Questions

Hello and thanks for your time. I'm a 19yr old male. Near the start of last month, I got a hold of 5 hits of lsd. This would be the second time I would be dropping acid, having done 1 tab a few months earlier. The acid I got was in sugar cube form, and since there was lots of contradictory advice on how to store it, I decided I would just do it all in one month and took the acid over 3 weekends (1, 1, 3). 3 weeks later, I am now noticing visual snow in the top third of my vision. As far as I can tell, this is my only symptom. My questions are however: Is there a possibility for it to get worse? It is not currently distracting and even if it were to stay as it is for the rest of my life, I could definitely deal with it. My other question is: Is it possible more symptoms will arise in the future? I read that there is a latency between the last use and when symptoms can occur. Is there an established time in which I will be 'in the clear' in terms of more symptoms?

Thanks for your time. I shouldn't think I'll do LSD again (but I guess that goes without saying!)

I don't think anyone can really answer this clearly, reason being is people symptoms can develop differently than others, some had symptoms right after tripping and they never went away, where as I have no idea what caused mine as they slowly built up over time.

If they aren't affecting your life and they aren't worrying you then you should just ignore them and get back on with your life because most people will say that thinking about them can make them worse (If only a lot of us knew this from the start)

But with regards to HPPD I don't think you have it in the true sense, I have read of many people getting simalir HPPD like symptoms and after abstinence from psychadelics there symptoms dissapeared after a few weeks or months. So my advice would be to stop all psychadelics, even stop smoking cannabis if you do and just don't think about HPPD and get back on nwith your life and chances are your symptoms will just fade.

Good luck!

Yes- they can get worse. With my case I noticed the visual snow very early on. As my stress/anxiety continued the rest of the HPPD symptoms rolled out. Don't play russian roulette with your health. You are probably okay. Do what joe said - ride it out see if it gets worst.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I think my visual snow is gone, or at least not noticeable anymore. The only thing bothering me now is a few small round floaters, but I've noticed floaters all my life so I don't know if they got worse or I'm just stressing out about them. They're definitely not as distracting and I only really notice them when I'm unoccupied. I'm gonna wait another month and see how things go!

Feel lucky that you do not have the dissociative problems that some have. I think most will say that dissociation is a psychological response from seeing the visuals but i believe it's a malfunctioning in specific areas of the serotonin system. My reasoning for believing this is because there are plenty of chemicals that induce states of dissociation. Salvia and...DMT (Is that the right one) are the first 2 that come to mind.

• 2 months later...

Another update for everyone: My symptoms have gotten a little worse. Visual snow, increased afterimages and floaters are now pretty noticeable. I still don't have any other hallucinative symptoms such as patterns or changing colors, though. I think I'm going to wait several more months, but I'm definitely thinking of treatment through medication. If that is the case, how should I proceed? I've read a lot that states doctors aren't aware of this issue and might be dismissive of my symptoms. I've also had some 'dry eye' symptoms lately, but it could be unrelated.

I've kept drug free since September 25th and haven't even had any alcohol since then (not really an outgoing person in the first place so it wasn't a problem). I've also stopped drinking caffeine including soft drinks like pepsi (is this even nessassary?).

Thanks, everyone.

Another update for everyone: My symptoms have gotten a little worse. Visual snow, increased afterimages and floaters are now pretty noticeable. I still don't have any other hallucinative symptoms such as patterns or changing colors, though. I think I'm going to wait several more months, but I'm definitely thinking of treatment through medication. If that is the case, how should I proceed? I've read a lot that states doctors aren't aware of this issue and might be dismissive of my symptoms. I've also had some 'dry eye' symptoms lately, but it could be unrelated.

I've kept drug free since September 25th and haven't even had any alcohol since then (not really an outgoing person in the first place so it wasn't a problem). I've also stopped drinking caffeine including soft drinks like pepsi (is this even nessassary?).

Thanks, everyone.

Sorry to here it has got worse but that may be temporary. Caffeine does negatively affect some people. I gave it up years ago but once in a while have some and it affects me badly.

The first treatment is usually klonopin and helps some to an extent. You can correspond with Dr. Abraham, who researchd hppd and coined the phrase and brought it to the attention of the medical community and has written several papers on it. Go to his website www.drabraham.com

Keep positive and update your condition.

Take care of yourself in all ways.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. Most symptoms have stayed the same except for a new symptom, which I've found out are called 'starbursts'. Basically really bright lights when in dark rooms or on a sunny day. They're a lot worse when I'm wearing my glasses, so it's nice to be able to turn them off, so to speak. I've also been experiencing some dull neck pain over the past few days, but I hope that's just due to some bad posture when reading over the past month or so. It sort of feels like a bubble in my neck that I keep hoping to 'pop' when moving my neck around. Anyway, I dipped into a bad point a few days were I was really getting stressed over the symptoms, but mostly I can deal with any visual disturbance just fine. My only concern is physical or mental symptoms. Anyway, I actually start college tomorrow so I'm hoping I can finally get something else to focus on!

David

are you having head pressure?

I'm not sure. I was laying in bed the other night wearing headphones and they did seem to have more pressure in the ears than usual, but that seems to be gone today.

Guest rand haynes caruso

Just an update: I think my visual snow is gone, or at least not noticeable anymore. The only thing bothering me now is a few small round floaters, but I've noticed floaters all my life so I don't know if they got worse or I'm just stressing out about them. They're definitely not as distracting and I only really notice them when I'm unoccupied. I'm gonna wait another month and see how things go!

The floater could be tiny harmless eye parasites. youre gonna be fine kid. next time take one or two

Guest rand haynes caruso

Thanks, everyone.

not necessary but helpful from what ive heard. hey let me ask you something kid: have you had any neck pain? or muscle pain of any kind? Mine started the same day as my hppd so im askin a tom of people the same question

What does it mean if you are? Like--BAD

Can't say if is bad in a dangerous way. Doesn't seem to be from all people who reported having it over the years I have heard from them. It seem that is only a symptom of HPPD that some people have and others don't. This true of other symptoms of HPPD.

• 1 month later...

Swarm,

I want to say a few things not yet mentioned:

1) Avoid Marijuana. Many individuals with minor symptoms will have symptoms exacerbated twicefold and it is a permanent change. I am one of those cases.

2) Unfortunately, there is not "out of the clear" time. During this time, while you are working on managing the symptoms you do have, if you develop a way to accept them you will reduce stress over your vision and consequently reduce the odds of having a stress-induced increase in symptoms.

I wish you the best, and it sounds like you are making good choices about your future.

Best wishes,

David