How do you deal with the insomnia?

historically I drank, thats not a choice now, my benzo use is too high now as well (and it'd take a metric ton to help me sleep). I exercise I watch movies I surf the net...... anything actually help?

Melatonin, valerian root, california poppy, kava, l theanine. Try these supplements. All promote sleep. The kava will kill your anxiety as well if you deal with that.

Just getting into a routine has helped me alot.

Wake at 8am every day.... Breakfast, dinner and tea at the same time each day.... Make sure the tv is off after midnight, regardless of how awake i feel.

Sticking to this routine has improved my insomnia so much

Just getting into a routine has helped me alot.

Wake at 8am every day.... Breakfast, dinner and tea at the same time each day.... Make sure the tv is off after midnight, regardless of how awake i feel.

Sticking to this routine has improved my insomnia so much

Absolutely!  Good sleep 'hygiene' is most important. 

Melatonin is useful ... just don't get carried away

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• Don't drink coffee after 4 pm. Switch to tea if you must.
  • The supplements bpl mentioned are also definitely worth a shot, Kava does wonders for insomnia, and is one of the few sustainable substances lacking ill effects or addictive properties.
  • Phenibut can be used on occasion, but only on occasion. It's basically an OTC benzo.
  • Make sure you get sufficient exercise in the day, making you more prone to sleep at night. Doing some push-ups and other exercises before dinner can definitely help, then making use of the post-dinner lethargy can aid your falling asleep.
  • As cliché as it is, warm milk with honey and .... what's the stuff. Anijs? Google translate... Anise! That can make a difference, if not at least calming you down a bit.
  • Don't smoke in the hour prior to bed. Refrain from alcohol as well.
  • Try writing if you really can't sleep, sometimes there's just to many thoughts in your head.
  • Getting into a rhythm is also key. If you find there's nothing to wake up for, then dedicate yourself to making an awesomely elaborative healthy breakfast every morning. Add cleaning up, and you've already made it through an hour of the day at least.
  • Perhaps get a small pet to take care of, like a rat. They're intelligent, empathetic animals that require your attention and time. Remember to get them in pairs. This can fill a good portion of your day.
  • Doing simple, slow stretches can really help, like yoga. Keep doing these however lame it feels, untill you feel some relief. Remember, gentle attitude helps. Wave away those thoughts, however disturbing they might be. Breathe.
  • Have a playlist of soft, relaxing music, if you feel the need for it. Waves crashing on the beach, or tropical rainforest soundtracks can help.
  • I haven't tried it myself, but I am planning to: aromatherapy sounds lame, but having a nice scent to help faciliate a relaxed atmosphere could be beneficial.
  • Hang a picture of a beautiful, or memorable landscape on the ceiling above your bed, try to dream away if you can't keep your eyes closed.
  • If you still aren't able to go to bed at a proper time, try to set an alarm. E.g. you're awake untill 7 am, set an alarm for (minimal) 5, or (maximum) 8 hours later. 7+5=lunchtime. This can make the difference between sleeping the next night, and doing the whole thing over again. You will not have had enough sleep, and thus you will sleep earlier. Try to sleep before lunchtime. If not, say you fall asleep at 4pm, try to calculate how to go about with sleep that will result in waking up in the morning. So 4 pm, you haven't slept all night, so you are tired. Sleep untill 8 or 9, stay awake untill 2 or 3, sleep untill 7-9, 10 at most. This can help break you back into rhythm.
  • If all else fails, watch a lot of movies, or research stuff on the internet that interests you, untill you can't anymore, and then do the above.
  • Count your breath. Even with a shitty memory, you can always count 1 in, and 2 out. Whenever your attention shifts, bring it back to your breathe. Meditation for the invigilant :)

That's all I can think of for now. Reading all that makes me sleepy! I'll add more if I think of anything useful.

Sleep well!