Fasting to cure HPPD

brickhouse50

Please reference thread http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/688613-Fasting-to-cure-HPPD

Hello folks.

I've been suffering from mild HPPD for a few years now (snow, perceptual distortions, "sometimes feels like I'm starting to trip"). I've been fasting intermittently lately to attack other problems (mental fog and stress mainly). But as a side effect, I also noticed that it makes the HPPD symptoms disappear, in as little as a few days.

One thing I've noticed that really makes the symptoms go away fast is fasting (as in, caloric restriction of food). In fact, fasting is even purported to cure schizophrenics

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1974/pdf/1974-v03n04-p301.pdf

Fasting is known to be incredibly effective for improving the brain:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20534972/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-brain-function/

Fasting may even help restore the brain from other forms of drug abuse.

Give it a shot and let me know what you guys think.

I did an 11 day water fast, and I have not had any symptoms of HPPD since, and actually totally forgot about being bothered by it earlier :P

I think overeating wrecks your brain simply because it causes dopamine to be released, and your current neuronal state (of which if you have HPPD, has some kinks) to be reinforced. When you stop eating, AS I UNDERSTAND IT, your brain starts falling back to more previous, earlier versions of neuronal states and networks (healthier ones BEFORE YOU HAD HPPD), in an attempt to "remember" where food was/could have been (and that's why your dreams become so vivid... your brain is deconstructing the less beneficial "HPPD-tainted" neuronal connections and reactivating/reinforcing your older HPPD-less connections. I support my theory by presenting the following article (and all others on fasting seem to be similar): http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/feb/18/fasting-protect-brain-diseases-scientists

"When resources became scarce, our ancestors would have had to scrounge for food," said Mattson. "Those whose brains responded best – who remembered where promising sources could be found or recalled how to avoid predators — would have been the ones who got the food. Thus a mechanism linking periods of starvation to neural growth would have evolved."

"The cells of the brain are put under mild stress that is analogous to the effects of exercise on muscle cells," said Mattson. "The overall effect is beneficial."

• Upvote 15

i did a water fast for 5 days, and felt lighter after it, but it didnt affect my hppd.  I have a semi fasting routine now, ie not eating much all day (a few bits of fruit, tea and coffee, maybe a salad or oat buscuits), then big meal around 6-7pm.  Eating makes me a bit groggy so fasting helps keep me sharp, plus its meant to be good for health.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, i eat the ketogenic diet which is used to put your body in a mode where you switch from using Carbohydrates as fuel and instead use ketones from fat. It has really improved my HPPD and what it does is that it makes your brain think that you are starving (well, not really) though you can eat the same amount of calories as long as you do it from fat and proteines.

Actually, everyone starts to go into ketogenic state bedore breakfast.

So i am not sure if fasting will cure it but i have no doubt that TS are getting improved symptoms.

Yes, you can fast and it could improve your HPPD but you can also eat ketogenic diets and not go hungry. The later is recommended to those who wanna try it for a longer period (or for life, as I)

i dont think carb restriction is the same as full fasting - i think you need to stop protein intake too.  Perhaps fast with pure coconut oil and water if you want some energy.  I dont know what benefits or otherwise occur from micronutrient restriction.  Some fasters supplement with electrolytes i seem to remember.

i dont think carb restriction is the same as full fasting - i think you need to stop protein intake too.  Perhaps fast with pure coconut oil and water if you want some energy.  I dont know what benefits or otherwise occur from micronutrient restriction.  Some fasters supplement with electrolytes i seem to remember.

Yrs, you are right. Proteinet producera some glucose. Good point

• 2 weeks later...

Extended fasting has cured treatment resistant Schizophrenia in Russia; but they fast for like 30-60 days with just mineral water and epsom salt baths, then after slowly add foods with progressing weeks, and there after fast like once a month for 3-5 days, then after awhile once every other month, and so on. I plan on trying this in the future.

I'm going to be going back to ketosis, but with an emphais on saturated and mono-unsaturated fats in particular; I'll post about why it would be wise to avoid unsaturated fats (including o3's), especially in ketosis, when I make an update post. I'd look into Dr. Broda Barnes' material, too, along with Dr. Jan Kwasniewski. Coconut oil and milk, mct oil, caprylic acid (oil), leucine and lysine, ketone salts and esters, 2-deoxy glucose, butanediol, and other compounds promote ketogenesis despite carb intake. All those, plus fasting, can be used to generate beta hydroxybutyrate without eating like 0-30g/carbs/day.