please dont do benzos till you've tried nac

Glutathione – Used extensively in whole body for cleaning up intermediate metabolites. As an example, this is what gets depleted in the eyes (lens) leading to cataracts. Also, this is the enzyme Tylenol can destroy causing permanent liver damage or failure.

Glutathione is made from Vitamin C, E and Selenium with cystine as the major catalyst.

So NAC is important for the recycling of glutathione. It works so well that hospitals will give it intravenously in cases of Tylenol poisoning.

As for anxiety, don’t really know. Toxicity can cause anxiety so perhaps this is a link. Maybe there is another mechanism going on. It has never had any effect on emotions for me.

Nevertheless, it is a very good supplement to take.

affects nmda receptors. However, given that the anti-anxiety effect is longer lasting than the presence in blood of nac, perhaps it is the glutathione top-up working its magic. Nac is used experimntally for cfs, ocd, schizophrenia, bipolar, and other neurotic conditions (like hair pulling).

nac pills are usually 600mg, but can be as low as 200mg. I buy powder from http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/ and take a scoop a day (about 700mg) plus an occassional big dose of 3g or so, especially if i am drinking. If you are new to nac i recommend taking 600mg at first to see if you get a detox reaction - if you do then reduce, then rebuild, your dose according to comfort up to 3g then reduce to a maintenance of 600mg or abouts plus the odd 3g top-up. I have also heard that you should take 1 to 4 times as much vit c as nac tho only as an internet factoid - i've never seen a study suggesting this. I do take vit c with it tho in case.

I used to have anxiety that felt like vertigo from height, but without being high up. Sort of felt like i needed to grab something to feel secure in my body. Open spaces - even driving on a motorway - would make it worse, as would hangovers. I have never experienced this since the day i took a big dose of nac to test it as a hangover preventative (maybe 8 pills or so over the night). Also lost a lot of brain fog and got more energy.

Also i forgot how good a 5000iu dose of vitamin d is. Really perks me up when i have unjustifyable sleepiness, or carb torpor.

Been yrs since I tried this stuff and it just made me anxious from cleansing. Going to try it again in next couple days 600mg you said, I hate taking it at night (want to sleep) I'll try it in the morning.

I take depakote and klonopin, I need to read up and make sure it doesn't wipe those med's out of my system. I'm hungover and have to go to work, wish I had some of this now :)

I wouldn't buy the powder, it tastes like crap.

ah its not so bad. Fresh powder smells acetic, while older stuff smells eggy. But the when taste dissolved in water is a bit acidic with and an aroma a bit like matches. Not too bad if fresh.

1998 - maybe 600mg is too much for you to start on if it makes you feel shite. Perhaps get a powder and start with half a 1ml scoop. Or just power thru the nasty stage - it will pass.

• 1 month later...

So this stuff has had an effect uh? Does it decrease your visuals or cancel them out entirely? How much is this stuff costing you? Cos it seems pretty steep to afford 600mg a day when its going for 24.95 for 60 x 50mg pills. Maybe im not looking properly, ill have another look for a cheaper price.

shogun, you are being ripped off (unless that price is in yen). Shop around. Mine is 100g for about £8. NAC has not affected my visuals at all, just cured my anxiety and sense of ungroundedness (sort of agrophobic vertigo), and made me clear headed. It may be a specific sort of anxiety it helps with and perhaps youll still need benzos etc for the rest, but for me it has been all ive needed to cure anxiety. I have said previously to have a big dose now and again then a maintenance dose of about 600mg or a single 1ml scoop of powder per day. I am going to go back on that. I have started taking a 1ml scoop (about 800mg) 3 times a day with meals, plus more with alcohol. This level also brings a relief to my leg fatigue and gives a general feeling of physical strength.

Oops...i was looking up actual glutathione prices...shit they're expensive. Got my wires crossed there. Ok well i hope that if i can get rid of my anxiety from this stuff then my visuals will dissipate a lot as anxiety worsens visuals for me. Plus that clear head and strength sounds good :)

Thanks Gill and Brendan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...