24-48 hours.

I have screwed around with my brain chemistry probably more than most people. I think I’ve probably felt every major type of depression from a neurotransmitter standpoint.... this felt decidedly cholinergic. It’s a pretty distinct feeling, as acetylcholine is competitive with a lot of other neurotransmitters. Excess levels feels a lot like ssri withdrawal combined with too little dopamine. Terrible feeling really. 

tldr: lions mane is safe for me, but daily use leads to cholinergic depression