Going to give Keppra a trial

Sorry to jack the thread, but I didn't want to start an almost identical one while this one was still active.

My DP/DR symptoms are the worst they've ever been... so bad so I've had to dip into my Xanax stash (which I normally only take for panic attacks) to make due. I'm really scared I won't get any better, and have considered giving Keppra a try as well. I don't know if my GP will be onboard though, and my "neurologist" who was a dismissive flake when I went in for my my blood work/ MRI /EEG a few months ago had never even heard of HPPD.

My main question is: is this something I'll have to stay on indefinetly or will I be able to take it for a few months and get off of it? I really don't want to add another med to my roster (currently only on a small dose of Lexapro and Klonopin and some multivitamins), but I don't know what else to do. Living this way is hell. I don't mind the visual symptoms but the brain fog and DP/DR stuff is way too intense. Any input would be appreciated.

Also: has anyone gotten worse from taking this drug?

Thanks,

Seth

Sorry to jack the thread, but I didn't want to start an almost identical one while this one was still active.

My DP/DR symptoms are the worst they've ever been... so bad so I've had to dip into my Xanax stash (which I normally only take for panic attacks) to make due. I'm really scared I won't get any better, and have considered giving Keppra a try as well. I don't know if my GP will be onboard though, and my "neurologist" who was a dismissive flake when I went in for my my blood work/ MRI /EEG a few months ago had never even heard of HPPD.

My main question is: is this something I'll have to stay on indefinetly or will I be able to take it for a few months and get off of it? I really don't want to add another med to my roster (currently only on a small dose of Lexapro and Klonopin and some multivitamins), but I don't know what else to do. Living this way is hell. I don't mind the visual symptoms but the brain fog and DP/DR stuff is way too intense. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Seth

Keppra is not a instant fix like klonopin, it takes time to help, if at all. However, so far it seems like you find it fairly quickly based on some people here on the boards. Also, it's something you will need to take for a while, according to Merkan, his visuals return upon lowering doses back. Are you new to HPPD and Dp/Dr, if so I'd be cautious with your benzo intake. Attemp refocusing techniques, get out and exercise. I can't stress that enough, run- as far as you can and when you're done you'll be much to tired to worry too much about HPPD. This can help you cut back on benzos. Time will ease the anxiety which likely is fueling your DP/DR issues. Once you can control those you'll hopefully see a reduction. And you don't want to be relying heavily on benzos down the road. Or as mentioned before, you'll be dealing with withdraws and forced to deal with HPPD then, tough situation. Keppra is a worthy trial if you can manage to get it. Follow closely with a doctor and taper up gradually.

Thanks,

Seth

Yeah, when I tried it, it slowed my thinking way too much. It also me physically weak/tired all the time.

I think the stuff can be overkill. Maybe a small part of the brain is over-active with HPPD. So then you're taking something that can effect the whole brain just to get to one area. Not too efficient.

If the stuff helps, go for it, but it's all going to depend on your situation. I don't think it will be helping much if you're a mathematician or bodybuilder though if you know what i'm saying......

Yeah, getting it may be an issue, although my GP is basically a doc-in-the-box and doesn't really remember me or my situation most of the times I go in there. Maybe that will work in my favor... maybe not.

I've had HPPD for 6-8 years, can't remember exactly. The DP/DR stuff is a fairly new development, only in the last year or two. I think a bout of panic attacks I had might have triggered it. The HPPD I can handle, but the depersonalization is hard.

I just wondered if Keppra was something I could try for a while and get off of and would have lasting positive effects (I think I remember reading that here) or if it was something I'd have to stay on. If it has made anyone worse is also a concern. I"m very sensitive to anything I put into my body, like most people with these issues, and I don't want to take anything that will eliminate the possibility of me being able to support myself.

As far as the klonopin goes I can't really function without it, and I take anywhere from .25 to .75 mg daily, so as I said a pretty small dose. Klonopin and Lexapro seem to be the two meds I need to hold a job and function in the world, and I'm OK with that. I just don't want to bother with Keppra if it's something I will have to take indefinetly.

I agree with gill to a certain point. The thing is that i actually feel smarter (?) in many ways. I just do practical and theoretical things in school and i understand them instantaneously. Now, i have ADD so it might be that my brain is being "slowed down" or "putting the lid on" as my doc said. One thing that is not that great that comes from Keppra is that it does not help with libido (not just sexuality but any drive to do things that are nor necessary) to a certain point. Maybe a DA will help, thats what i am going to try next cuz my libido was low before ever starting Keppra. So Keppra cleared up my visuals, somewhat made me smarter but did not help my emotional drive.

Trial and error, Trial and error.

Well I'd say it helped with my attention to a point, I was less likely to zone out into my thoughts, and more focused on what was around me. So, if you have DP/DR, this might be a benefit. It's just that when it came to more abstract thinking, this is where things slowed down...

When you say abstract you might say something that i have not thought about. Maybe you are right, i m not as ""deae" as i used to. Cannot really say i miss it but i do miss the emotional part, which i cannot say for sure is keppra-related. I'll need to get back to you on that.

I can however see that it could be an issue for some since a-z meds are prescribed to bipolar patients

Yeah, when I tried it, it slowed my thinking way too much. It also me physically weak/tired all the time.

I think the stuff can be overkill. Maybe a small part of the brain is over-active with HPPD. So then you're taking something that can effect the whole brain just to get to one area. Not too efficient.

If the stuff helps, go for it, but it's all going to depend on your situation. I don't think it will be helping much if you're a mathematician or bodybuilder though if you know what i'm saying......

Gill how long were you on it?

I've noticed weakness and tiredness. But I find as long as i eat alot before taking the medications I'm not as zoned out and tired. As well as making sure to supplement b6 as helped I believe.

I take it 3x a day and spread it out which also is supposed to reduce some side effects.

Also, agree with Merkan emotional slightly blunted. But no worse than Dp/Dr. And I often get lazy and don't feel like doing things, I attribute to the medication although the longer im on it the more I feel like this is just me getting used to the medication.

I have noted that I think i'm slightly smarter with it. I don't have to reread a long sentence 12 times to understand what it means. Which is nice, I don't forget what I'm trying to say midsentence as often and I can recall words i want to use more quickly. Although, when I don't eat and take the medication sometimes I feel out of it a bit.

I write a lot of music(lyrics, guitars, drums), I suppose you could consider it slightly abstract as just make something out of nothing basically. I feel like my writing hasn't really been effected that much. Which is one issue I was reall worried about alot.

Think alot of it depends on the person, the dosage, supplements, eating and personal environment. I think the ketogenic is a good diet to supplement with the medication.

Gill how long were you on it?

I've noticed weakness and tiredness. But I find as long as i eat alot before taking the medications I'm not as zoned out and tired. As well as making sure to supplement b6 as helped I believe.

Actually i have always taken it 30 mins before meals just to make sure it hits hard (bad habit, from previous drug use, i know) I have never tried taking it with food, i 'll definitely start that. Maybe the B6 would help as well

Actually i have always taken it 30 mins before meals just to make sure it hits hard (bad habit, from previous drug use, i know) I have never tried taking it with food, i 'll definitely start that. Maybe the B6 would help as well

Haha, that's funny, ya I remember that old habit... . Seems like a lifetime ago when I was ignorantly free from the grasp of hppd and experiementing with drugs. I want to avoid irritating stomach issues now so I just make sure I eat something. I feel better when i do at least.

Going to hop up to 1000mg this week. the jump from 500-750 was easier than from 250-500. Strange.

HUGE difference if i eat something before. I dont get hit in the head when i take it, i feel so much better, thx for the advice.

Haha, that's funny, ya I remember that old habit... . Seems like a lifetime ago when I was ignorantly free from the grasp of hppd and experiementing with drugs. I want to avoid irritating stomach issues now so I just make sure I eat something. I feel better when i do at least.

Going to hop up to 1000mg this week. the jump from 500-750 was easier than from 250-500. Strange.