People's locations and their doctors

Tired of seeing a lot of people not getting the help they want/need. I don't know if it is against rules or shouldn't be done but was wondering if we could post our locations and Doctors/Psychiatrist etc. etc. names and locations that have helped us out to give people on here struggling to get help a hand if they happen to be in that location. It would be better for people to get help this way rather then ordering the stuff online or wherever. Just a thought, was tough for me to find the right Doctor and took years but I got a great one now and wish everyone could have a great Doctor.

Thank you

• Upvote 7

I've pinned this topic and changed the title (hope you don't mind), could be a very useful thread.

I have a great neuro in Portimao, Portugal who understands hppd and has been treating flashback victims since the 80s (pre-hppd).

PM me for details.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here in Turkey, I don't think that anyone knows much about hppd.

I've been seeing a psychiatrist in Istanbul. She didn't know about hppd before I told her a month ago, but I have been hppd free for the last six months thanks to her wonderful insights.

What were those insights? :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello I live in Seattle, WA. I have had little help from hospitals, doctors, and psychiatrists so far in the last two years i have had hppd and really would appreciate any info on any doctors/psychiatrists that understand hppd or that will at least prescribe me keppra for I have heard that works well. I am willing to travel far, even to the east coast if I really have to. My main objective is to get better and would appreciate any info please. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just saw a psychiatrist for the first time today and my results were great. I was diagnosed with hppd without having to tell him what it was. He said he would be willing to do some research into some medications. I suggested keppra and he said that I could do keppra but he would prefer it if I tried lamotrigine first. I guess because he doesn't think the side effects are as bad. I live in Utah and am seeing a psych through the university of utah (in Salt Lake City). His name is Dr. Matt Moench.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Gothenburg, Sweden. All doctors are half-wits when it comes to HPPD here. Not to mention psychiatry in general, which is stuck in the 50's. They still use electroshock theraphy and primitive drugs like phentiazines. It's also infamous as the "benzo-coast" a fitting term since here on the West Coast most doctors seem to have a nasty love for prescribing benzos as a universal fix for everything, resulting in the highest proportion of benzo addicts in the whole of Sweden..

If you have HPPD and/or psychiatric problems, avoid Sweden and in particular Gothenburg!!

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Gothenburg, Sweden. All doctors are half-wits when it comes to HPPD here. Not to mention psychiatry in general, which is stuck in the 50's. They still use electroshock theraphy and primitive drugs like phentiazines. It's also infamous as the "benzo-coast" a fitting term since here on the West Coast most doctors seem to have a nasty love for prescribing benzos as a universal fix for everything, resulting in the highest proportion of benzo addicts in the whole of Sweden..

If you have HPPD and/or psychiatric problems, avoid Sweden and in particular Gothenburg!!

I feel you! I used to live in Gothenburg, still stuck in Sweden though and I doubt that the east coast will help me better. I rather not go through the benzo way of dealing with it though, but I guess that's usually how it goes for the anxiety that sometimes comes with HPPD. Does your meds help you with your visuals? As I'm quite a new guy when it comes to this illness so any "swedish" tips or shortcuts would be much appreciated, as I reckon you had it for a while.

Maybe a few electroshocks here and there could get useful so we all can end up like Roky Erickson with his mom and a hell lots of distorted noise in the background to disturb our visuals.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shadowplay!

I've had HPPD for almost 9 years now, and I've been through many examinations and medications so far. Maybe I can make a list soon..

Anyway, my current meds are the best so far. Which are Keppra, Wellbutrin, Concerta and Zolpidem.

Keppra lowers some visuals a bit but nothing miraculous really.. However, they keep a steady baseline on the visuals. Keppra is the main reason why I can use Concerta (Methylphenidate), which is infamous for aggrevating HPPD. But there's not been any flare ups at all. I need CNS stimulants because of my ADHD, to keep the aggression in check.

So in short, Keppra helps against the visuals, indeed. But only like 5-10% reduction, but 95% stabilization of visuals atleast.

Also, some benzos like Ativan in particular can reduce visuals temporarily, but you know how benzos work in the long run.. Messes up the problems you tried to alleviate like 10 times more, including addiction and withdrawal from hell! Not worth it in other words..

Regarding getting diagnosed and getting proper help from doctors, it's an struggle which requires persistance and patience.

Sorry to say, but doctors in Sweden are in majority incompetent, arrogant and neglecting. Very, very few are caring about their patients and profession.

The only ones who had any knowledge that there was such a thing as persisting visuals from hallucinogens are the Narcotic Policlinic in Gothenburg, since they've had a couple of people which had it, but they didn't know that it's an neurological disorder called HPPD. Actually, they refer to it as "persisting flashbacks" as if it was some kind of psychological trauma!

Actually, I got my help from an unexpected way, a supervisor doctor (överläkare) in Neuropsychiatry who diagnosed me with my ADHD/ very mild autism, also diagnosed me with HPPD, through a whole lot of neurological exams and consultation.

He always read a copious amount of research and had an expertise beyond any other doctor.

The likelihood that you might meet such a doctor is very slim, I had this guy for a couple of months in a period of almost 9 years in total..

But keep demanding and nagging until you get a doctor who really wants to help you and listens to you, according to the law you have the right to get proper care and switch doctors if you're not happy with them.

Try to get an remittation to the Lund or Uppsala university hospitals QEEG tests, since ONLY these machines can see the very small differences in brain activity which HPPD is. Regular EEG's don't show anything. It's hard to get a remittation in these days of constant budget cuts in health care, keep demanding!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I live in Sweden. Looking for a doctor who knows what this is and don't just dismiss it as stress. Now on my 4th year with hppd and no doctor id taking me for real.

I got serious help after 3-4 months of bad HPPD. What have you done so far? Make sure that you do a sleep-EEG or QEEG, PET-scan [18F]-FDG PET preferably. When the doctors see your abnormal spikes they will take it more serious. In Sweden you have all the right in the world to proceed with medical care until you got a diagnosis or the best treatable way for your illness. But you might have to fight for it and go through a lot of ignorant doctors. I wouldn't advise bringing up the fact that you took drugs and now got this problem. That will unfortunately not help in your situation.