Trouble Speaking

bpl4269

Do any of you with depersonalization feel like you cant speak? Almost like your choked up? I feel this and Im not sure whether this is because my own voice sounds strange to me and I avoid speaking, but this is stressful to me. I want to be calm and sociable again? Is this a common thing? Any advice?

• Upvote 1

I have that problem, it really sucks. I feel so cognitively bad. I feel out of my body watching myself talking and that drives me crazy. I just want to come back to the real world. It's like I really need a bucket of water to my face.

Hey bpl,
I have the same issue. Ever since HPPD my articulation is freaking horrible! I used to give 15 minute speaches 3 times a day before an audience of up to 30 people, and once a week before 200 people without any problems. I was always loud and clear, never even had the slightest anxiety whilst doing it. Nowadays when I buy tobacco, I ask for a "plack of smigarettes". It's like my mouth and tongue feel different, and my control of it is diminished. Everything is slurred.
Eventually I gave up trying to sound like I used to, and then I learned how to talk with my "new voice". Sure, I sound strange, but I'm audible. I think it's also anxiety-related though. Personally I hope this will ameliorate itself with Keppra, if I ever get the stuff. Also, seeing as forming thought becomes a strange task with HPPD, perhaps it is because of the lack of clarity with your "thought-voice". Visualizing what you are going to do and say becomes difficult and blurred, so the actual action inherits those qualities. For that same reason, I frequently spill a drink 'cause I take to big of a gulp. Getting off-topic though. Anecdotal evidence suggests Wellbutrin could help with speech. Good luck with it :)

I actually find that kava helps with my dp and speech issues. I feel more calm and collected and can more easily gather my thoughts when I'm speaking like I used to. Thanks onedayillsailagain for turning me onto the kava again :) It has really helped me these past few days with my anxiety and dp. I no longer get head pressure from it.

• 2 months later...

Area 45 receives more afferent connections from prefrontal cortex, the superior temporal gyrus, and the superior temporal sulcus, compared to area 44, which tends to receive more afferent connections from motor, somatosensory, and inferior parietal regions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broca's_area

Afferent connections from the PFC may be contributing to this, as there has been shown to be a measure of inhibition of non-visual cortical areas in HPPD.

The somatosensory link is obviously also of note.

PFC dysfunction (regardless the cause) would then be able to contribute to speech problems.

Anxiety and stress are detrimental to PFC functioning, so go figure :)

• 2 weeks later...

Brain fog and DP/DR are close relatives..

I have ADHD and mild autism, motoric dysfunction and dysarthria http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysarthria.

But since I got HPPD and DP/DR I must say the speech problems got even worse.

Keppra has increased my ability to articulate words and form sentences a bit but the problems are not completely gone..

• Upvote 1