Clinical Characteristics of Individuals with Schizophrenia and HPPD: A Preliminary Investigation

I was just checking to see whether there were any new articles on HPPD. Aside from some entheogen paper claiming HPPD is synonymous to flashbacks (which was also a 2014 paper.. sigh), this is what I could find:

Objective: An unusual side effect of hallucinogen use is the appearance of hallucinogen persisting perception disorder (HPPD). Despite high rates of prior hallucinogen use among individuals with schizophrenia, there is insufficient data on the clinical characteristics of individuals suffering from co-occurring schizophrenia and HPPD.

Methods: Twenty-six hospitalized patients with schizophrenia and prior LSD use (12 with HPPD and 14 without HPPD), were recruited. Participants were clinically assessed using validated tools and details regarding hospitalizations were retrieved from their medical records. Those patients who also had HPPD completed a questionnaire addressing HPPD-associated perceptual disturbances.

Results: Participants were mostly male (n = 22, 84.6%) and had an average age of 32.3 (SD = 7.67). Nearly half (n = 12, 46.2%) met criteria for HPPD. No significant differences were found in sociodemographic and clinical characteristics (including response to anti-psychotic medications and adverse effects) between the groups. Nine individuals (75%) in the schizophrenia and HPPD group reported the ability to identify specific precursory cues for the appearance of the HPPD-associated perceptual distortions, and 8 (67%) reported the ability to distinguish HPPD perceptual disturbances from those associated with their psychotic disorder.

Conclusions: Very little is known about the co-occurrence of schizophrenia and HPPD, or the clinical implications associated with it. Further research is needed to understand the clinical impact of this comorbidity.

source

I'll try to get the full article later.

• Upvote 1