Do i even have HPPD?

okay so i once had a bad trip on cannabis and after that i felt depersonalization for 4 days or so. I didnt feel it anymore but 1 month later i felt it again and got scared and then i had a flashback back into my bad trip all of sudden

At the time i didnt know it was a flashback i didnt know what was happening to me and i was so scared. So i went home and took a nap. When i wake up i had derealization and a little dp but ky vision was like visual snow.. And a week later i got tinnitus (ALL OF SUDDEN) I was laying i bed and i could hear it comming.

So now its Almost 3 months later and i still have visual snow vision. It scares me so much cause it makes me think of the bad trip and sometimes i get a flashback again.

Some people may think this wouldnt be annoying but it really is! Is this hppd? Or not help!

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely you can trip on marijuana... Especially inexperienced users can have all kinds of mild hallucinations, mind-trips, panic attacks(!!) etc...
And not everybody is living in California or Colorado, so they'll have to buy it illegally, and you never know what kind of shit the growers/dealers put in there to raise profits... Just look up "brix" or "haze spray". The latter is said to contain synthetic cannabinoids which can have severe hallucinogenic effects.

But who knows... I have only smoked weed (regularly) and occasionally mixed weed with amphetamines (years ago) and I believe to have HPPD. Apparently, mostly eating junk food for most of my life hasn't helped, either... Also had little sleep recently because I quit pot, and a lot of stress/anxiety because of two illnesses I had recently at the same time (gastritis/peritonitis, which actually caused a panic attack because I thought I might die, which was increased by the pot, which is why I quit pot a couple days later). Now that I think of it, I definitely noticed the HPPD symptoms months earlier, while I was high, so I just thought it was me being high... The recent stress/anxiety/lack of sleep probably just made it worse/premanently noticable.

okay so i once had a bad trip on cannabis and after that i felt depersonalization for 4 days or so. I didnt feel it anymore but 1 month later i felt it again and got scared and then i had a flashback back into my bad trip all of sudden

At the time i didnt know it was a flashback i didnt know what was happening to me and i was so scared. So i went home and took a nap. When i wake up i had derealization and a little dp but ky vision was like visual snow.. And a week later i got tinnitus (ALL OF SUDDEN) I was laying i bed and i could hear it comming.

So now its Almost 3 months later and i still have visual snow vision. It scares me so much cause it makes me think of the bad trip and sometimes i get a flashback again.

Some people may think this wouldnt be annoying but it really is! Is this hppd? Or not help!

what you describe sounds exactly like dpd (depersonalization disorder (dpd) and dont worry about the name cause that doesnt mean you cant have derealization too)..but to answer your quastion..no you dont have hppd.

i know it cause i had hppd and im over it but suffer from depersonalization disorder and have only visual snow, mood swings, depression,sometimes tinitus, dp/dr and if i trigger them also panic attacks...in fact its different for everybody but look up the symptoms of dpd and you will find similarities to what you describe here. 

and flashbacks what are your flashbacks like maybe you also have hallucinogenic trauma.

i would often feel only slight sadness, anger or sometimes no emotions at all but now I can't feel emotions PERIOD. I have been told that's what depersonalization is. I always feel like my thoughts are not mine and are coming from an outside source. Is that really depersonalization ? I know I have derealization and it sucks. 

Don't focus on what to call it, for now, just focus on getting better. No drugs, eat well, exercise, meditate, de-stress.

There is a big grey area between all the different names and terms, it really doesn't matter, for now.... Your doctor is unlikely to have heard about hppd anyway, so just explain the situation and take in info about hppd, vs and dp/dr

its quite easy cause in this case he only describes very common dpd symptoms..no hppd symptoms..hppd symptoms are only visual but also intense and psychedelic..just look up dpd and you'll find the similarity to what he describes here

if it occurs that someone has permanent psychedelic visuals + visual snow, dp/dr, tinitus, etc..this one has both hppd and dpd...why is that so hard to imagine for most people..since these disturbances are well known to be often co morbid

and you can trust me i had hppd and dpd and now have only dpd and the psychedelic visuals are gone...so i know the difference <_<

I don't have any psychedelic visuals at all... Just the visual snow, floaters, DP/DR, moderate after images (especially when I close my eyes or go from bright into relatively dark places), sometimes flashes in the dark, moderate anxiety... Got my first appointment to a psychiatrist in a month, which seems like an eternity... Gonna try to get another appointment sooner... I had an intense occurence on sunday, where my left ear went completely deaf and I heard strange noises (chatter?) on the right ear... Lasted for like 2-5 seconds, after which it suddenly went away in an instant... Totally freaked me out!

hppd symptoms are only visual but also intense and psychedelic

This is nonsense. Please stop stating opinion as fact, it can be damaging and confusing to people.

The DSM description has it's faults, but it is better than some internet guess work....

"The perceptual disturbances may include geometric forms, peripheral-field images, flashes of color, intensified colors, trailing images (images left suspended in the path of a moving object as seen in stroboscopic photography), perceptions of entire objects, afterimages (a same-colored or complementary-colored "shadow" of an object remaining after the removal of the object), halos around objects, macropsia, and micropsia."

If you have one or move of the above because you took a drug, then you have some form of hppd according to the DSM, which will hold good weight with your neurologist.

Here is a link to the full DSM-IV for HPPD. (I think there is a DSM-V now, but the description is more or less unchanged)

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_health2.shtml

This is nonsense. Please stop stating opinion as fact, it can be damaging and confusing to people.

The DSM description has it's faults, but it is better than some internet guess work....

"The perceptual disturbances may include geometric forms, peripheral-field images, flashes of color, intensified colors, trailing images (images left suspended in the path of a moving object as seen in stroboscopic photography), perceptions of entire objects, afterimages (a same-colored or complementary-colored "shadow" of an object remaining after the removal of the object), halos around objects, macropsia, and micropsia."

If you have one or move of the above because you took a drug, then you have some form of hppd according to the DSM, which will hold good weight with your neurologist.

Here is a link to the full DSM-IV for HPPD. (I think there is a DSM-V now, but the description is more or less unchanged)

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_health2.shtml

man its no offense at all but how can you say its nonsense? i dont guess and what i say is not dangerous for anyone...remember what i said..''hppd symptoms are only visual but also intense and psychedelic'' and all the symptoms you listed are visual, psychedelic (thats why hppd is also called ''the never ending trip'.. even though its a bad one)..so where is the nonsense in my post?

The nonsense is telling people they do not have hppd when the DSM definition shows otherwise. You are saying you know better than a collective of doctors.

There is no mention of intensity in the DSM definition.

And it is dangerous because you have told someone they don't have hppd, when they might... they might then go to the doctors and get treated for something where the sufferers respond well to, say, SSRIs, and completely fuck the guy with hppd up.

Don't come on here and be someone's doctor... Offer your opinion, but don't dress it as a fact.

I don't think you have HPPD if visual snow is your only symptom. Everyone has visual snow, ask your family/friends etc to actually stop and look for it and they'll be able to see it. Difference is they'll be able to switch off from it because they're not anxious and don't see it as a threat, whereas you can't because you are anxious.

Tinnitus can't really be a symptom of HPPD. How can something visual cause a ringing in your ears? Most likely the tinnitus is a result of the anxiety you're suffering, it's quite a common symptom of anxiety actually. I think a lot of people have mild tinnitus to an extent. I'd try get some therapy if I was you.

The nonsense is telling people they do not have hppd when the DSM definition shows otherwise. You are saying you know better than a collective of doctors.

There is no mention of intensity in the DSM definition.

And it is dangerous because you have told someone they don't have hppd, when they might... they might then go to the doctors and get treated for something where the sufferers respond well to, say, SSRIs, and completely fuck the guy with hppd up.

Don't come on here and be someone's doctor... Offer your opinion, but don't dress it as a fact.

man you completely missunderstood what i was saying..of course there is no specific intensity in the dsm...but im not coming up like a doc for someone if i tell one he/she doesnt have hppd when he/she doesnt have any of these in the dsm occuring symptoms...since the symptoms he mentioned are derealization, tinitus, visual snow and flashbacks and are not mentioned in the dsm and even more typical for dpd (depersonalzation disorder (an anxiety disorder)) then for anything else... how could this person have hppd if he has no of the dsm symptoms but all typical symptoms of dpd?

by the way i have the same symptoms left after my hppd is over instead of the flashbacks but i had some in my acute phase...and my psychologist and all other evidence says i have dpd and i told her about all my remaining symptoms...so i had both hppd and dpd as comorbid disorders and now since my hppd is over i have dpd left..well if i cant tell the difference between these two disturbances  i dont know who could.

and what i said is not even dangerous...cause whether one has hppd, dpd or even both disturbances..this person has to take care about the same things...i mean: i shouldnt take almost any drug with hppd just as with dpd... its just not enjoyable to extremely debilitating experience...so why should one do so...i didnt ever recommend.

.. i didnt/wouldt try to send someone to hell..its not my intention ..you should know it.. 

Trip in Hell. What was your HPPD like when you had it??

it was pretty annoying, debilitating and colorous and everything was morphing and melting, i had extreme afterimages and when i was focusing at something...it started to change colour from one to another + opjects and sometimes the whole environment started to to move towards or away from me or even shrinking or growing..i had the wierdest dreams due to my closed eye visuals...it was horrable and now looking back to that tough period of time feels somehow like it was just a dream..but i swear at my worst i thought i would kill myself one day cause i thought i would stay this way forever..and i still have dpd now...after my onset i first thought it was only one illness causing all of my symptoms...but as hppd faded and i listed my remaining symptoms for my psychologist she told me that its clear that i still have dpd now + looking up the residual symptoms myself i found out they are well known for being dpd.

somehow im happy to be free of hppd but still having slight dpd is also not funny for me.

all too often the visuals drove me crazy since they were pretty intense and 24/7, they made me feel so weird, dizzy, suicidal and anxiuos ...i thought i seriously damaged my brain or something...thanks im also glad that i managed to get back to normal vision again n try my best to overcome dpd..wishing all the best to every sufferer out there..