Cognitive Dysfunction

I think our cognitive dysfunction can be attributed to PTSD as PTSD is known to have deleterious effects on cognition. HPPD is definitely minor neurological damage to an extent, albeit I don't believe it's pathology alone can be so detrimental to cognition. How many of you have experienced a difficult or traumatic drug experience that went unresolved?

I think that's a primary catalyst to more severe HPPD; the last time I tripped on any psychedelic it was LSD almost five years ago, and it essentially made me psychotic for two months and manifested this hallucinogenic wasteland I'm fucking stuck in.

• Upvote 1

I think our cognitive dysfunction can be attributed to PTSD as PTSD is known to have deleterious effects on cognition. HPPD is definitely minor neurological damage to an extent, albeit I don't believe it's pathology alone can be so detrimental to cognition. How many of you have experienced a difficult or traumatic drug experience that went unresolved?

I think that's a primary catalyst to more severe HPPD; the last time I tripped on any psychedelic it was LSD almost five years ago, and it essentially made me psychotic for two months and manifested this hallucinogenic wasteland I'm fucking stuck in.

i had a very painful experience (in fact the worst and terrifying of my life) the last time i was tripping ...which led to my hppd...im glad my hppd is over ...but still have slight anxiety issues when i do drugs to a certain extent...but i can smoke a little cannabis again and enjoy it whereas at the beginning i wasnt even able to smoke a very tiny piece of tobacco without having a major panic attack and a tremendous increase in visuals...so it seems that i trained myself and learned not to freak out again...i hope the progress is going on cause i want to enjoy smoking bongs too..would be nice

how do you feel about smoking cannabis...has there been a time where you couldnt smoke since your onset? and did you have anxiety issues? if so.. how long did it take you to come over and be able to enjoy weed again?

Hey Trip Into Hell,

I've had anxiety virtually my entire life so becoming permafried kinda mitigated my anxiety. :/ I was sober for 11 months before I relapsed on cannabis, and I smoke copious amounts now; I can burn 10 grams a day, I'm dependent as fuck on it. I reintroduced myself to cannabis gradually with a bowl, assessed there was no damage and continued blazing, for me personally I know I can smoke with abatement of symptoms, I'm fortunate.

I'd recommend complete abstinence, but from reading your posts I see you're a drug connoisseur like me. I'll honestly never be ready to commit to complete sobriety with HPPD because it fucking sucks, albeit my weed highs aren't the same pre-HPPD. I'm at an impasse; it does relieve my symptoms, though. I even smoke THC concentrate with upwards to 80% potency without any issues.

P.S.- Congrats on a rapid recovery, I'm in for the long haul as I had zero reduction in symptoms in that first year of sobriety, and I relapsed with apathy. My only concern is the cognitive dysfunction; I've dealt with derealization for a good portion of my life before using/abusing psychoactive substances and my visuals are almost transient whilst sober and high.

thanks for your post..and as you mentioned i fucking love drugs and especially cannabis and could never hesitate to do them...or even forget cannabis for the rest of my life..it gave me so much but i still understand that a good period of time in sobriety is necessary for the first few month after onset...yes i know what youre talking about even though my weed high is not the same again its kind of a new experience i still can appreciate whereas in the beginning i thought i would never touch anything out there.

smoking 10grams a day would be a journey to earth shattering panic attacks for me...i need 5 days to smoke 0.5g...3 month before i would have needed 2 weeks for 0.5g

its amazing that you are able to smoke high concentrates...i would love dabbing if it wouldnt be too strong for me.

i had very strong and crippling dp/dr at the beginning of this shit...but i havent had it in my life before..so it was really shocking to see this is possible

how long did your recovery take to the point where you could smoke good amounts?

I'm a colossal stoner, lmao. Yeah, DP/DR is induced by anxiety as a defense mechanism by our brains to inhibit sensory overload which psychedelics, ESPECIALLY a traumatic trip precipitate. I've even wrecklessly eaten 8 grams of shrooms last summer with no exacerbation in symptoms.....I was in a particularly fucked up mentality that day, lol. I've had HPPD for five years, and have frequented this forum since 2011, it's pretty much plateaued by now, I don't give a fuck anymore. I do what I want all day, don't conform to societal trends and actually live life because of this disorder. I'd say approximately a year. Initially, cannabis made everything worse, but I remember crossing a high threshold and my HPPD symptoms started to reduce in intensity. I also supplement my weed habit with 2mg of Klonopin every few days. I eat healthy, exercise and take supplements, too. You can make half a gram last almost a week?!??!?! Lucky fuck.

I dunno, I'm contemplating quitting, I'm chasing the proverbial dragon with my drug problem, and when I'm blasted as fuck I have an affinity to indulge in any substance around me, which could fuck me in the future.

thats strange...8 grams brought me into this condition...and you simply ingest the same amount with no increase in symptoms or anxiety, a bad setting and no increase in symptoms..you must be really tough...

mine started at the beginning of the last year and after 4 1/2 month hppd faded completely...the only thing remaining is the tripping anxiety..which i hope to overcome completely one day.

ok a year is nice...so you recovered pretty fast...for me its a long way to get back as you can see.

and taking klonopin is good for anxiety many people can smoke weed again with klonopin (but i never get it prescribed) + i dont think klonopin is the only reason why youre able to smoke big amounts.

im eating healthy and take vitamin b12 which helps big time

its madness but weed has become so potent for me..i ate a very small amount (lets say 80mg) of selfmade cannabis oil and it kicked me out of the universe..i could hear my thoughts throughout the whole tirp (made me paranoid cause i was walking through the city and didnt know if i only think or even speak it out loud) and when i was in the dark i could even see them...was so weird and scary but just as fascinating

I didn't recover within a year completely, that's when I started to smoke cannabis again. I still have debilitating cognitive dysfunction, that incessantly tripping sensation and just a generally psychotic feeling, it's fucking chaos. I've always had a high tolerance to drugs, I could ingest more quantity of a substance than my peers and appear less intoxicated and function better than them.

i dont think exactly that way...we are both right dp/dr/anxiety at its beginning is no brain damage but the brain always adjusts different circumstances the longer they last and in the case of dp/dr/anxiety it leads to unusual brain groth over time...so compared to a normal brain there is a difference which can be perceived as damage...or you could say adverse brain growth...based on this knowledge i come to the conclusion that the brain is able to rewire even though it takes a long time and hard work...but it has to be done as early as possible before the brain is caught in that state forever. 

Eh, I probably ingested some synthetic substance being marketed as LSD, I don't fucking know! When I contracted HPPD, I was literally retarded; I remember going to the movies with a friend a week after my traumatic LSD trip, and I couldn't even retrieve money from my wallet to pay for a snack without using all of my prefrontal cortex. I felt literally fried; my three friends who ingested the same blotter had no dilemmas. The only thing that ameliorated the severe brain fog was Klonopin, and I still felt like a fucking shell of my self, and still do. It's depressing knowing I fucked up my brain on an empirically non-neurotoxic substance, and I just feel worthless.

• Upvote 1

ye thats so depressing...even the fact that its possible for almost every mind altering substance to do that to someones brain forever....but maybe it has nothing to do with the actual substance other than functioning as a trigger for a negative predisposition or a bad mindstate, to be turned into a nightmare...i came to this conclusion cause not everybody gets hppd/dp/dr from taking drugs...its ignorant to think that these substances cause hppd/dp/dr randomly..cause jet no body even knows what exactly hppd/dp/dr is..

...i mean..ive used psychedelics over hundreds of times and never had such issues...until i started using them in the wrong way (too often, higher doses, in a bad mood and wrong motive)...its very mysterious...

just like i have some kind of ban/course lying on me for a certain time until i fixed the issues of my life in general and changed my attitude/mindset regarding mind altering substances...

I've noticed a huge change in my cognitive function. I get lost easily driving, I'm constantly forgetting things, being all around absent minded, confused easily, and I have no sense of time. It's affecting me everyday, I'm getting frustrated with myself. My friends and family don't understand what I'm going through and how defeating it is.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Can definitely relate. Recently (in my third year) what has happened earlier in the day has started to merge completely with yesterday for me. My recovery has been slow, but linear, so it's depressing to see that I'm seemingly declining cognitively as of late. 

What you said about losing sense of direction etc was very prevalent for me in the beginning. It has improved though. It's a typical symptom of a rekt hippocampus.