Accepting the visuals?

Hi, I just have been thinking of a thing that for me might be the key to being easily able to live with this. And that's that fact that I've always accepted it into my life rather than being afraid and trying to push the disorder away. I would kind of like to compare it to a trip, where you just have to let go, embrace what's coming and then it will be alright rather than if you work against the drug, everything simply goes worse. 

Thoughts on this?

• Upvote 2

I agree.. The Resistance itself creates suffering.

To the best of one’s ability, accept. i.e. "It just is." attitude.

With practice a person may be able to get to a place where u can just witness ”watch" there HPPD without being so affected by it. This usually happens by building up your "threshold" for what you can handle in life. i.e. It’s happening, tho, hppd is not me, it’s just one small part of me.. Just like if someone has blue hair, they are not there blue hair, it is one small part of them. etc Its happening tho "your response" to it.. alot of the time may be the key thing.

Yes so being aware of your reactions to HPPD can be helpful. So you may be able to adopt those attitudes that are more life giving and conductive toward healing rather than fighting and getting more engrossed in it.

There are quite a few cognitive and esoteric theories and practices that endorse this type of approach. For example acceptance and commitment therapy ACT.

I suppose with time a person does adjust in some ways which can make a difference. I’m not trying to say it does not suck, tho with certain tools, approaches and attitudes I feel confident that one can likely manage things a lot more managable.

I can explain this much better in person. Sometimes it’s tricky to put down in words.

Hope this is helpful.

For a very long time I used my visuals as the benchmark to how bad my condition was. It is the first thing you notice when you wake up, so hard not to fixate.

Now I use my overall mindset as the benchmark though... Visuals might be on a spike, but if my mindset is pretty good, I don't get into a big panic anymore.

Now I use my overall mindset as the benchmark though... Visuals might be on a spike, but if my mindset is pretty good, I don't get into a big panic anymore.

Thats very helpful.

If someone can learn to master there mind set dispite what is going on.. i agree it makes a tremendous differance.

In someways that may be like.... not trying to get rid of ones "problem" tho becomeing bigger, stonger and more powerful (mindset) than the problem so its not as much of a hinderance.

I find that when im in my most possative / powerful state, thats when i enjoy life the most and possbly notice hppd less.

hey ive had hppd for..... 5, 6 months? 

was smokin weed and quit . probly never going bck. 

quitting weed and ive been meditating for like 8 months. 

i finally realize ive been burying my anxieties and now they're all coming out 

i finally "found" myself again and looked at a wall. i was like wtf is this really who i have become 

my body went into panick mode.

idk, isnt it best to meditate ? i guess its as simple as a

yes or no ?

im gonna delete this so people dont get negative vibes

i guess its best to accept hppd as a gift. 

think of it this way: 

some people are blind, get their arms amputated, all of the time. and i am sure they suffer ptsd and get to reevaluate their life and be grateful for life.

with us, we get the PTSD trauma, but we have the power to let it affect us. we didnt lose limbs. we can STILL SEE. its all about being positive. 

people around the world are dying to AIDS, etc. people are are slaves. freedom is awesome.

we get the lesson of be grateful for life, but our punishment is static or floaters etc. thats it. 

its as simple as recognizing it as, "my brain doesnt filter out these things so i know they arent real" thats not so hard.

at least we arent in Hitler's death camps. 

now that we are so grateful to be alive, be grateful for every second. share love with people. thats where true happiness is. 

its mind over matter on this one. i used to skateboard(but tore my knee). do you think someone does those tricks by being scared? no. its mind over matter on this. its just a skateboard trick. you just need to be able to turn off those anxieties in your brain, its all about building self love. i dont know about benzos, i wouldnt  try. thatst just me

green tea helps me stay collected. plus i have adhd. 

just know once u learn to live with this, youre that much stronger. 

LethargicAcid,

Keep on meditating man. Those anxieties surfacing are a good sign, means your flushing out your emotions. :)

Meditation can bring out the fore front of nasty emotions, as opposed to disengaging with hppd, it makes you come face to face with it; it makes you deal with it.

Trust me, meditation's the way to go. It may not seem like it now, but it can really help you conquer hppd in the long term. I've had it for a year and a few months, and meditating really helped me out a lot. :)

I have to like my HPPD, even though it's severe and I'm taking Levetiracetam for it. It's a part of who I am, and a lot of things has had it's evolutionary and consequential path to get to this point, which is me. If I don't accept my HPPD, or even like it, then how can I enjoy life? I think you know the answer to that. And that's the most important thing to do with any illness.

I can recommend a quite new film about Stephen Hawking and his journey through life named "The theory of everything". He is too smart to get depressed or feel sorry about himself and his illness is thousands of times worse then HPPD.

Stop feel sorry for yourselves and stop making up and try to relate all different kind of symtoms that appears or problems that comes in your life with HPPD. That's the greatest myth of our illness.

thanks for shareing!

I can recommend a quite new film about Stephen Hawking and his journey through life named "The theory of everything". He is too smart to get depressed or feel sorry about himself and his illness is thousands of times worse then HPPD.

sounds like a good movie, i will hire it :-)

China , thanks !!! helps a lot haha. And Shadowplay, thanks too! i love nerds :D albert einstein never gave up either. nikola Tesla, who invented the electrical systems in houses, AC, had his entire lab burned down with all of his lifetime of science stuff. and he didnt quit 

Hey shadow, good job accepting it!! my hppd is rather mild. 

It might be getting worse cuz of weed! is there anyone who doesnt get worse off weed seriously.. i might just put it down forever but its likeone of  my favorite thing to do, it aids my meditation plus my adhd mind races like craZ. 

yeah i am still anxious from last night's insights, i need to meditate more. 

Hey guys! anxieties are a blessing in desguise! they tell you what step to take next to become stable. human's prime instinct is to avoid pain and seek pleasure(thats why drugs like meth are addictive) . thats wat motivates us to eat. 

But maturing is all about following Passion rather than Desie/fear(thats ego). passion is long term oriented like setting goals and completing them . 

being frustrated/in pain is not a bad thing! it means that we are going thru the process to get stronger. American propoganda pressures us to have an attitude that all that matters is being happy. 

But you cant be truely happy following desires by trying to control everything. like hppd. 

its all about letting go of control. notice how the strongest  people are not smiling all the time. They arent "nice guys", or people pleasers. no they endured hardship. they arent picky

check this out, its how the NAVY SEALs are strong. the components of letting go. 

http://examinedexistence.com/how-to-be-mentally-tough-like-a-navy-seal/

i think of it this way: HPPD is like joining the military. some people are too weak, some make it through. 

if you pass the HPPD test, youre basically strong like a military person.

life is not fair. people used to die to starvation, infection, slavery, rape. This is a blessing to become hardened. the world doesnt owe us shit. just be grateful that we are the most capable beings on Earth: humans. (because of technology and intelligence)

My hppd is not too bad though, so its different degrees. 

WHenever i would tell myself, "im gonna do this in the future". when that future actually came i would think, "why the hell did i even think that was the right thing to do"... 

my point is that whenever our brain acts out of fear or desire, its the safest and most far from logical answer there is. 

so realize that the brain plays tricks on u all the time. its all about humility, knowing that you know nothing. its all about the present moment

do u guys disagree about anything i said ?

• 2 weeks later...

China , thanks !!! helps a lot haha. And Shadowplay, thanks too! i love nerds :D albert einstein never gave up either. nikola Tesla, who invented the electrical systems in houses, AC, had his entire lab burned down with all of his lifetime of science stuff. and he didnt quit 

Hey shadow, good job accepting it!! my hppd is rather mild. 

It might be getting worse cuz of weed! is there anyone who doesnt get worse off weed seriously.. i might just put it down forever but its likeone of  my favorite thing to do, it aids my meditation plus my adhd mind races like craZ. 

yeah i am still anxious from last night's insights, i need to meditate more. 

Hey guys! anxieties are a blessing in desguise! they tell you what step to take next to become stable. human's prime instinct is to avoid pain and seek pleasure(thats why drugs like meth are addictive) . thats wat motivates us to eat. 

But maturing is all about following Passion rather than Desie/fear(thats ego). passion is long term oriented like setting goals and completing them . 

being frustrated/in pain is not a bad thing! it means that we are going thru the process to get stronger. American propoganda pressures us to have an attitude that all that matters is being happy. 

But you cant be truely happy following desires by trying to control everything. like hppd. 

its all about letting go of control. notice how the strongest  people are not smiling all the time. They arent "nice guys", or people pleasers. no they endured hardship. they arent picky

check this out, its how the NAVY SEALs are strong. the components of letting go. 

http://examinedexistence.com/how-to-be-mentally-tough-like-a-navy-seal/

i think of it this way: HPPD is like joining the military. some people are too weak, some make it through. 

if you pass the HPPD test, youre basically strong like a military person.

life is not fair. people used to die to starvation, infection, slavery, rape. This is a blessing to become hardened. the world doesnt owe us shit. just be grateful that we are the most capable beings on Earth: humans. (because of technology and intelligence)

My hppd is not too bad though, so its different degrees. 

WHenever i would tell myself, "im gonna do this in the future". when that future actually came i would think, "why the hell did i even think that was the right thing to do"... 

my point is that whenever our brain acts out of fear or desire, its the safest and most far from logical answer there is. 

so realize that the brain plays tricks on u all the time. its all about humility, knowing that you know nothing. its all about the present moment

do u guys disagree about anything i said ?

Sure, you got some good points. You just have to try to achieve some kind of clarity to these theories and thought that you have been thinking about. It's very good to think about such things but sometimes if you do not feel well, or if you are under the influence of for example cannabis or alcohol, your mind can play tricks on you and you can find yourself trapped within a thinking pattern and ideas that aren't the most logical.

Share you ideas and thoughts with your friends and family, see what they think about it. Don't dwell in the past and don't plan your future, these civil structures does actually not exist.

You have and will always live in the present. That's why acceptance is very important and it's the only thing that will help you to recover and to evolve through life. If not, you will build obstacles through you life that can create psychological issues and that is far worse then the visuals symptoms.

And yes I agree with you that the human being is not a natural happy or pleasant creature. We have evolved through life and death, through pain and pleasure, through grief and happiness. We have to create our own joy. And there will always be more darkness than light. More evil than good. That's some well understood grounds in physics. But in the end of a very dark and long tunnel, there will hopefully be some light. For you and for me. And for everyone else on this forum.