Double Peripheral Vision , Ghosting , my worst symptom ,

I am wondering if anybody else has experienced Double vision only in their Peripheral and in both eyes 24/7 . I just getting very sick of this , If anybody has had their Ghosting treated with any meds let me know.. ]   here is the rest of my symptoms

Negative Afterimage

Trails

Photophobia

halos

colors , red , blue , pink , yellow seem to glow

daily headache

tension in neck, shoulders, under chin and tongue.

dry eyes , hard eyeballs

Tinnitus

mild dp/dr

slower frame rate

brain fog

bad fatigue

all around feel like shit.

vibrating feeling inside that matches the frame rate speed

im shure I missed some but you get it .

I feel like Im going crazy and Im supper depressed and have a lot of physical anxiety symtoms

I also take 2.5mg valium maybe once a week and it makes thing look more cloudy and the colors get brighter ... so valium seems to make visual symptom's worse im not shure or Im in denial about it.. Ive had this for 6 months now dp/dr was a lot worse when this first started ....

slower frame rate - This is one that I have that dopamine meds helped.

You can also 'speed' vision up by blocking your peripheral view.  Either outside, inside or both.  Here is an old link on the topic http://hppdonline.com/index.php?/topic/233-movement/?p=1787#entry1787

What meds have you tried so far?

Have you tried TC yet?

The only meds I have tried are , Gabapentin 300mg - for 1 a day for 2 days,  it seemed to make floaters really dark and colors glow brighter and super tired and couldn't stay awake , Valium 2.5 mg - when hppd first started I started to take 5mg 2 times a day for 2 months as I felt like I needed it for super anxiety and when it would start to where off my vision would get even worse and scared the crap out of me like I was afraid I was going blind. Then I realized that I felt like I was having a memory problem like "what did I do last night" I was watching Star Trek on net flix and I couldn't remember if I watched that episode or not, it would take a few minutes then I would remember. So with that memory thing I stopped takeing so much Valium and got down to only taking less and less and now I only take it once a week or less and just recently I was suspicious that it was not helping my vision at all but making it worse for a few days .. It seems to make thing more cloudier and colors glow more and palinopsia alittle worse ..   I have been taking the TC bio-3b-g 2-4 pills a day I sometimes forget the last 2 . I have noticed that it has helped a very little with depression and anxiety and alittle bit more energy during the day , I did feel these effects right away the next day . I do plan on taking the TC poll and commenting on how it has helped some ..  I also just tried the tape on my glasses exercise and I noticed clearer / sharper vision the second I put my glasses on ..  Thanks for your tips and reply its much appreciated.  

It is kind of amazing that reducing the field of view will speed vision up.

Before dopamine meds, the frame rate was between 1/2 and 1 sec.  That doesn't sound like too slow but it is.  Very strange sensation of everything there instantly except meaning.  And if a person was walking, there would be a blur between frames.

The first dopamine med was Wellbutrin SR.  Was angry when getting it because thought it was too weak but it was the only thing docs would prescribe.  But within about 4 hours of 75mg dose, stuff started improving.  About day 6 added another 75mg dose.  Vision got much faster but anxiety/agitation got bad.  So stopped taking it and as the med got out of the body (~5 days) most symptoms returned as they were but not as severe.  And the framerate stayed improved about 50%.

Eventually, it has got so that I cannot tell that it is a frame rate problem (and would not have had the length not been so delayed earlier).  Now it is more the sluggishness that one has when drinking a lot.

Perhaps dopamine meds will help you ... not many report the frame-rate problem.  Also, docs told me that trails and tracers are a dopamine problem.

Some find Gabapentin sedative.  It can vary a lot.

Seems the TC is helping but not dramatic.  Kind of the most common report.  Perhaps it helps 'dopaminers' the most ... time will tell.

I have a pretty bad frame rate problem too. In fact, I'd say that's my biggest problem at the moment and perhaps the stem of all other related symptoms. Any medications you'd suggest for this Visual? Specifically, any meds that are natural, perhaps vitamins or something of this sort?

I have a pretty bad frame rate problem too. In fact, I'd say that's my biggest problem at the moment and perhaps the stem of all other related symptoms. Any medications you'd suggest for this Visual? Specifically, any meds that are natural, perhaps vitamins or something of this sort?

The Wellbutrin SR 150mg mentioned above was actually very helpful ... even just 75mg in the morning.  The problem was that higher doses caused increasing side effects in spite of helping visuals significantly.  Agitation was one problem.  Other was weird eye pain.  This eye pain was one of the first symptoms I had along with blurriness.  It persisted for years.  Since higher amounts of Wellbutrin increased it ... it was concerning and I refused to push it.

Just being on it a week, then off, improved frame rate 50% permanently - even without any meds.  This was significant since the frame rate problem had not really made any improvement in one years time (Oct 2007 to Oct 2008).

Eventually got to Sinemet, of which things gradually improved so that now its the sensation of having drunk too much.  This last bit is connected somehow to DR because the moments that DR improves, the last of framerate improves.  Time will tell.  TC on full meds that I was taking seem to complete this but I reduced meds to better evaluate TC and give it time ... etc, etc ...

Have you tried dopamine increasing meds in the past?

I've tried a benzo (Lorazepam), anticonvulsant (Lamotrigine) and an SSRI (Lexapro). As far as I could tell only the benzo made my frame rate better but not by too much.

So your saying Wellbutrin permanently improved your frame rate after only having taken it for a week but at the same time caused eye pain that lasted for years as well? 

I'm pretty resistant to meds just because it seems like every time I've taken them the side effects have been terrible. But if you think there's something out there that can really help my frame rate I might consider it just because it's still really bad after a year. 

I've tried a benzo (Lorazepam), anticonvulsant (Lamotrigine) and an SSRI (Lexapro). As far as I could tell only the benzo made my frame rate better but not by too much.

So your saying Wellbutrin permanently improved your frame rate after only having taken it for a week but at the same time caused eye pain that lasted for years as well? 

I'm pretty resistant to meds just because it seems like every time I've taken them the side effects have been terrible. But if you think there's something out there that can really help my frame rate I might consider it just because it's still really bad after a year. 

Wellbutrin did not cause any damage.  But the eye pain increased while taking it, especially by day 5 increasing to 150mg /day.  Though there is no pain now, am sure if took 150mg for a few days I would feel it.

The eye pain started along with fuzzy cataract-like vision in May 2007.  Its largely non-existant now (>year) but had it for years ... and pushing NE and even DA meds too hard will make it worse during that.  Suspect that ADD/ADHD meds might be more trouble than PD meds since often they tend to increase NE more, although had no trouble with Selegiline which, though mild, is amphetamine class (sort of)

The only meds that caused long term harm were: Effexor - seizures and 2-3+ years cognitive damage, and Abilify - a single 2mg dose (pediatric) increased restlessness (akathisia) for over 6 months.  Naturally am not fond of SNRIs or antipsychotics!

Curious thing with akathisia, always had mild RLS.  Then when trying Selegiline, slept so peaceful wife got scare I died.  Many months later Abilify ended that ... and even taking Selegiline again has never restored that peacefulness.  Again, there are meds types I hate, but some members say they benefit from them.

Seems to me frame rate is probably my biggest problem at this point. I'm at 11 months exactly and though it's improved quite a bit I still can't track cars or birds or other fast-moving objects across my field of vision without the entire background moving along with them.

Would you advise Wellbutrin for this? If I can make my frame rate better permanently after only a week like you did then I don't see why I shouldn't look into it... 

The negative about Wellbutrin is that while it is a very good antidepressant, it often increases anxiety.  HPPDers usually have anxiety.

The positives are (besides the hope it might help) that because it is an antidepressant, doctors are more willing to prescribe it rather than something like Sinemet.  If you do try, get either the regular or SR version - not the XL.  The most common is 150mg SR pill.  You can brake that into quarters then just try 1/4 in the morning and see.

I took 1/2 at 9am and noticed improvement in 2-3 hours.  By afternoon was sure.  Color was brighter, depth perception improved, frame rate improved, and muscle spasms reduced.  The next day, afternoon following the 2nd dose of 75mg, went to a massage guy that had been working with that year ... he said he could tell it was my body because the muscles were more relaxed.

So it was dramatic since expectations were low.  My experience with dopamine meds that help is that at first it helps a lot for many things, then it backs down to about 50%.  With wellbutrin there was the pain thing and feeling too stimulated, so stopped.  With Sinemet, don't have that (although if took 3 pills at once, would probably have the same problem).  With anxiety, it immediately gets better then in a few days to about 1/2.  When stop taking it ... anxiety/agitation slowly works up in the days/weeks that follow.

Each symptom has its own response.  And the ideal dose is a bell curve for each.  Your anxiety will likely increase, but its possible that it will temporarily decrease.  Meds are weird that way.

It you have improvements, then you know that you are a dopamine responder and it is a matter of finding out the best balance.

It would be interesting to see if you (or anyone else) gets frame-rate improvement.  This problem is not mentioned much.  Maybe its rare or maybe the 'rate' is fast enough for most that they don't realize that that is what is happening ... just a sluggish 'disconnection' from what they look at.

Thanks for this Visual. I won't see my doctor for a while but next time I do I might ask him about this and see if it helps. What about other natural dopamine-increasing meds like Tyrosine or Theanine? Any idea if these have any positive effects? I know they're not as strong but perhaps if I experimented with these first and got an idea of whether they helped or not I could then proceed to the heavier stuff. Not sure if it works this way with meds though; I'm still a beginner with all this.

Also, doesn't anybody with streamers have a frame rate problem? It's essentially the same thing right? I still have really bad streamers but it wasn't until recently that I realized it's just a matter of frame rate. It's the same concept as if you wave your hand in front of your face really fast over and over increasing speed to the point where it blurs together. There comes a certain point where you just can't see that fast, it's just that with HPPD it's much much slower than regular. I don't know, this is just the way it seems to me...

Streamer and trails would seem to be that same basic brain areas at work.  Basically for visual perception, half come from the most recent 'frame' and then the rest of perception involves comparing the current frame with the previous one(s).

See:

And of course the many links incorporated

I've never read of dopamine's involvement in the systems but clearly it is.

The natural stuff doesn't hurt to try.  Tyrosine feeds ldopa which feeds dopamine, etc...  It also feeds tyramine and the thyroid.  I took so many herbs and supplements without results that it is difficult to even try to list them ... but perhaps they ended up building a supportive base that the meds could work with.  Certainly if there is any sort of 'malnutrition' going on, it will impair meds and/or getting well.