I was just wondering if anyone thought there was a link between tinnitus and HPPD? Mine started at almost exactly the same time. My other HPPD symtoms are static (or visual snow?) that I see constantly, though it's particularly worse at night/in the dark. I also sometimes see outlines (or auras?) around people, they're usually always a yellowy/green. I see colours, all different ones, appearing on walls - random shapes- that then slowly fade. If I've looked at something for a while, I see the outlines even when I look away. Sometimes in my peripheral vision I see something moving.

My greatest anxiety with the HPPD is I keep thinking it's about to turn into some kind of trip and with the tinnitus I get even more nervous as with the sound and visuals it feels even more like the start of a hallucinogenic trip.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tinnitus sucks and I think it is totally misunderstood much like HPPD. Based on what doctors have told me it seems like the only difference between a normal person and someone who has tinnitus is how much they complain about it. Even if everyone's ears ring from time to time it must mean something more when it's so easy to have the notion and then have a very bad case of it for a moment but they don't seem to see it that way. Then there are the times I do get super high and when I try to do something like stand there to piss all of a sudden it hits me and I feel that if I let it overcome me I'll probably pass out or have some sort of mental explosion. So if hyper awareness is all it takes to have a tinnitus outbreak then HPPD sufferers would likely have tinnitus too. As long as I don't get high or light headed and as long as no one mentions the word I'm usually OK but technically I never stop hearing a ringing. It's all just a matter of how noticeable it is.