Prescription Glasses

mistake87

Can wearing prescription glasses make symptoms worse? I started wearing them for short sightedness and astigmatism around 3 months ago, since then my vision (after being v mild for around 10 years) has gone absolutely insane.

Does anyone have any thoughts/input? Do you wear glasses? If so does it affect your symptoms at all?

I wear glasses and contact lens and neither of the two make my symptoms worse. Maybe you should search for another cause...i'm very sorry for your i read you story, I hope you get better again, stay strong as much as you can, yes it's easy to write this and i'm not you, but i sincerely think that it's just a phase and you will get better...

I wear both prescription spectacles and contact lenses full time. I have a high Hyperopic prescription of around +6.00D R&L with 0.75D of Astigmatism. My visuals are not as bad when I am not wearing any correction but then again I can barely see anything without them lol.

If we think about the visual system as a whole. An image is focused on your Retina by your Cornea and Crystaline Lens. The rays of light cause a chemical reaction in the cells of your Retina that is then converted to an electrical signal and passed along your Optic nerve through your optic chiasma and then to your visual cortex in the occipital lobe (the back of your brain). This raw visual information is then interpreted by other areas of your brain and then passed on to your conciousness. This all happens in micro seconds.

Your new spectacles are focusing Rays of light more precisely onto your retina and depending on your prescription, the image on your retina may be of a different size and height to an image formed by your cornea and lens alone. This will result in slightly different signals being sent to your visual cortex. The visual cortex is highly advanced and it's also one of the areas of the brain where most psychedelics have their action. Your visual cortex is probably very sensitive to any changes in raw visual signals. A sharper image on the retina will cause a stronger stimulation in your brain and possible more noticeable visual HPPD symptoms.

You may want to consider getting either photochromic spectacle lenses (transitions) or a slight comfort tint on your lenses. This should reduce the amount of light getting into your eyes which will in turn reduce the strength of the signals to your brain and should reduce symptoms. I would also try contact lenses as they fit closer to your eye and provide a much more natural retinal image height and visual field. You can always speak to your Optometrist in confidentiality if you are concerned.

Can wearing prescription glasses make symptoms worse? I started wearing them for short sightedness and astigmatism around 3 months ago, since then my vision (after being v mild for around 10 years) has gone absolutely insane.

Does anyone have any thoughts/input? Do you wear glasses? If so does it affect your symptoms at all?

One common symptom of HPPD is Pareidolia, particularly faces https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

I've never had that but noticed that when not wearing glasses (so everything is a bit fuzzy), will actually see them - so in fact do have it in the right setting.  Its quite possible that with small changes in eye prescription (or whatever) there will be enough changes in retinal info for the brain to show different symptoms.

Recently while wearing sunglasses outside, eyeglasses fell out of pocket and got lost.  So for a couple days could not see clearly far or near.  It began creating a panic like feeling.

Do you find your symptoms ease or change when you don't wear your new glasses?  It may be hard to tell now its been a few months.

Pareidolia.jpg

pareidolia3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...