Disability

My Phychiatrist I've had for yrs said she would back me up for disability due to extreme anxiety and bi/polar. What do I do next? I Never mentioned hppd so I guess I look for a lawyer who only works on cases they can gain a percentage out of. Then just throw paper work at them like lucid said. Usually you get denied atleast twice my doc said.....and by then they may not have disability???

Don't know anyways tomorrow looking for a lawyer I've worked my ass off for yrs w/ hppd, and I know so many ppl w/ disabilty because they're depressed. Give me a break fucking work out and stop eating so much this hppd is borderline suicide! I better win or fuck the world

In case you don't get it (I don't understand US law) Is there some way you can freelance from home (or change career where you can work from home)?..... It is a godsend for m.

Good luck mate

My Phychiatrist I've had for yrs said she would back me up for disability due to extreme anxiety and bi/polar. What do I do next? I Never mentioned hppd so I guess I look for a lawyer who only works on cases they can gain a percentage out of. Then just throw paper work at them like lucid said. Usually you get denied atleast twice my doc said.....and by then they may not have disability???

Don't know anyways tomorrow looking for a lawyer I've worked my ass off for yrs w/ hppd, and I know so many ppl w/ disabilty because they're depressed. Give me a break fucking work out and stop eating so much this hppd is borderline suicide! I better win or fuck the world

You’ve passed the biggest hurdle – doctors who will stand behind you.

Assuming you are in the USA,

There are 2 disability ‘levels’ – SSD which is based on your recent (10 years) work history and SSI which is if your total income (including what you would get from SSD) is below poverty level ($791 ???)

The application is the same. Use a lawyer. In New York they are awarded 25% of your back payments (not future) and are only paid if they win. Also, suggest using a ‘greedy cut-throat’ lawyer – this isn’t the best place for a nice, personable, everybody’s-friend type guy (this is just a personal opinion). Perhaps your psychiatrist has suggestions here.

Social Security will probably send you to some of their doctors for additional ‘exams’. You will probably be denied initially, depending on medical evidence. It takes 2-5 years to win a case – so get the ball rolling now.

If you happen to get well by then, thank god and kiss the ground. But again, get it all started.

As a rule, they don’t care what you have got or why. They want proof that your ‘residual physical and mental capacities’ prevent you from working full-time or making $1000 / month.

Please note: One doctor recently told me that there has developed a ‘cottage industry’ of disability doctors. So was advised to video tape any examination – you have the legal right to do so. And take someone with you as well. The biggest problem is Workman’s Comp and the like.

Hope this helps…

Jay, I've lowered my standards and I'm trying everything I can, the economy just aweful. I'll keep looking for employment while pushing for this disability. I don't want to be somebody just sitting at my house all day collecting money off the gov. I enjoy work and being busy especially cause keeping your mind occupied is the best medicine I've found for hppd.

Visual, thx for that detailed response. I couldn't of asked for a better answer ;)

I just got on SSDI this year. The time from application to receiving my first check was 4 months.

Yes, get a lawyer. The amount they get is 25% of your back pay, but it is limited to $6000. Once they decide the date of your disability, then they throw out the next five months to calculate when your benefits begin. You get a check for that period, and SS deducts the lawyer's portion and sends it to him/her. You may also have to pay any other expenses (like a consultation with another doctor or something).

Once you've applied, you'll be sent a package of questionnaires. You fill them out and send them to your lawyer, he/she approves them or suggests changes/corrections and then they're sent to the Division of Disability Services in your state. Then an exam might be scheduled. Mine was at an exam-mill (a place that does only these exams, they bring in doctors, the doctor I saw was actually a pediatrician, she probably does these exams one day a week to supplement her own practice). It was about 30 minutes.

It was all pretty simple and painless. The hardest part was admitting that I should do it.

Hope this helps,

Polly

Hope you get it, 1998!

I've been thinking about applying for disability (called sjukpension in Sweden). I'm currently on what might be explained as time-limited pension, which has to be re-applied every now and then. Not very safe! Sjukpension (roughly translated to sick-pension) is life-long and cannot be questioned in the same way. Since my health is so bad that I barely can manage buying food for myself, hang out with people and even walking short distances, I have admitted to myself that applying for disability might be the best and most realistic option. I'm 99% sure that I'll never be able to have a full-time job again (no improvement for 5 years, my conditions seem to be of the permanent type). Besides, I will get a lot more rights if I get disability, now I have a risk of being stripped of my pension-income and sent to the unemployment office with only social welfare checks to survive (barely) on. So disability is a lot safer.

But it seems to be very likely, from reading the posts here, that I'll get a negative answer. I would really need a lawyer, but they are darn expensive in Sweden.

Like you said, Polly, the hardest part is admitting to oneself that you need to get disability. When I first got all the conditions that I still have, I had a lot of hope for coming back to health and a "normal" life again. Now, 5 years later, I know it won't happen. Disability is the best option for me. It's my lot in life, and I'll just have to accept it fully.