Temporary visual snow treatment

Can they ? :blink:

Yes, I mean it wouldn't be considered "visual snow", but with my visuals and all always changing with new and bizarre symptoms, I always ask people if they see certain things in certain ways.

In almost pitch black, I was seeing a lot of static, and asked my brother if he saw it.

He said he totally could, he hasn't ever taken a psychedelic.

• Upvote 1

I have already tried this, but I haven't posted it on here because I'm afraid that it would make other people's HPPD worse, but I'll explain my story, theories and experiences with this now that it's been posted.

Backstory
Sometimes when I'm not doing anything special I start to notice the HPPD, and I've read from countless sources on the internet that the best way to handle it is to ignore it. But the thing they don't answer is "Why?", either they mean that because of mental health, to prevent you from feeling bad because of it, or they mean that it helps it go away, because "Normal people" don't have HPPD because they don't stare into the static in their vision all day long.

But sometimes it just feels right to stare into the HPPD, or more exactly; Wrong to try to forcefully ignore it.

Theory for the cause of HPPD
Most or all of you who have had a good psychedelic trip can probably recall having "HD Vision", and my theory for that is because the world in a psychedelic trip becomes much more detailed and interesting, therefore making you put a higher focus on the beauty that surrounds you rather than your internal self, I.E Your thoughts, Stress, Fears etc.

BUT it's the COMPLETE opposite in a bad trip, in a bad trip you lose contact with reality. Because of fear, stress or pure insanity you're putting so much focus on either your thoughts or the hallucinations that are around you, that you forget that the hallucinations are not reality, but a product of your own thoughts and feelings. And after prolonged exposure to these extreme amounts of stress eventually causing tinnitus and HPPD to trigger. (The same way a psychedelic flashback temporarily induces "HPPD")

This also explains why most reported cases of HPPD were caused by a bad trip.

Theories for the cure of HPPD
And I have come up with 2 opposing theories about how to directly help the brain heal itself from HPPD:

Theory 1:

The first theory is that if you stare into the static, the brain eventually gets used to seeing the static and sends it into "The subconscious" from whence it came, and in exactly the same way as meditation works, as many meditation techniques put a high emphasis on visualizing colors, patterns and pictures during meditation, as this helps you appreciate the beauty of the outside world once you open your eyes again. (This is known to spiritualists as "Third eye" activation.)
And seeing something beautiful is the only thing I know which removes HPPD.

My general theory of what's happening once you look at this video is that you first stare into something "Ugly" like static, and then when you look back at reality you notice how beautiful the world is in comparison to a monitor showing static, giving you perspective on the relativity of beauty, helping you appreciate reality for what it is, releasing and promoting a healthy seratonergic system and reversing the damages caused by inappropriate use of seratonergic drugs such as LSD/Psilocybin Mushrooms and MDMA.

Theory 2:

The second theory is in complete opposite of the first one, (and the reason why I didn't dare posting a video of static here)
This theory is that if you stare into the static your brain gets used to seeing static, but instead of sending it into the subconscious it keeps it conscious, meaning that the more you stare into it the more you are damaging an already severe wound, making it less likely it is that it will ever go away.
Meaning that the best way to treat HPPD is by NOT looking at it.

Worth noting to all HPPD and Visual Snow sufferers is that EVERYONE has to a slight degree some form of static or "Hallucinogenic" vision on Black or White surfaces. The difference is that HPPD and Visual Snow sufferers have it to MUCH larger degree, making you see in it almost no matter what light condition or surface you are looking on.

Conclusion

Since I'm not a brain scientist I cannot answer which of these theories is correct, one is yin the other is yang and they both probably have some form of truth in them, and I'm probably going to experiment a bit with this to see if I can find a balance between the 2.

BUT there is one thing that is for certain:
Learn to appreciate the world around you, beauty is not only the probable cure for HPPD, but also the probable cure for Stress, Depression, DP/DR.

Go outside into nature, it has SO many benefits for your mental and physical health that it's impossible to even predict what good it may bring you in the future, there is nothing to lose from it.
Note: Don't fall down heights, fight dangerous animals or let trees, stones or any other kind of heavy object you may find in nature fall on you. Have a nice day.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow I forgot what "clean" vision looked like.  Amazing!  And a little heartbreaking :(

Man I can't stop doing this.  I'm so used to movement in my vision that objects look "frozen"... like they're on pause.  So freaking cool.  Kind of creepy too.

Man I want my life back!

yes i noticed it appeared frozen, it really shocked me but in a good way. miss having normal vision but maybe we'll get it back one day :)

• Upvote 1

Damn that video makes me trip out. You see the patterns so easy after a while it's scary. That's the only symptom that isn't severe for me though, the visual snow doesn't interfere with me. Just at nights, when it turns into strong CEV:s. It has been lessened with Keppra though. The CEV:s that is.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...