Working with HPPD

Hello Guys its nearly my 1year "celebration" for my HPPD 

Ive learned alot about it and it feels like its getting better each month or two

I just wanted to ask how you guys manage to work a job with HPPD?

Most days I feel good but there are also days where you just feel bad and fatigued, ya'll know that feel im sure.

I finished school a few months ago and wanna try to find a job..

But im afraid if I have a job that I will get alot of stress and will get really tired and that my HPPD get very bad 

Im not feeling sure how i could have a job  if I start to feel anxiety or DP/DR or just feeling fatigued and slow

English isnt my native language so sorry for any errors ! :)

thanks for reading

Hi Zandzager.  My advice is to get a job and tough it out.  To me, the worst mentality is to put your life on hold until you're 'better'.  I've had this thing for 35 years, though I don't think about it much anymore and the symptoms are barely noticable.  Like it or not, it's now part of 'you' so you have to move forward.  It sounds like your symptoms may well disappear but be strong and be ambitious.  Most of us (all of us?) get this when we're very young.  I was 19.  I mourned my previous life too much at first, but the fact is, we all have to grow as adults and adulthood is hard for everyone, especially those who have been living a hedonistic (some would say selfish) lifestyle.  The person you want to be lies ahead of you, not behind you.  Much luck mate.

Hi Zandzager.  My advice is to get a job and tough it out.  To me, the worst mentality is to put your life on hold until you're 'better'.  I've had this thing for 35 years, though I don't think about it much anymore and the symptoms are barely noticable.  Like it or not, it's now part of 'you' so you have to move forward.  It sounds like your symptoms may well disappear but be strong and be ambitious.  Most of us (all of us?) get this when we're very young.  I was 19.  I mourned my previous life too much at first, but the fact is, we all have to grow as adults and adulthood is hard for everyone, especially those who have been living a hedonistic (some would say selfish) lifestyle.  The person you want to be lies ahead of you, not behind you.  Much luck mate.

Hey thanks for the advice,  really made me think about it!

Its gonna be hard for sure ..

Having a job will force you to come up with the goods.  I find it the best therapy.  I'm a teacher and I just can't be anxious or depressed to teach.  The worst symptom I still get about once a year, is periods of not being able to talk without slurring my words.  No idea what that's about.  I used to lecture in art history and a couple of times I got minor panic attacks wondering how I'd get through it.  But I always did and it's satisfying to know that you can tough it out.  The dp/dr goes away which is a good thing as it's the pits.  Depression is rooted in going over the past, anxiety is fear of the future.  Live in the present, stay off all drugs and learn to love and respect yourself.  The latter is not a magic wand and every person has to do it.  As a university teacher I've had dozens of kids come to me with sob stories of bi-polarity, depression etc.  The hard fact is, that the world moves on and we can't expect people to feel sorry for us.  Mental health has come a long way in some respects since I got HPPD.  I went to my local GP 30 years ago and told him of my anxiety, depression and sense of hopelessness sometimes.  He basically told me to grow up and get over it.  I wanted to scream at him at the time, but basically it's sound advice.  He was of a generation that came back from WWII, possibly suffered from PTSD in silence and had to live with it.  My greatest fear was people thinking I was 'mental', which becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.  I believe that I have a very self-destructive streak which I'm aware of and have to temper.  I think I did before HPPD and I think that's part of what brought it on.  I wonder how true that is for others?

Another thing to consider is how many millions of 'straight' people are medicating themselves on drink and a whole host of pills.  Why are their lives so awful?  It amazes me on these forums the amount of people looking for a cure, or relief in more drugs, legal and otherwise.  You can't put something in without taking something away.  Clean living and self-respect are the only way.  I hope this doesn't come across as a lecture.  Just my musings after all this time.

I've basically had to setup my life around working from home. Thankfully I am skilled in an area where this is possible and I have thrived. It took a few years to get over even being able to make phone/skype calls, but that subsided.

I generally echo Year 2's views that getting out there and doing things make those things easier, and in a lot of cases that is right. I lead by example there and really do try alot of things that my anxieties try to keep me away from.

But....

Office work is not one that I can do. I have tried at several stages in my life, but the stress and anxiety is just too much to handle. I had to walk out of my last job in an office in London as it was literally like being on a full acid trip. The stress pushed my symptoms to a whole new level.

Working from home, for myself... If I have a bad day, I can make up the hours elsewhere.... Avoiding stress is the key factor, for me... But there are no right or wrongs with this subject.

btw - while you are in that year 1 / year 2 phase where recovery potential and forming coping mechanisms are at their highest.... Is it possible to just take a year out? Maybe go travelling, or just relax for a year. Maybe just do a bit of completely stress free manual labour for some money.

In year 2-3 of my hppd... i just did some factory work for 6 months, then used the money to travel. I think it saved my life.

btw - while you are in that year 1 / year 2 phase where recovery potential and forming coping mechanisms are at their highest.... Is it possible to just take a year out? Maybe go travelling, or just relax for a year. Maybe just do a bit of completely stress free manual labour for some money.

In year 2-3 of my hppd... i just did some factory work for 6 months, then used the money to travel. I think it saved my life.

I have no money at all, I want to travel that why i want a job right now 

My anxiety isnt really that bad I have maybe 2-3 bad days every 2 weeks or 3? 

I have been feeling quite okay for awhile now  I think im getting better quite fast 

Im just afraid if i find a job all  the bad things will return to me again bcuz of stress and working hard 

I heard working out makes your HPPD worse too so i figured that doing heavy work would do the same..

But thanks for the advices ! 

All the comments really helped 

Working out makes me feel better... I get a small increase in visuals while I train and maybe 30 minutes after, but the positives of feeling better far outweigh the negatives.

When I was saving up to go travelling, I was working in a factory where I had no stress or responsibility... I didn't have to talk, just put my headphones on and worked (hard!). It was not enjoyable, with hppd, but it didn't make it worse. Having the goal of going travelling made every hour easier to do.

Managing stress is the key to it.

I agreed here with the replys

Just to go try out and have patients to try out your new job you find out how you react

I start this school year after i geth stabil from hppd in the beginning i could concentrade good buth i recently i pas this school year and my brainfogg is lot better until end of the school year

And even i work last 2 months and going to school in the evening 2 times in week

Now my hppd is olmost noth noticible and having a normal life

succes

Lots of great advice here and I'd echo what Jay said. If you've only had this a year then you're still in the early stages. As Year2 mentions, you shouldn't put life off completely but I also think there's a balance to be struck between living a life with joy and giving yourself a bit of time to heal.

I know for me I couldn't live the same lifestyle I had before HPPD. I was traveling the world, partying, sleeping by the side of the road and that's just not realistic anymore. I've put my life on hold for now and I'm OK with that just because I'm also only at about a year and am doing everything in my power to heal. If I could do the things I did before and hold the jobs I wanted then I probably would, but I still don't think I'm at that point. As people here are well aware, this is truly a debilitating condition. 

In my opinion the best jobs to hold in the early stages of recovery are not career oriented but rather jobs you don't much care about, that way you can quit anytime in case of emergency. I also think jobs where you don't have to talk to too many people are likely ideal as brain fog and other speech problems can interfere with your ability to work and make you frustrated as a result. I've had two jobs in the last year, both working outside, both where I had lots of independence and flexibility. I listened to music almost all day at both and didn't have to talk to too many people. I also think jobs that require you to be on your feet and moving are much better for you as they're good for the brain and can keep your attention away from focusing in on your symptoms. 

This is just my opinion. Perhaps other people feel differently. But this has worked for me and I've liked both my jobs and will probably stay at the one I'm at for another year while I continue to try and recover. 

Lots of great advice here and I'd echo what Jay said. If you've only had this a year then you're still in the early stages. As Year2 mentions, you shouldn't put life off completely but I also think there's a balance to be struck between living a life with joy and giving yourself a bit of time to heal.

I know for me I couldn't live the same lifestyle I had before HPPD. I was traveling the world, partying, sleeping by the side of the road and that's just not realistic anymore. I've put my life on hold for now and I'm OK with that just because I'm also only at about a year and am doing everything in my power to heal. If I could do the things I did before and hold the jobs I wanted then I probably would, but I still don't think I'm at that point. As people here are well aware, this is truly a debilitating condition. 

In my opinion the best jobs to hold in the early stages of recovery are not career oriented but rather jobs you don't much care about, that way you can quit anytime in case of emergency. I also think jobs where you don't have to talk to too many people are likely ideal as brain fog and other speech problems can interfere with your ability to work and make you frustrated as a result. I've had two jobs in the last year, both working outside, both where I had lots of independence and flexibility. I listened to music almost all day at both and didn't have to talk to too many people. I also think jobs that require you to be on your feet and moving are much better for you as they're good for the brain and can keep your attention away from focusing in on your symptoms. 

This is just my opinion. Perhaps other people feel differently. But this has worked for me and I've liked both my jobs and will probably stay at the one I'm at for another year while I continue to try and recover. 

Yeah I see. I was not thinking of a real job either just some vacation job you know haha

What exactly do you mean with early stages, is it going to get worse later on?

Yeah I see. I was not thinking of a real job either just some vacation job you know haha

What exactly do you mean with early stages, is it going to get worse later on?

I'd imagine it will continue to get better since it sounds like you've improved each month or so. I'm just saying it might be best to give yourself a bit of time early on before you jump into a career. Take a year or two to ride this out and see where you're at. That's all. 

I'd imagine it will continue to get better since it sounds like you've improved each month or so. I'm just saying it might be best to give yourself a bit of time early on before you jump into a career. Take a year or two to ride this out and see where you're at. That's all. 

Yeah i wont do that i most likely go travel or go back to school in the next 2 years..

And i Imagine you ment the early stages of my healing? 

Got alittle shocked hehe 

thanks for the replies !

Hi zandzagger. In a year I will be in the same spot as you, and I have the same worries in the back of my mind. Lots of valuable advice here, thanks guys. Interested to hear how it works out for you, feel free keep us posted.

Oh, and I agree that exercise is gold. Daily exercise is what gets me through right now. Highly recommended! I'm also one year in.

All the best.

Hi zandzagger. In a year I will be in the same spot as you, and I have the same worries in the back of my mind. Lots of valuable advice here, thanks guys. Interested to hear how it works out for you, feel free keep us posted.

Oh, and I agree that exercise is gold. Daily exercise is what gets me through right now. Highly recommended! I'm also one year in.

All the best.

Ive been playing pokemon go for a few days now walking and biking alot and it sure does help I maybe thought once or twice about HPPD while i was hunting them juicy pokemons

Goodluck to you too!