Puppeteer's Progress Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, to be honest it felt a lot as though nobody was reading it, it got a bit dull to be so perpetually ruminating on it, and so on. I started a Tumblr and have kept myself pretty distracted through that!

Anyhow, I've unfortunately not been great at determining whether much has happened with the supplements. Given how gradually some of them start to take effect and how subtle the changes would be, my general difficult perceiving changes in my mental experience and rather shocking memory haven't enabled me to go "yeah wow x is definitely happening and I can attribute that to y"; perhaps if I were more careful and put more effort into keeping a diary but the motivation for careful monitoring (let alone much else) just isn't there :( sorry I'm not much use. My approach instead has been to note if anything negative has happened since starting certain things, trying to determine if that's persistent and not caused by anything else (i.e. oversleeping/undersleeping, another supp.) and definitely wasn't part of my cognition prior to starting (which my memory and a fairly uneventful day-to-day life make tricky), then removing the likely culprit.

Anyhow, I'm taking a less-is-more approach presently: after aniracetam and ALCAR failed to produce any noticeable improvement and a definite unease/mental discomfort I gave them a rest, and the same with rhodiola. I've also since tapered completely off Cymbalta. Adrafinil is definitely a positive-feeling thing but I've only tried it a few times as I'm wary of excessive use and have often only found myself able to use it later in the day, which I'd rather not do.

My current "stack" is as follows:

NAC 600mg once or twice daily

Multivitamin

B Complex

Vitamin D3

Fish Oil, high dose

Lion's mane/hericium erinaceus "full spectrum" powder, ~600mg twice daily

Additionally I've been taking a 225mg bacopa-extract pill for about a week and unfortunately it seems like I'm experiencing the same brain fog I did the first time I tried it. I need to consult the Longecity community to see if they think it's worth taking it prior to sleep or if this reaction is indicative of a wholly negative response or possible allergy. Yet to try inositol.

I've been sticking with things that aren't especially potent or unique in their actions largely due to the thorough analysis I've been undergoing at Sydney's Brain and Mind Research Institute. After a thorough MRI and EEG (both of which yielded results within a relatively normal range for a male my age, apparently the EEG wasn't completely typical but also not incredibly alarming) as well as psychometric testing and sleep analysis (which I'm due to complete tomorrow through overnight analysis in their on-sight sleep lab, yikes) professor Ian Hickie has put me on the melatonergic antidepressant Valdoxan (agomelatine), and he said if after a week or so on that I haven't experienced significant reduction of my "perceptual symptoms" (which I highly doubt will be the case) then he's going to trial me on Lamotrigine/Lamictal. If anyone could inform me why levetiracetam is generally preferred to lamotrigine on here that'd be good!

I've noted when posting recently a general lack of proper grammar and an impatience for proof-reading. I'm not sure what might be the cause of that; I'm suspecting bacopa. I think I'll just straight up drop it for the moment; bugger, the potential for improved memory was so appealing.

• Upvote 1

Hey Puppeteer!
Nice stack you got going there! Seems you're heading in the right direction with quitting Cymbalta etc.
As for Bacopa: consider using Holy Basil (Tulsi) instead. Also Bacopa is reported to take at least 1 month to be noticeable, and probably 3 months (same goes for Lion's Mane co-incedentally). I posted a video in the "list of plants" topic I opened, but obviously that's not exactly scientific. There's some scientific info on it but I haven't read in to it yet, so can't tell you much about it. Thought you might like to spend some time looking in to it. As for Inositol: I tried that myself and did absolutely nothing for me.. But that doesn't mean it won't help you. As for Lamotrigine vs. Levetiracetam, then Levetiracetam definitely wins in all regards. Pity Aniracetam and ALCAR didn't work for you.. By the way Modafinil is safer and more effective than Adrafinil. I still have a bunch here that I don't use anymore, because whilst it improved my cognition (especially in regards to math) it did sort of made me overstimulated, which is not what I seek. Perhaps I'll try some again, but it can be anxiogenic for me.

Anyway I'll check out your Tumblr thing (that's a blog right?).
Also, I've recently received NAC which I'd like to try. Do you notice any (acute) benefits from it / could you expand on it?
It looks like your making progress nonetheless, and it would appear you've got some good doctors!
Lastly, I've somehow missed your updates on your thread.. I'll read through it today. Sometimes I just see a thread, click it, and think "Ahh my brain is too much in a phunk right now to comprehend this, I'll respond later" but then of course I forget, haha! But looks like some interesting stuff mate, keep it up!

• Upvote 1

I'm aware of the recommended time for Bacopa and Lion's Mane to take effect; however, this time as with last time the bacopa-related brain fog has cropped up within the first week (I'm growing more and more confident that bacopa is the culprit at the moment).

Care to say why you believe lamotrigine to be inferior to levetiracetam? I mentioned to the professor that levetiracetam was far and away the most commonly effective anticonvulsant but he brushed it aside; he seems to particularly favour lamotrigine as a drug generally (I gather he often prescribes it as a "mood stabiliser".

As far as I gathered adrafinil is essentially a precursor to modafinil and whilst you may have to take a little more and wait a little longer for it to take effect you essentially reap the same effects, but that might be a crude understanding. I'd have purchased modafinil if I'd been able to find it online anywhere other than those shady, expensive "pharmacy" websites. Mind sharing where you procured it?

NAC, hmm. It's hard to say. There hasn't been the wow this is so much better immediately sensation some people have reported, but I don't know if that's my current lack of sensitivity/awareness of such changes at work. It definitely doesn't produce negative effects and with anything I've bought I'll tend to exhaust my supply if that's the case. I guess it feels somewhat energising and clarifies my general experience some; sorry to be vague. Sometimes I've taken a whole bunch at once (~3g) and that's definitely anxiogenic to an extent, but in a way that I just kind of wanted to remove myself from the social engangement I was in and think and do things on my own for a while, which is a positive thing to feel in its own way.

Tumblr's an image-focused blog site, yeah. It's mostly just a neat timesink that doesn't feel as unproductive as what I was doing beforehand online (lurking 4chan and aimless unfocused general browsing ha)

• Upvote 1

Oh, yeah, naturally I'll focus some time on looking into tulsi as well as further educating myself on lion's mane and bacopa and anything else that seems useful! I'm definitely feeling a lot more down of late; perhaps I haven't noted the impact of removing Cymbalta too well after all. Oh well, surely I'll be able to replicate its effects with other options that are less negative overall.

• Upvote 1

If I'm not mistaken Longecity is quite littered with the adverse effects of Bacopa you mention, so it's not uncommon.
Pfff I was really in to that info when I needed it, haha! Ehm if I'm not mistaken side-effect wise and safety-wise, and then use efficacy as a side-argument. IIRC Lamotrigine can induce cognitive dysfunction or something.. Check out wiki for general info, though try to quote from direct reliable sources. It's one of those things where I forgot why but know at the time I arrived at the statement it had reason.
Mention that you're not looking for a "mood stabilizer" per se, rather the reason you want an AED is to improve visual/perceptual symptoms. Mention the Keppra study.
As for Adrafinil (again.. memory), I believe there was something about hepatic metabolization issues which is why it's safer than Modafinil. I got my Modafinil from QHI.co.uk, however there are other sites that sell it. I found the brand makes a big difference (which others report as well).. Let me check.. Yeah I used Shire's Alertec (reputed to be the best) which was better than Sunpharma's Modafinil.

No worries about vagueness; I'll just take some NAC now and see for myself!
Hope I didn't miss anything there.

• Upvote 1

Neuro Bliss I believe was mentioned in the following TED talk:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/molly_crockett_beware_neuro_bunk.html

Neuro Bliss is one of the most inferior "brain boosting drinks" I could imagine.
As for NAC; I just posted my experience in the "Supplements that work" thread.
I'm also wondering what dosage you take usually Puppeteer?

P.S. A hint of advice: that background on your Tumblr is fuuuuuudging trippy man. Makes it a bitch to look at it, if I may be so blunt.

• Upvote 1

Neuro Bliss I believe was mentioned in the following TED talk:http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/molly_crockett_beware_neuro_bunk.html

Neuro Bliss is one of the most inferior "brain boosting drinks" I could imagine.

As for NAC; I just posted my experience in the "Supplements that work" thread.

I'm also wondering what dosage you take usually Puppeteer?

Agreed it doesn't work but it actually tastes quite good. Very interested in a theanine trial as my sleep sucks and maybe it will help with the fog.just don't know the regular amount

• Upvote 1

Max dose for L-Theanine was 400mgs/day I believe, though it could be higher.. That's what I adhere to at least.. Can't confirm if it helps my sleep though.
I usually take either 200 or 400 at once.

Things I've found effective for sleep so far: Melatonin, Passion Flower (preferably smoked; more sedating in larger quantities), and possibly Damiana though I have to confirm that (probably trying some tonight again.. I think it's effective but I was dead-tired already). Maybe Magnesium helps too, though of late I've been sleeping quite well anyway so I haven't payed attention. I've also got "Instant Tranquil Ability" (herbal extract blend with several relaxing constituents more effective than e.g. your average OTC 5% Valerian 2% Chamomile etc. tea/pill) which I'll be trying out soon-ish, and I have to test Yarrow again to confirm (hopefully not so much sedating as calming). And if it's real bad some ocean waves/pan flutes/theta waves through my noise-cancelling headphones whist letting my mind wander to wherever it pleases, or I turn on a fan which helps (sound). Also Levetiracetam initially seemed to help sleep but not every night apparently, but that's harder to come by of course. I've also got some 100% Chamomile tea which I need to try out again.

So, as far as sleep goes those are some things to consider. IME there are things more effective for sleep than Theanine.

• Upvote 1

Max dose for L-Theanine was 400mgs/day I believe, though it could be higher.. That's what I adhere to at least.. Can't confirm if it helps my sleep though.

I usually take either 200 or 400 at once.

Things I've found effective for sleep so far: Melatonin, Passion Flower (preferably smoked; more sedating in larger quantities), and possibly Damiana though I have to confirm that (probably trying some tonight again.. I think it's effective but I was dead-tired already). Maybe Magnesium helps too, though of late I've been sleeping quite well anyway so I haven't payed attention. I've also got "Instant Tranquil Ability" (herbal extract blend with several relaxing constituents more effective than e.g. your average OTC 5% Valerian 2% Chamomile etc. tea/pill) which I'll be trying out soon-ish, and I have to test Yarrow again to confirm (hopefully not so much sedating as calming). And if it's real bad some ocean waves/pan flutes/theta waves through my noise-cancelling headphones whist letting my mind wander to wherever it pleases, or I turn on a fan which helps (sound). Also Levetiracetam initially seemed to help sleep but not every night apparently, but that's harder to come by of course. I've also got some 100% Chamomile tea which I need to try out again.

So, as far as sleep goes those are some things to consider. IME there are things more effective for sleep than Theanine.

I was thinking for foggy feeling but melatonin I had some messed up visual every time I took it

• Upvote 1

Here's what I take in the morning that can help brainfog (usually in after I take these I feel a little clearer but not drastically, and also doesn't last to long):

B vitamins (sublingual B12 5000mcg's in my case)
Ginseng Extract
Black Tea

So far I've yet to find a proper foggyness reducer, but I'm working on it. Perhaps ALCAR and Yarrow, though again, I have to try it longer before making conclusions. The idea is to find something that's anxiolytic, yet not sedating, and simultanuously substantially nootropic and stimulating-without-anxiogenesis.

My absolute #1 therapy for brainfog so far has been tDCS, but I don't do that anymore (forgot how I built the device, how to use it, plus it's a little Frankensteinian, and too lazy to measure my skull again).

But I digress; don't want to derail Puppeteer's topic :)

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...