Melatonin/Valerian root - Visual Reduction

bpl4269

Alright, so last night before bed I took 3 capsules of Valerian Root and 2 3 mg tablets of melatonin. This morning I woke up and my starbursts were greatly reduced. Still noticeable, but bearable. Normally I would see many filaments of light extending from any given light source, but today it was only noticeable on chrome surfaces, and it was much smaller and less defined. And also, there are bare lightbulbs in my basement that are normally a source of awful starbursting, but today there was virtually nothing coming from them. Only a faint halo and maybe a small filament of light extending outward at a certain angle. Nothing like the usual array of small and large beams covering my field of vision. So what do you guys think of this? I will be trying the melatonin again tonight and will report back tomorrow on my symptoms.

Yeah thats around when i started to see a lot of progress. Its sooner than most people on here see improvement but I bet a lot of people recover before finding this site. Give it some time don't look to prescriptions untill at least 6 months in because there is always a chance that medicine will make you regress and this early on you have a great chance of natural recovery.

Yeah thats around when i started to see a lot of progress. Its sooner than most people on here see improvement but I bet a lot of people recover before finding this site. Give it some time don't look to prescriptions untill at least 6 months in because there is always a chance that medicine will make you regress and this early on you have a great chance of natural recovery.

I know its kind of dumb to even think about doing, but do you think ill ever be able to smoke pot again? I just loved it so much and it did so many good things for me.

This is purely conjecture, but I think different drugs cause different sorts of HPPD.  Some of them are related to up or downregulation of neurotransmitters.  It's also hypothetically possible that it's from direct damage to the brain.  If it's the former, recovery comes when neurotransmitter levels revert over time, and you should be able to go back to whatever you were doing before.  Other more insidious causes may mean a longer recovery (or no recovery) and regression when drugs are used in the future.

Even if my reasoning is wrong (and it may be - please correct me if it is) the bottom line is generally the same: maybe.  You won't know until you try and you need to consider the risk of regression when you're contemplating smoking again.

It may help a lot if you tell us about how how your HPPD started and such.  There may be somebody who acquired it under similar circumstances and recovered that can shed some light.

This is purely conjecture, but I think different drugs cause different sorts of HPPD.  Some of them are related to up or downregulation of neurotransmitters.  It's also hypothetically possible that it's from direct damage to the brain.  If it's the former, recovery comes when neurotransmitter levels revert over time, and you should be able to go back to whatever you were doing before.  Other more insidious causes may mean a longer recovery (or no recovery) and regression when drugs are used in the future.

Even if my reasoning is wrong (and it may be - please correct me if it is) the bottom line is generally the same: maybe.  You won't know until you try and you need to consider the risk of regression when you're contemplating smoking again.

It may help a lot if you tell us about how how your HPPD started and such.  There may be som

ebody who acquired it under similar circumstances and recovered that can shed some light.

It may help a lot if you tell us about how how your HPPD started and such.  There may be somebody who acquired it under similar circumstances and recovered that can shed some light.

Mine was aquired from the use of lsd and smoking pot consistently for almost a year prior.

Interesting Ill have to try that. I have pretty bad starbursting. For about a year almost now. Thats about my only real symptom nowadays. Unless I drink or something, then the nexy day I get DP'd. Every now and then a little anxiety. But 9/10 most days if I pretend I dont have any visuals.

So, my starbursting is back to normal. Just as bad or worse than before... fuck, im so discouraged right now. I swear every day I think about just offing myself, driving off the road into a goddamn tree or something. If it were just the starbursting, I could deal with it, but im so afraid this dp/dr isnt going to go away. I want me back...

So, my starbursting is back to normal. Just as bad or worse than before... fuck, im so discouraged right now. I swear every day I think about just offing myself, driving off the road into a goddamn tree or something. If it were just the starbursting, I could deal with it, but im so afraid this dp/dr isnt going to go away. I want me back...

I'm right there with you.

I took melatonin for two months without any significant result, only a little better rested. From what I can talk about is that being away from social life-work and stay focused/sober on what you really like and really resting well, im not aware of the visuals.

• 3 years later...

I have had interesting results with valerian. If I take it every day at 800 mg at night I have a huge reduction in DP. I'm talkative and happy during the day and notice a big difference in my social life and general happiness. However after a week I start noticing anxiety during the day and after cessation of valerian panic attacks for about a week to 10 days. This is after 7 days of valerian use. Recently I tried every other day and had a similar experience. It's something I think I can use every once in a while if I want to have a great day the following day but long term use isn't worth it and makes things worse than before m while withdrawing.

It is interesting bough. I've heard it works on benzo receptors? Not 100 percent on that. Either way I think they effect the brain for much longer than you can "feel" it in the system

• 3 months later...

After several experiments with valerian I've come to the conclusion that I can no longer tolerate it. It helps so much with sleep and the next day I feel like I have large amounts of energy and a significant relief of physical malaise. I even feel like dancing. However I'm starting to realize it's more of a mania than just a reduction in symptoms. I don't seem to make good choices... (looking at you night in Bangkok where I spent $1000 on a dinner and made some other risky choices ;D)

ive noticed too that after the mania there is a huge increase in anxiety and depression. The longer I've been taking it the worse the rebound is. I don't know if this is normal for hppd though. I've watched a similar reaction in those with bipolar (tonight in fact; I had to stop a girl from going on a walk in the snow without shoes...)