HPPD and Effexor

Evening, haven't been coming around lately

What have been your experiences on Effexor or venlafaxine? I've been on Sertraline and it worked like a charm for my HPPD, but I've been getting some occasional depression and anhedonia and my doctor is considering gradually switching me to the medication.

I know sertraline has been a magic bullet for some, but I want to know what have been your personal experiences with SNRIs in general but particularly with Effexor.

Cheers

Fascinating.  Sertraline (Zoloft) gives me severe anxiety and Effexor seizures.  Don't know of many members who find Zoloft to be a magic bullet.  And some have actually got HPPD from it.

But everyone is different.  Since you do well with sertraline you might do well on effexor.  There are a few members here on it.

All SSRIs and SNRIs cause anhedonia.  Same with anti-psychotics.  One has to decide what to live with - you can't have your cake and eat it too.  

But until you try a med, you won't know.

What were your symptoms of HPPD that sertraline fixed?  Is anhedonia the only problem you now have?

Fascinating.  Sertraline (Zoloft) gives me severe anxiety and Effexor seizures.  Don't know of many members who find Zoloft to be a magic bullet.  And some have actually got HPPD from it.

But everyone is different.  Since you do well with sertraline you might do well on effexor.  There are a few members here on it.

All SSRIs and SNRIs cause anhedonia.  Same with anti-psychotics.  One has to decide what to live with - you can't have your cake and eat it too.  

But until you try a med, you won't know.

What were your symptoms of HPPD that sertraline fixed?  Is anhedonia the only problem you now have?

It helped to recover my fucked up cognition, fixed the strange brain pressure I had (and its balance issues) as well as my depression and the horrible HPPD anxiety.

However, the depression and the brain pressure have been returning, and my cognition is a bit 'off'. Might all be a part of my depression for all I know.

Currently taking:

Bromazepam, 6mg

Keppra, 1g

Zoloft, 150mg

Lamictal, 100mg

Might end up switching the Zoloft to Lexapro of Effexor. I hope this relapse is temporary. 

I've also stopped inhaling nicotine vapor (used it for cognition) for the most part and that seems to have caused a bit of a flare up in symptoms, as it used to improve them. Same for caffeine, but I'm planning to start drinking coffee again cause for some reason it really helps me out.

Zoloft worked briefly for me... I take a tiny dose currently and am looking to switch.  I did the genetic site testing and I'm waiting for the results. 

Lexapro worked really well for me for about 15 years, until the patent ran out and they switched to a generic and my brain went haywire.  Switching back to the original formulation did nothing.

I've been on Effexor pre-HPPD when I was a kid.  I can't remember what it was like other than if worked fast and it helped a little.

I would be reluctant to try it even if it comes up as a "green light" for me on my genetic testing- it's notoriously hard to come off of, with some people never being able to do so if they've been on it for a long time.

I hear you though, I'd be willing to try anything that improves my cognition, even if my visuals were a little worsened (which I think they are on the Zoloft)

Good luck.  Keep me posted please! - you don't see a whole lot of people who take SSRI's on here.  I personally need them to function, apparently.  :P

Zoloft worked briefly for me... I take a tiny dose currently and am looking to switch.  I did the genetic site testing and I'm waiting for the results. 

Lexapro worked really well for me for about 15 years, until the patent ran out and they switched to a generic and my brain went haywire.  Switching back to the original formulation did nothing.

I've been on Effexor pre-HPPD when I was a kid.  I can't remember what it was like other than if worked fast and it helped a little.

I would be reluctant to try it even if it comes up as a "green light" for me on my genetic testing- it's notoriously hard to come off of, with some people never being able to do so if they've been on it for a long time.

I hear you though, I'd be willing to try anything that improves my cognition, even if my visuals were a little worsened (which I think they are on the Zoloft)

Good luck.  Keep me posted please! - you don't see a whole lot of people who take SSRI's on here.  I personally need them to function, apparently.  :P

Have heard that about generics of all sorts.  There are differences (so much for truth-in-labeling)

What meds are you currently taking?

I'm taking a ridiculously low dose of zoloft... about 25 mg every other day.  Sounds weird but I can't handle too much and none at all is also very bad for me...

Also klonopin (0.5 or so a day) and vitamins (magnesium and D3 are my most important ones)

I had the same problem with the lexapro... got down to a balancing a minute dose.  I don't think I really need the antidepressants but without a tiny amount in my bloodstream my brain goes haywire (was taking them pre HPPD).

For what it's worth, I took effexor for a few months pre-HPPD and it obliterated my anxiety but didn't do much for my depression. YMMV

When starting Effexor, there would be brief moments of feeling euphoric.  More frequently there would be moments where whole body was vibrating.  The first couple times thought it was an earthquake but then realized the vibration frequency was too high, so looked and saw it was whole body vibrating.  At the time, thought the euphoria was a positive serotonin effect ... perhaps it was pre-seizure since many epileptics report feeling euphoria just before having a seizure.  By day 8, doctor said to stop and never touch the stuff again.  Was taking the brand name tapering dose pack.  Guess Effexor turned me into a vibrating bed in a cheap motel ...

It did nothing at all regarding visuals.  Besides the above it caused a serious cognitive problem that took 2-3 years to recover.  Could no longer do columns of simple math.  Not only were some of the answers incorrect, would develop a headache and become so fatigued that had to go to bed for the rest of the day.  Although have mostly recovered, the experience was so profoundly negative it kind of gives me the willies to even look at the math problems.  Naturally, when people ask about Effexor, tend to discourage taking it ... but everyone is different.

This is an example of the simple math problems of which I refer - this has 25 problems to solve ... it only took 50 to make me ill.

addtwo_24-4.jpg

I'm taking a ridiculously low dose of zoloft... about 25 mg every other day.  Sounds weird but I can't handle too much and none at all is also very bad for me...

Also klonopin (0.5 or so a day) and vitamins (magnesium and D3 are my most important ones)

I had the same problem with the lexapro... got down to a balancing a minute dose.  I don't think I really need the antidepressants but without a tiny amount in my bloodstream my brain goes haywire (was taking them pre HPPD).

Could take 1/4 of a Zoloft pill without anxiety (6.25mg), but it did nothing helpful at that dose

Tried Lexapro without significant negative effect (except had to double Sinemet) but it had no positive effect

TCA helped emotions a little for 1 or 2 days, then became ineffective

For me, as a rule, increasing serotonin tends to blur vision a little, reduce contrast and night vision.  Even melatonin will tend to do this, which is kind of weird

I've noticed that since starting TC, am much less [hyper]sensitive to things.  Am wondering if those who have some results with SRIs and SNRIs at very specific dosing are those who have mixed responses (good + bad) to TC - See http://hppdonline.com/index.php?/topic/5027-thiamine-cocarboxylase/page-6#entry32540

When starting Effexor, there would be brief moments of feeling euphoric.  More frequently there would be moments where whole body was vibrating.  The first couple times thought it was an earthquake but then realized the vibration frequency was too high, so looked and saw it was whole body vibrating.  At the time, thought the euphoria was a positive serotonin effect ... perhaps it was pre-seizure since many epileptics report feeling euphoria just before having a seizure.  By day 8, doctor said to stop and never touch the stuff again.

That's bizarre. Had you ever had a seizure before starting effexor? I never experienced that with it but it sounds very similar to what I felt the first time it ate shrooms. 

Guess Effexor turned me into a vibrating bed in a cheap motel ...

:lol:

It did nothing at all regarding visuals.  Besides the above it caused a serious cognitive problem that took 2-3 years to recover.

Could that be due to the possible seizures that it was causing? Strangely, I had never been able to think clearer than when I was taking effexor and adderall, though that might have been do to it helping my anxiety. 

Naturally, when people ask about Effexor, tend to discourage taking it ... but everyone is different.

Same. Everyone told me that it changed my personality for the worse and I ended up down a brutal path of self destruction that helped landed me here. But I could see it helping someone with crippling anxiety that wants to taken an antidepressant.

Side note: Is there any way to turn on notifications on this forum? I didn't realize that you aren't notified if someone comments on a thread after you post.

That's bizarre. Had you ever had a seizure before starting effexor? I never experienced that with it but it sounds very similar to what I felt the first time it ate shrooms. 

Never had a seizure before.  Since, sometimes there has been flash or light.  Then there have been a few times that I'd be driving and then have no idea where I was or what anything meant (such as 'speed limit 65') ... not only 'what does that mean' but the very concept of 'meaning' was gone, just the knowledge that nothing had meaning and that needs to change.  Didn't crash, and got the sense that could still drive (and better at 65mph  :P ).

This only lasted a 10-15 seconds and sounds like perhaps a mild version of absence seizure.  There has also been the quick blackouts, such as sitting at the computer and everything turned off and then on - but happened so fast that didn't even fall out of chair.

Although had an EEG early on, because of these events it is thought there is a seizure disorder.  It has been a long time since any kind of event but am always sure to be rested before going out.   Maybe get a padded cell floor? 

Could that be due to the possible seizures that it was causing? Strangely, I had never been able to think clearer than when I was taking effexor and adderall, though that might have been do to it helping my anxiety. 

Naturally, when people ask about Effexor, tend to discourage taking it ... but everyone is different.

That is what I've thought ... that somehow these cheap-motel-events 'stressed' some cognitive pathways and caused some real injury.  At least much has resolved.

Haven't tried any ADD/ADHD meds and have thought they might be useful.  But they tend to also increase serotonin and that might not be so good for me.  Parkinson's meds are similar but don't do much with serotonin.  Wellbutrin was helpful at low doses but higher causes anxiety (though was more helpful for visuals).  It would seem that too much norepinephrine can also be a problem.

In the end, have only been able to think and to 'repair' through meds classed as stimulant.  Like Goldilocks, got to get it just right.  Seems there is often a tight rope act going one, although since TC am much more resilient/tolerant of things ... time will tell.

Interesting that it changed your personality negatively.  Do you remember how if affected you feelings/desires that lead you that way?

Side note: Is there any way to turn on notifications on this forum? I didn't realize that you aren't notified if someone comments on a thread after you post.

Jay 'upgraded' me to Admin so I could help with this stuff.  But haven't figured it out yet (so am not very useful).  We are supposed to have an upgrade (maybe it happened).  Will give it a look but am concerned about pressing the wrong button.

wi3AW8F.jpg