Pre-HPPD symptoms, possible Risk Factors?

Possible Risk Factors  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have any of these before you took any drugs?

• Visual Snow / Static
    • After images
    • Trails
    • Halos / Auras
    • Flashes of Color
    • Geometric Patterns
    • Movement / Size Distortions
    • Closed Eye Visuals
    • Color Confusion
    • Floaters
    • Paredolias (images withing images)
    • Depersonalization / Derealization
    • Parasomnias (abnormal sleep states)
    • Other (please comment)
  2. 2. After drugs, while on drugs, but before full HPPD

• Visual Snow / Static
    • After images
    • Trails
    • Halos / Auras
    • Flashes of Color
    • Geometric Patterns
    • Movement / Size Distortions
    • Closed Eye Visuals
    • Color Confusion
    • Floaters
    • Paredolias (images withing images)
    • Depersonalization / Derealization
    • Parasomnias (abnormal sleep states)
    • Other (please comment)
  3. 3. Other mental conditions before HPPD

• Anxiety Disorders (PTSD, OCD, phobias, social anxiety, panic etc.)
    • Major Depression
    • Bipolar Disorder
    • Paranoia / delusions
    • Schizophrenia
    • Personality Disorders (borderline, narcissistic, schizoid, etc.)
    • ADD/ADHD
    • Other
    • -History of mental conditions in family?

It's a long poll, but I guess it can help identifying possible dispositions / risk factors for HPPD.

I know that there are people on this forum who never did drugs before, yet they have some of these symptoms. I think it's important to identify if these are warning signs for the possibilty of developing HPPD.

I didn't see any polls like this on the forum, sorry if this was done before.

Now that I think about it, I had most of these signs before what I consider as the onset of my HPPD. I had floaters, vivid CEVS and excessive paredolias since I was a child. (and some others but they were occasional and mild)  I even have drawings of the things I saw on wood, marble or other textured surfaces. Also, I don't remember if I actually saw them, but most of my paintings from my childhood have trees with bright multicolored auras around them. Everyone thought that I was a gifted painter back then...

I was 13 years old when I first smoke pot. On my 14th birthday, I smoked some strong weed and had a full-blown psychedelic trip. It was a lot more intense then most of my later trips with LSD. At one point my vision was completely blocked by vivid patterns, which reminded me of the carpets in my grandma's house, and a photo of my brother as a baby somehow. After that night, I occasionally saw the same patterns when I smoked, but when I try to draw them they change constantly.

Started experimenting with psychedelics at 15, got hppd at 22 after a terrible shroom trip. I was already struggling with severe depression (and possibly PTSD) before that.

Weird thing is, it seems like my creativity has been diminished after psychedelics, and I somehow lost the CEVs and paredolias after getting full HPPD.

My mother's side have some history of mental disorders. Phobias and major depression in mum, my uncle was hospitalised one because of a brief psychotic episode after his divorce. my elder brother has been diagnosed with many things since his childhood (dyslexia, adhd, bipolar...)

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

I always had anxiety when I was little but I stopped having anxiety during middle school and the first half of freshman year of high school but when I got into drugs, I was always having anxiety when I wasn't on them. I first something was wrong when I stopped doing drugs for the summer of 2014 and thought "ok I fucked up my brain" cuz I didn't know why I was experiencing this even after I stopped doing drugs. I didn't even find out about HPPD and never even heard of it til this passed May but my HPPD has gotten much worse since then because I started tripping on diphenhydramine but on Fourth of July, I tripped on Diphenhydramine 3 nights in a row. I have been having constant panic attacks and anxiety. My visuals are now to the point where I see COLORS in the dark. I have derealization and I suspect I might have depersonalization but I kinda doubt it

• 4 months later...

even after the first time i took lsd whenever i smoked weed i would start tripping again like full on geometric yellow, red, blue hallucinations. if you have taken a hallucinogen and you trip whenever you smoke I would strongly advise you to never take hallucinogens again. better yet stay off drugs completely. all they do is fuck peoples lives up in one way or another.

• 1 month later...

Great poll! It looks like there is a clear link between anxiety disorders before tripping and developing HPPD. I have mild social anxiety. I have always been very sensitive to criticism and I am wondering if this sensitivity is linked with sensitivity to psychedelics.

• 4 months later...

If you notice that you start tripping any time you smoke weed after taking your first hallucinogen. STOP taking hallucinogens. That could have been the red flag that saved my normal life, however I was too dumb.

• Upvote 1

• Jay1 unpinned this topic