Met someone with HPPD

K.B.Fante

So I went to dinner last night with some new friends and one of the guys there told me about a time he got a concussion in high school then smoked weed right after and essentially stayed high for four months after. He said it totally changed his life, that he didn't know what was happening to him, that he was constantly seeing visual disturbances and seeing himself in third person and that it took him a long time afterwords to recover. This was before I even opened up about my HPPD so I thought it was pretty interesting. I told him he had HPPD since he didn't know what it was called. It was pretty cool to actually meet someone in person with HPPD, although his circumstances are obviously much different than mine. 

Anyway, thought I'd share this. Seems more and more I meet people in the sober community who know someone who's gotten HPPD. Still can't believe it's not more widely known though... 

Honestly I think that HPPD is pretty common, it's just that certain people with obsessive tendencies make a big deal of it and have major trouble.

One of my roommates has done his share of psychedelics and he says that he has minor trailing that hasn't gone away, but he simply doesn't care enough to make a big deal of it. He still smokes weed pretty constantly. Another friend of mine who sold me the acid that messed me up has lasting visual disturbances that I think are actually pretty severe by our standards here, but whenever I've asked him about it, he just shrugs. Another friend of mine was downright hearing things and seeing things for awhile but she has gotten over it. I'm beginning to think that it really is a mindset thing, and that conscious awareness makes it work.