Anyone else have other 'mental health issues' before HPPD? Any Links?

alice-acid

Firstly , i hope noone's offended by calling it a mental health issue, i just didn't really know what else to call it...

I read on Dr. Abrahams site that all the people he had seen that got HPPD from any drug other than LSD all seemed to have previously existing problems with thier central nervous system in some ways, and i think that is some link to alot of mental health issues?

• 2 weeks later...

I too have had OCDish thoughts from a young age about certain things.

I was also diagnosed Bipolar before HPPD, but I really believe that to be a miss-diagnoses. It was a wasted youth followed by a bought of depression that was read far too much into by a doctor. I only mention this because I have mentioned the bipolar elsewhere on the board - just eradicating any possible confusion.

A lot of anxiety, low self esteem, emotional sensitivity. It is my current theory that the LSD gave me an emotional/spiritual overload, causing anxiety, visual issues and dissociation. I have sorted the anxiety - visual issues have reduced over many years and reduced further now I have stopped using psychedelics again. I am trying to engage with my body and emotions in a full way again after a lifetime of using dissociation, alcohol and other substances to avoid doing this. It is a rocky journey but I am on the right track :)

I do believe that my "HPPD" was basically a drug induced intensification of already existing patterns of behaviour (with additional neon sparkles!)

Very low to maybe non existant anxiety and depression, I was fairly normal to be honest. I do remember when I was younger if I was at a festival type of event I would feel very out of place with all the crazy stuff going on and the amount of people, I suspect it to be dp/dr related as it was a simalir feeling, but I only got it in those situations. It may of had something to do with migraine.

Boogres, you're the only other person I've ever heard say that they got their HPPD a few months AFTER their last trip. That's a big deal, since I was on the old HPPD board for a few years...Anyway, mine also appeared 5 months later, with zero warning, while I was entirely sober -- and doing no substances otherwise, aside from occasional drinks and occasional weed. And ever since that fateful night -- some five years ago -- everything has been here to stay.

To a lesser extent myself compared to my family history. My mother has major depression, has been through psychotic episodes (I am unsure about the actual diagnosis), histrionic personality disorder. My aunt suffers from frequent migraines. Grandmother has many phobias GAD etc. Other then I having sleep issues, night terrors and spells of sleep waking were a frequent occurance during a large potion of my childhood, I was pretty psychologically healthy, albeit noticeably different. A lot of people say I have schiziodish personality traits, although I am pretty sure I would never fit that diagnosis.

Boogres, you're the only other person I've ever heard say that they got their HPPD a few months AFTER their last trip. That's a big deal, since I was on the old HPPD board for a few years...Anyway, mine also appeared 5 months later, with zero warning, while I was entirely sober -- and doing no substances otherwise, aside from occasional drinks and occasional weed. And ever since that fateful night -- some five years ago -- everything has been here to stay.

There are many people that have had their symptoms develop later on down the track.

Comfortably numb- are you the same guy who used to frequent the DP boards back in 07' under the same name? If so, what's up! I have no idea what my login was back then but I know we talked a bit back in the day on that forum.

To the point, I've heard of many people developing symptoms a while after their trip. Mine took about two weeks before it came on. I've heard tons of stories that include a few months between and even some that don't develop until many years after they last took drugs(but there was normally a trigger like surgery, lots of stress etc..) I even developed new symptoms many years after quitting all drugs except alcohol. So it can certainly happen.