(PLEASE HELP) Second-Hand Marijuana Smoke??

Hi all,

First off, thank you for taking the time out to read this and help me. I believe I developed HPPD two and a half years ago. It most likely came about as a result of marijuana smoking. The molly and drinking I did at the time probably contributed. My main problem is tilted vision as a result. It is scary and uncomfortable. 

Because I believe that my HPPD is a result of mainly marijuana smoking I have developed a fear of being around marijuana. This includes second-hand marijuana smoke. Right now, I am in college and in a dorm where they have balconies. The guy next door smokes weed in his balcony. Our balconies are separated by a wall that's two feet thick. I leave my balcony door closed but there is some cold air coming in from the cracks. Basically, I am afraid that marijuana smoke is getting in my room.  Sometimes I feel like I smell weed in my room but it doesn't smell like weed smoke, just a scent similar to weed that is not yet smoked. I have had anxiety issues since I was around 12 years old (20 now), so I could simply be imagining the weed-like smell because of my anxiety. It's crazy because I'm not even sure if I smell weed. 

My question is, even if a tiny tiny amount of weed-smoke is getting in to my room via the tiny cracks on the balcony side of my room, is this something I should be concerned about? I am particularly worried about it because my HPPD seems to have come about mainly due to my past marijuana smoking. I also feel like I am being completely paranoid. Any insights?

P.S.: I am worried because I have been feeling weird lately as a result of this situation. This could be because I am worrying a lot. A year ago, I had a suite-mate who would smoke in his room and the apartment would smell like weed smoke a lot. However, I wasn't so worried about how the marijuana smoke would affect my vision thus it didn't seem like my vision worsened. Now, the marijuana smoke (if there is any) is a lot less in amount but I am worrying more. It seems like my HPPD is worsening because of my worrying and not because of the tiny tiny amount of marijuana smoke that could be entering my room. Please help.

im not sure if i can tell you something you dont already know..but i think youre just obsessing...the science behind that is weed smell (if not smoked) can not possibly have an effect on somebody because the cannabinoids in the weed need to be decarboxylated to form an active compound..which happens while smoking or even vaping...the only thing you could worry about is that marijuana smoke is affecting you...but the scent alone can not do that...

so if its smoke i would try to cope with the idea to inhale it cause its much too less to really have a noticable effect on somebody..or think about how to make your room airtight..

and if you say you have anxiety issues..what are you afraid of?

i have anxiety myself which came along with hppd...now that my hppd is over i still have these issues...my fear is to be dissociated and altered states...but i fight that fear everyday even though its hard...i can even smoke grass again with pleasure instead of panic/panic attacks unless i smoke too much...at the onset of my disorder i couldnt even smoke a tiny dot of tobacco withaout having a medium panic attack...so it is possible to learn to beat it..but you need to have a lot of patience and courage to do it.    

dont get me wrong please i dont say ''smoke weed''... i just want to tell you that everything is possible..dont give up yourself, youre stronger than you think.

I am the same way. Second hand Weed smoke greatly increases my anxiety and symptoms. My roommate smokes pot. She would smoke it in the house all the time but I asked her to do it outside and she agreed. Although it doesn't have a permanent or lasting effect on your hppd it does irritate it.

I did have my symptoms flare after making out with a girl on new years after she had taken a some rips off the bong. The next day my visuals and anxiety were increased but that's because the thc was directly transferred.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly don't worry about that at all. You smell tobacco and alcohol all the time around different places and you never get any effect from that. The smell is just made up of burning plant matter the thc would only make it into your bloodstream if you were in an air tight room with many people smoking very close to you and even tgen the effects would be negligible. The problem is that your brain automatically associates the distinct smell of cannabis with making your HPPD worse and thus induces panic and fear. It's a placebo effect. Just keep telling yourself that second hand smoke can do no harm to you and that you are very strong for not smoking it yourself. If it is really freaking you out I would definitely invest in some sort of good quality air freshener / incense.

• Upvote 1

You could get used to it or just call the police if its illegal where you live. I always get anxiety from 2nd hand weed smoke but most when i cant get away from the situation directly. Wouldnt wanna go to Jamaica really

calling the police is the last and most stupid option...cause you can get real problems with your neighbour and keep in mind that no one can prove where the smell comes from directly so im not sure if they can get a search warrant for his apartment cause my neighbours tryed the same with me and the cops had no right to step into my flat.. :D i was laughing at them :D..my neighbours regretted calling the cops later..these stupid motherfuckers.

..i would talk to him first or try to avoid the smoke to enter my room or even coping with the idea of inhaling it.

Thanks for all the responses. Thing is I've become so paranoid about being around weed smoke. I am not even sure if I smell smoke sometimes, I could just be mistakening another smell for smoke. And my HPPD could very well be getting worse because I am so stressed about the situation haha.. Any advice?

I don't think it would be a problem if your door is closed. I have been affected since early December when at my husband's birthday party, folks were smoking weed OUTSIDE - I was not with them. I was not anywhere near them. But I could smell it from inside the house - I thought I was being paranoid. i have had trails ever since that night, and other parts of HPPD got worse too - that's three months ago. 

Second hand weed smoke is something to be careful of for sure - I would talk to your neighbour or switch dorms if it were me.

• 7 years later...

Hi everyone,

I found this old thread - I have been dealing with a very bad flare up from second-hand smoke since yesterday (trails, objects moving, the whole perception is weird, very severe ghosting). I am looking for some reassurance... did it go away/back to the baseline in your case or any case that you know about?

• 5 weeks later...

I am terrified of secondhand weed smoke as well. I actually hold my breath if I happen to be around it. Or I’ll walk away. I don’t know anyone who really smokes it though except my stepdad, at his house (it’s legal here, so actually there are times that the smell will drift in the wind if I’m out and about.) I panic when I even smell it. Since I’m never around people who smoke it, I don’t know…so I don’t have a clue if my HPPD could get worse from it. But I firmly believe that your flare will fade. Also, it’s a “duh” thing to say, but if you can, try not to panic. I have had flares from different things and they eventually go away.